Is It Better To Consume More Carbs In AM Or PM?

jet9

Guys hi,
As the title says i wonder is it better to consume more carbs in AM or PM?
Theoretically you are more carb sensitive in AM, but i read lots of opinions when people say they can't touch carbs for breakfast, and eat them only for lunch and mostly dinner.
What are your observations on the topic?

--------------------------------

Here is interesting study suggesting that more carbs should be consumed in AM:
The effect of diurnal distribution of carbohydrates and fat on glycaemic control in humans: a randomized controlled trial

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I found some quotes from a member suggesting the majority of protein is best before sunset. RP stands for Ray Peat.
RP recommends easy to digest food after
sunset as our digestive power slows down after that.
He also recommends that we eat most of the protein
during the day , sugar and fat in the evening.
RP suggests simple foods before bed so that by the time you go to bed your stomach has less irritant and
endotoxin. I am assuming your have digestion issues. If i were you i would experiment with
cottage cheese/farmers cheese and honey or sugar after sunset and see how it affects my sleep.
Avoiding tryptophan rich food after sunset is helpful in reducing
stress during sleep. RP recommends most of the protein be eaten
during day time as digestion slows down after sunset. After sunset
carb and fat are suitable. A glass of milk or some cottage cheese
with some extra sugar helps with sleep quality and keeping stress hormones
in check through out the night. Lactose, fructose, sucrose are very good
at repleting liver glycogen to provide energy during sleep.

OP
J

jet9

I found some quotes from a member suggesting the majority of protein is best before sunset. RP stands for Ray Peat.
Thanks for interesting quotes. I am asking about carbs though.

Ulysses

Thanks for interesting quotes. I am asking about carbs though.
That's what the quotes are talking about, too - the point @Mittir was making is that "simple carbs" such as lactose, fructose, and sucrose are digested rapidly and easily in the upper GI tract, and as such, are not fermented inside the intestine. Ditto for dairy protein. The strategy then is to eat hard-to-digest foods earlier, and everything else later in the day. So long as you can tolerate dairy, this minimizes the risk of bloating, gas, endotoxin etc., which are all likely to occur in the evening than in the morning.

Just to give an example, for a while I was eating half a pound of steak every day, and I felt much better if this was eaten for breakfast instead of dinner.

OP
J

jet9

"simple carbs" such as lactose, fructose, and sucrose are digested rapidly and easily in the upper GI tract, and as such, are not fermented inside the intestine.
i see, so simple carbs are ok to eat in evening, but more complex ones (starch) should be avoided, correct?

Just to give an example, for a while I was eating half a pound of steak every day, and I felt much better if this was eaten for breakfast instead of dinner.
Totally agree on protein. 90% of my protein is consumed on breakfast and lunch and i feel much better this way too.

Cirion

I would argue carbs are important at all times of the day especially when you're hypo. Although emphasis should be morning, and night. Morning because your blood sugar is lowest here, and night so that you can top off your stores to last you through the night.

Oops, didn't see that this was somewhat of a thread necro. Oh well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals