Itching May Be Driven By Serotonin

Regina

The *cillins are different molecules even though they have some similarities with the *cyclines. But it is possible, some people allergic to one antibiotic cannot take any from a related class.
Oy. I better stay healthy then.

I think I will take some time off the lapodin and re-test as an isolation test. Thank you.

unicorn

I have always wondered about this phenomenon and why it is that people with chronic conditions or depression seem to have a problem with excessive itching. It turns out that itching is closely related to pain and as such the release of serotonin. I already posted about the relationship between serotonin and pain in this thread.
Chronic Pain Disorder Is Mediated By Serotonin

So, rather than scratching your itch you may be better off reaching for the Benadryl or cyproheptadine.
Why scratching makes you itch more
"...The findings, in mice, are reported online in the journal Neuron. The same vicious cycle of itching and scratching is thought to occur in humans, and the research provides new clues that may help break that cycle, particularly in people who experience chronic itching. Scientists have known for decades that scratching creates a mild amount of pain in the skin, said senior investigator Zhou-Feng Chen, PhD, director of Washington University's Center for the Study of Itch. That pain can interfere with itching -- at least temporarily -- by getting nerve cells in the spinal cord to carry pain signals to the brain instead of itch signals. "The problem is that when the brain gets those pain signals, it responds by producing the neurotransmitter serotonin to help control that pain," Chen explained. "But as serotonin spreads from the brain into the spinal cord, we found the chemical can 'jump the tracks,' moving from pain-sensing neurons to nerve cells that influence itch intensity."

"..."So this fits very well with the idea that itch and pain signals are transmitted through different but related pathways," said Chen, a professor of anesthesiology, of psychiatry and of developmental biology. "Scratching can relieve itch by creating minor pain. But when the body responds to pain signals, that response actually can make itching worse." Although interfering with serotonin made mice less sensitive to itch, Chen said it's not practical to try to treat itching by trying to block the release of serotonin."

Would you say this goes for Pruritus Anii as well?

lukashenko

I am always itchy. From sun, from stress, from increasing temperature. Only on cold days (below 20 degrees celsius). Been taking aspirine and cypro since they apparently help but I have not got any benefit. I may even feel a little worse.

Kray

I am always itchy. From sun, from stress, from increasing temperature. Only on cold days (below 20 degrees celsius). Been taking aspirine and cypro since they apparently help but I have not got any benefit. I may even feel a little worse.
@lukashenko Did you ever quell your itch? Please share any updates if any.

lukashenko

@lukashenko Did you ever quell your itch? Please share any updates if any.
I stopped consuming oranges and moved to a warmer and dryer city because I couldnt handle it anymore, I havent had any problems since then. Ill be back to my city this july. Then I could possibly tell you if quitting oranges was actually it.

Kray

I stopped consuming oranges and moved to a warmer and dryer city because I couldnt handle it anymore, I havent had any problems since then. Ill be back to my city this july. Then I could possibly tell you if quitting oranges was actually it.
Great to hear you're better. Hope it stays that way. Thanks for responding!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals