Is Teflon / PTFE Safe Under 500 Degrees?

paka

One thread author has said that PTFE is not safe despite what Ray Peat says. That it is toxic at 500 degrees. I know that PTFE degrades at high temperatures.

Here is the thread: The truth about TEFLON

Can you still use it for baking stuff below 300 degrees? Is it toxic at room temperature?

Did Ray Peat say it's safe? I'm using uncoated dental floss but I feel like it's even worse because of all the little strands that break off and you eat.

DaveFoster

One thread author has said that PTFE is not safe despite what Ray Peat says. That it is toxic at 500 degrees. I know that PTFE degrades at high temperatures.

Here is the thread: The truth about TEFLON

Can you still use it for baking stuff below 300 degrees? Is it toxic at room temperature?
It's very unlikely to be toxic at room temperature unless you eat it. I've heard from multiple sources that it's safe to use as a lining in rice cookers because the temperature doesn't get above 250 degrees F (for example.)

Herbie

I thought the main concern with teflon was when people use steel utensils or steel wool to clean which scratches the teflon or when they burn things into the coating and breaks down which then allows the teflon makes it way into the food.

If its well looked after and use only wood or plastic utensils it would be safer.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals