Lamotrigine (Lamictal)

satsumass

Forum Supporter
Boards are full of people who have suffered terrible effects. Just google. Very harmful stuff.

Once again, you’re repeating a slanted viewpoint based on anecdote and irrational bias against “mainstream medicine”. Boards are also filled with glowing testimonials. I gave my personal experience as a counterweight to the totally ridiculous anecdotal based reasoning in this thread, and also repeated the mainstream consensus among thousands of clinicians who treat dozens of patients in their practice with BP2 And related disorders with lamotrigine and have seen it’s positive effects.

It has one of the best benefit/side effect ratios around And should not be vilified. It is totally delusional to believe cyprohep., a potent antihistamine and 5hta antagonist (which effects typically include an INCREASE in dopaminergic tone, FWIW) is a more suitable drug.

Dhair

Once again, you’re repeating a slanted viewpoint based on anecdote and irrational bias against “mainstream medicine”. Boards are also filled with glowing testimonials. I gave my personal experience as a counterweight to the totally ridiculous anecdotal based reasoning in this thread, and also repeated the mainstream consensus among thousands of clinicians who treat dozens of patients in their practice with BP2 And related disorders with lamotrigine and have seen it’s positive effects.

It has one of the best benefit/side effect ratios around And should not be vilified. It is totally delusional to believe cyprohep., a potent antihistamine and 5hta antagonist (which effects typically include an INCREASE in dopaminergic tone, FWIW) is a more suitable drug.
You are wrong. Cyproheptadine is not dopaminergic.
Try to understand that many of us have been severely injured by doctors and dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. Most of these drugs are neither safe nor necessary. No one is trying to dictate what kind of drug Dave decides to take - we are simply trying to give an assessment of the possible risks involved.

Last edited:

satsumass

Forum Supporter
You are wrong. Cyproheptadine is not dopaminergic.
Try to understand that many of us have been severely injured by doctors and dangerous pharmaceutical drugs. Most of these drugs are neither safe nor necessary. No one is trying to dictate what kind of drug Dave decides to take - we are simply trying to give an assessment of the possible risks involved.

Fair enough re: being injured by poor treatment–understand. Your first statement is inaccurate, and reflects the main general issue I have with this particular discussion board. It is absolutely "dopaminergic" but it may also be anti-dopaminergic. The body does not work in a simplistic lock-and-key fashion. Cypro is a potent anticholinergic, which has pro-dopaminergic and dopamine sensitizing effects, long known to exist from TCA days. 5ht2a absolutely increases dopaminergic tone in the frontal cortex; this is thought to be the mechanism of action of the cognition improving effect of atypical antipsychotics.

The dose makes the poison. I reacted strongly to this thread because of the pile-on negative remarks about what is known to be one of the safest and most effective psychiatric drugs.

Dhair

Fair enough re: being injured by poor treatment–understand. Your first statement is inaccurate, and reflects the main general issue I have with this particular discussion board. It is absolutely "dopaminergic" but it may also be anti-dopaminergic. The body does not work in a simplistic lock-and-key fashion. Cypro is a potent anticholinergic, which has pro-dopaminergic and dopamine sensitizing effects, long known to exist from TCA days. 5ht2a absolutely increases dopaminergic tone in the frontal cortex; this is thought to be the mechanism of action of the cognition improving effect of atypical antipsychotics.

The dose makes the poison. I reacted strongly to this thread because of the pile-on negative remarks about what is known to be one of the safest and most effective psychiatric drugs.
Cyproheptadine antagonizes the D3 receptor in fairly low doses. This is actually why Ray Peat only recommends taking low doses for a week or two. Studies show that it has antipsychotic type effects in higher doses. Whether this is due to overall dopamine antagonism or not is up for debate, and I guess it depends on if you believe in the overactive dopamine "receptor" theory of schizophrenia/psychosis or not.

Last edited:

It isn’t irrational. And I have a family member on it. Clinicians recommending it? Hardly a good argument. I posted a study showing testicle atrophy. Eye problems are very common. I am looking for studies. It is very difficult because such studies aren’t funded easily.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

I find cyproheptadine great for mood stabilization and anxiolytic effects, but it's unreasonable to take 40 mg daily for issues of hepatotoxicity.

Come on Dave, don't go pharm. What is your eating schedule like? I think the science is in on restricted eating windows solving a host of problems.

InChristAlone

Yeah you can't keep taking so much cyproheptadine. I use .5 mg and my liver enzymes were above normal. I can't imagine 30!!! Plus the long term effects are probably going to be hard to reverse. I couldn't stand a week being off. I wasn't acting like myself anymore. I think it does increase dopamine. When I need it in the winter!

What does Haidut think? He seems to know about chemicals more than most.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Come on Dave, don't go pharm. What is your eating schedule like? I think the science is in on restricted eating windows solving a host of problems.
I eat whatever I feel like with no restrictions except avoiding oils. Eating enough salt's important, but diet has never been enough, and it will take about a year to get to a good thyroid dosage.

I already take 45 mg mirtazapine daily, and it's helped tremendously with pretty much everything. I don't plan to be on these drugs for more than a couple years, and certainly not at these dosages. It's just ridiculous taking grams of pregnenolone and hundreds of IU's of progest-E to feel tolerable. Although fine in the summer, in the winter it's too much stress.

If I stop, then the ***t hits the fan. I've tried not taking anything and just working on diet while being surrounded by my family; it was an absolute disaster. I've done the ketogenic diet, low-carb diet, low-fat diet, raw carnivore diet, paleo diet, intermittent fasting, fasting for days at a time, restricted eating, and eating whatever I feel like. Honestly, eating whatever I feel like and crave makes me feel the best (overall). I've tried increasing testosterone through "alternative means" [D-aspartic acid] with horrible results, crushing estrogen (also debilitating), and it's still not enough, so thyroid. The minuscule increments of thyroid that I must consume without becoming tachycardic and anxious contributes to my self-perception as a particularly "lesser human" as one of my exes once commented.

The whole behavioral thing (as in forcing myself to go to the gym when I feel tired), or forcing myself around others when I have an inclination to not be there: absolutely horrible, and I've felt my worst doing these kind of interventions (borderline psychotic actually). My body constantly directs me in a way (Dr. Peat calls in an internal guidance), and I prioritize the most holistic methods first, but when it's not enough, it's not enough. I have plenty of friends who vape several hundred milligrams of nicotine and drink their weight in alcohol per week, and I certainly could be among them, but I choose hormones and the "healthy drugs."

Honestly, cyproheptadine could have some severe side effect of premature aging due to the dopamine antagonism (similar to the negative effects of antipsychotics.) For all I know, I'd live longer if I chain smoked organic tobacco and had a few beers every night rather than taking hundreds of milligrams of this pseudo-antipsychotic every week. I'll likely never know, and my decision to take the drug bases on haidut's off-hand remark that cyproheptadine doesn't seem to contribute to "Parkinson symptoms," but maybe the weight gain and subsequent estrogen increase would be enough to offset that potential non-problem (when in all likelihood it could be a problem!)

I'm tired, bored, lonely, stressed, anxious, and many of those emotions simultaneously, (and I must say it's an experience to feel anxiety and suicidal depression at the same time.) My hairline has begun its retreat with such rapid succession that I'll assuredly be completely bald within 3 years (from a full head of hair 6 months ago). The fleeting window of euphoria or even feelings of normalcy make me deeply depressed in reflection, and I couldn't think of a more soul-crushing environment than academia, where I chose to invest my energies (because I'm an absolute coward). Even still, I know that I do not have the surplus energies to both succeed here (or in work life), and also to invest in my creative endeavors. I'm simultaneously disgusted and enraged at the suffering that goes on around me, of which I'm a participant (but by no means the only one), so I think I'll try my hand at something else, albeit with caution, or else it's assuredly the path of a stoner and alcoholic.

Yeah you can't keep taking so much cyproheptadine. I use .5 mg and my liver enzymes were above normal. I can't imagine 30!!! Plus the long term effects are probably going to be hard to reverse. I couldn't stand a week being off. I wasn't acting like myself anymore. I think it does increase dopamine. When I need it in the winter!

What does Haidut think? He seems to know about chemicals more than most.
I've made massive changes in the dosage with no ill effects. The more I take the better I feel, but I'm limiting it to 16 mg in the morning and maybe 2 mg at points throughout the day for nausea, appetite regulation and IBS.

I don't know what haidut thinks, but Dr. Peat recommends thyroid and vitamin D. I've been taking vitamin D, and see my response to robknob.

Last edited:

InChristAlone

I eat whatever I feel like with no restrictions except avoiding oils. Eating enough salt's important, but diet has never been enough, and it will take about a year to get to a good thyroid dosage.

I already take 45 mg mirtazapine daily, and it's helped tremendously with pretty much everything. I don't plan to be on these drugs for more than a couple years, and certainly not at these dosages. It's just ridiculous taking grams of pregnenolone and hundreds of IU's of progest-E to feel tolerable. Although fine in the summer, in the winter it's too much stress.

If I stop, then the ***t hits the fan. I've tried not taking anything and just working on diet while being surrounded by my family; it was an absolute disaster. I've done the ketogenic diet, low-carb diet, low-fat diet, raw carnivore diet, paleo diet, intermittent fasting, fasting for days at a time, restricted eating, and eating whatever I feel like. Honestly, eating whatever I feel like and crave makes me feel the best (overall). I've tried increasing testosterone through "alternative means" [D-aspartic acid] with horrible results, crushing estrogen (also debilitating), and it's still not enough, so thyroid. The minuscule increments of thyroid that I must consume without becoming tachycardic and anxious contributes to my self-perception as a particularly "lesser human" as one of my exes once commented.

The whole behavioral thing (as in forcing myself to go to the gym when I feel tired), or forcing myself around others when I have an inclination to not be there: absolutely horrible, and I've felt my worst doing these kind of interventions (borderline psychotic actually). My body constantly directs me in a way (Dr. Peat calls in an internal guidance), and I prioritize the most holistic methods first, but when it's not enough, it's not enough. I have plenty of friends who vape several hundred milligrams of nicotine and drink their weight in alcohol per week, and I certainly could be among them, but I choose hormones and the "healthy drugs."

Honestly, cyproheptadine could have some severe side effect of premature aging due to the dopamine antagonism (similar to the negative effects of antipsychotics.) For all I know, I'd live longer if I chain smoked organic tobacco and had a few beers every night rather than taking hundreds of milligrams of this pseudo-antipsychotic every week. I'll likely never know, and my decision to take the drug bases on haidut's off-hand remark that cyproheptadine doesn't seem to contribute to "Parkinson symptoms," but maybe the weight gain and subsequent estrogen increase would be enough to offset that potential non-problem (when in all likelihood it could be a problem!)

I'm tired, bored, lonely, stressed, anxious, and many of those emotions simultaneously, (and I must say it's an experience to feel anxiety and suicidal depression at the same time.) My hairline has begun its retreat with such rapid succession that I'll assuredly be completely bald within 3 years (from a full head of hair 6 months ago). The fleeting window of euphoria or even feelings of normalcy make me deeply depressed in reflection, and I couldn't think of a more soul-crushing environment than academia, where I chose to invest my energies (because I'm an absolute coward). Even still, I know that I do not have the surplus energies to both succeed here (or in work life), and also to invest in my creative endeavors. I'm simultaneously disgusted and enraged at the suffering that goes on around me, of which I'm a participant (but by no means the only one), so I think I'll try my hand at something else, albeit with caution, or else it's assuredly the path of a stoner and alcoholic.

I've made massive changes in the dosage with no ill effects. The more I take the better I feel, but I'm limiting it to 16 mg in the morning and maybe 2 mg at points throughout the day for nausea, appetite regulation and IBS.

I don't know what haidut thinks, but Dr. Peat recommends thyroid and vitamin D. I've been taking vitamin D, and see my response to robknob.
Have you ever been in the Facebook RP groups? There are some really great people there. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist was poisoned by vitamin D, she lost her health after that and had suffered from suicidal depression many times she has only used the sun or tanning beds since then. I do not agree with taking vit D. Have you ever tried UVB?

And I'd love to see your hair test. :blush:

I also think attempting to get on thyroid for you sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But that's just me and I don't hold it against Peat but there are many more Peat failures that aren't around anymore to share their story. I try to stick around because I enjoy the convos. I have another friend where he still has severe health problems, despite trying to figure out thyroid dosage for yrs. His reverse T3 is elevated, his cholesterol is on the way up, his pulse is dangerously low. He's worked with many practitioners. Thyroid is a land mine for those who don't really have thyroid destruction. Another friend takes a bit of T3 early in the morning to regulate cortisol. That seems like a more sensible approach than trying to mimick the gland. But she also is a a huge fan of working on habits of the mind which is probably what I'll be doing the rest of my life. I'd hate to be a Peat practitioner because I'd just tell them the basics then say ok now we will work on your mind. Lol.

Dhair

I know you absolutely do not want to hear this, but I think it really is time to consider that these drugs and supplements, especially at the dosages you're taking, may be working against against you in a dangerous way.
I have been down the road you're on when it comes to supplementation/self medicating, and to an extent it is something that i still struggle with, but I have learned some very valuable lessons (the hard way) in the past year or so. You start taking something, and it feels like it's curing you, so you ignore you body and mind while stubbornly pursuing that feeling of being "healthy," or what you imagine healthy feels like.
I think Janelle is absolutely right about thyroid supplementation in your case. Remember how bad you felt with the letrozole/clonidine ordeal? An adrenergic crisis situation caused by thyroid sensitivity can be just as bad. I know you will tell me that you are carefully titrating the dose, but ask yourself this: How likely is it that this will be the magic bullet? Even Dr. Peat himself said that once PUFA is mostly depleted in the tissues after 4 years of PUFA-free eating, your metabolism will stabilize at a higher level, at which point thyroid supplementation should be unnecessary for most people.
Of course things aren't going to feel right if you stop taking the cyproheptadine, or anything else for that matter. Even lowering the dose will feel uncomfortable because you have been taking it for so long. The reality is that most people taking any one of the things you're taking would eventually stop due to the side effects. If each day feels worse, then you need to begin making incremental changes in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Have you ever been in the Facebook RP groups? There are some really great people there. A friend of mine who is an accupuncturist was poisoned by vitamin D, she lost her health after that and had suffered from suicidal depression many times she has only used the sun or tanning beds since then. I do not agree with taking vit D. Have you ever tried UVB?

And I'd love to see your hair test. :blush:

I also think attempting to get on thyroid for you sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But that's just me and I don't hold it against Peat but there are many more Peat failures that aren't around anymore to share their story. I try to stick around because I enjoy the convos. I have another friend where he still has severe health problems, despite trying to figure out thyroid dosage for yrs. His reverse T3 is elevated, his cholesterol is on the way up, his pulse is dangerously low. He's worked with many practitioners. Thyroid is a land mine for those who don't really have thyroid destruction. Another friend takes a bit of T3 early in the morning to regulate cortisol. That seems like a more sensible approach than trying to mimick the gland. But she also is a a huge fan of working on habits of the mind which is probably what I'll be doing the rest of my life. I'd hate to be a Peat practitioner because I'd just tell them the basics then say ok now we will work on your mind. Lol.
I'll check out the RP Facebook group. I try everything, and a lot of things on here work for me. I'm curious to see what happens with thyroid.

I know you absolutely do not want to hear this, but I think it really is time to consider that these drugs and supplements, especially at the dosages you're taking, may be working against against you in a dangerous way.
I have been down the road you're on when it comes to supplementation/self medicating, and to an extent it is something that i still struggle with, but I have learned some very valuable lessons (the hard way) in the past year or so. You start taking something, and it feels like it's curing you, so you ignore you body and mind while stubbornly pursuing that feeling of being "healthy," or what you imagine healthy feels like.
I think Janelle is absolutely right about thyroid supplementation in your case. Remember how bad you felt with the letrozole/clonidine ordeal? An adrenergic crisis situation caused by thyroid sensitivity can be just as bad. I know you will tell me that you are carefully titrating the dose, but ask yourself this: How likely is it that this will be the magic bullet? Even Dr. Peat himself said that once PUFA is mostly depleted in the tissues after 4 years of PUFA-free eating, your metabolism will stabilize at a higher level, at which point thyroid supplementation should be unnecessary for most people.
Of course things aren't going to feel right if you stop taking the cyproheptadine, or anything else for that matter. Even lowering the dose will feel uncomfortable because you have been taking it for so long. The reality is that most people taking any one of the things you're taking would eventually stop due to the side effects. If each day feels worse, then you need to begin making incremental changes in the opposite direction.
Like I said, I felt much better in the summer.

I get what you're saying, but if you read my post, I've tried stopping everything, and then reintroducing things gradually. I don't think I'll have adrenergic crisis since I'm increasing the dosage at about 1 grain per year with regular labs.

If I believed thyroid to be a magic bullet, then I might just suffer until I up the dose. If thyroid doesn't work, then I'll adjust and change my approach.

InChristAlone

I'll check out the RP Facebook group. I try everything, and a lot of things on here work for me. I'm curious to see what happens with thyroid.

Like I said, I felt much better in the summer.

I get what you're saying, but if you read my post, I've tried stopping everything, and then reintroducing things gradually. I don't think I'll have adrenergic crisis since I'm increasing the dosage at about 1 grain per year with regular labs.

If I believed thyroid to be a magic bullet, then I might just suffer until I up the dose. If thyroid doesn't work, then I'll adjust and change my approach.
So how long did you go with nothing not even mag?

It really could be something you've been taking. And it could take a while to figure it out. For me that was coffee. I know people don't want to hear that around here but seems like the theme for me lately is saying things people don't want to hear.

Then I figured out magnesium causes some kind of buzzing in my brain which can make me anxious. Went almost a yr without any mag, tried it again in the past couple days and there it is again! So weird. Because I know I need it, but I have zero tolerance for things that lead to stressful thoughts. And that Dave is how I got better. Zero tolerance. End the suffering.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

So how long did you go with nothing not even mag?

It really could be something you've been taking. And it could take a while to figure it out. For me that was coffee. I know people don't want to hear that around here but seems like the theme for me lately is saying things people don't want to hear.

Then I figured out magnesium causes some kind of buzzing in my brain which can make me anxious. Went almost a yr without any mag, tried it again in the past couple days and there it is again! So weird. Because I know I need it, but I have zero tolerance for things that lead to stressful thoughts. And that Dave is how I got better. Zero tolerance. End the suffering.
I've cut way back on the coffee, and it generally puts me in a good mood if I keep the amount low. The 5 cups/day nonsense only helps in particular situations. Normally, I can't do that.

I've actually had an okay day today. Minimal stress: just relaxing around family and at leisure, and eating four eggs for breakfast small amounts of coffee, salt, milk, some pizza ad libitum. Red light all day with l-theanine, small amounts of Progest-E, cypro, or pregnenolone help if I get anxious. Pretty decent all around. The wheat from the pizza seems to irritate the gut though, unfortunately, and my mood's still pretty erratic (usually in the evenings).

This is a bit of a rest and recuperation period, but I'm still hypothyroid, so I still have that avenue to continue along. I'll probably try the lamotrigine with caution and see how I fare in preparation for the next term. I'm not too worried.

For magnesium, I don't take it anymore. I used to put it in OJ with good results (milk of magnesia + carbonated water); it's pretty relaxing. I don't think I'm deficient. I'm starting to realize taking all these supplements can be more stressful than some level of apathy and nonchalance, but I suppose stress kicks calmness out the door fairly quickly.

FWIW I have been limiting my protein timing to around a four hour window. I notice much better mood, digestion, and I actually get hungry when doing this which is a feeling I have missed for awhile. I still eat carbs and fats throughout the day, but no milk/meat/eggs.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

Just an update: I've tried 25 mg lamotrigine for a couple days (working my way up to that dose).

Anxiety and depression have improved noticeable, but moreso symptoms of irritability and anxiety. The only major side effects seem to be ataxia (muscle twitching) and some mild dizziness occasionally.

Combining lamotrigine with progesterone in vitamin E, K2, pregnenolone, mirtazapine, cyproheptadine, l-theanine, aspirin, and small amounts of caffeine all yield a synergistic effect.

Memento

The fleeting window of euphoria or even feelings of normalcy make me deeply depressed in reflection

Beautifully said. This condition is at times absolutely soul crushing making it very hard if not impossible to think and act logically. Do you still take glycine? I noticed it makes me feel amazing at first but horrible soon after I stop taking it.. Is lamictal still working for you? Have you gone up in dosage?

ilikecats

@DaveFoster If you’re gonna try a drug why not try lisuride? I’m just confused why you’re interested in all these toxic meds that probably won’t even work that well. I also think you’re focusing on peripheral opponents buddy. What are you doing to get your vitamin D levels up? dr peat told you what’s up. IMHO you should be using 50,000oiu of vitamin D topically daily Also that should help fix your elevated liver enzymes. People forget that Peat says to reverse fatty liver you need vitamin d and calcium. I know there is a taurine k2 caffeine protocol promoted here for fatty liver and they certainly help but let’s not forget what Peat said about calcium, vitamin d and the liver.

Last edited:

ilikecats

And what are you even doing eating wheat dude? That’s so stressful when youre hypo. It’s bad for anyone. Once again... peripheral opponents... you’re not willing to cut out (And I’m sure you’ve cut it out before) something that’s damaging your metabolism (and make no mistake the gluten IS damaging your metabolism regardless of what Edward Edmonds says or Matt stone says but you’re saying “I’m at my wits end let’s try this drug that has a chance to cause a rare disease that can kill me”. Also if that’s not homemade pizza I’m sure it has PUFA.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster If you’re gonna try a drug why not try lisuride? I’m just confused why you’re interested in all these toxic meds that probably won’t even work that well. I also think you’re focusing on peripheral opponents buddy. What are you doing to get your vitamin D levels up? dr peat told you what’s up. IMHO you should be using 50,000oiu of vitamin D topically daily Also that should help fix your elevated liver enzymes. People forget that Peat says to reverse fatty liver you need vitamin d and calcium. I know there is a taurine k2 caffeine protocol promoted here for fatty liver and they certainly help but let’s not forget what Peat said about calcium, vitamin d and the liver.
I take 50,000 IU D daily or EOD. Metergoline raised adrenaline (seemingly).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals