Long Term Antibiotics Use for Dog

TAG145

Forum Supporter
Hi All-our dog was diagnosed with a spinal infection and is requiring antibiotics for a long period of time. We haven’t gotten results of exact cause of infection but while waiting they have him in cephalexin and baytril. Depending on the results of the spinal tap, it could mean he’s on antibiotics for the rest of his life. Wondering what we can do for him to keep his digestive system healthy? We feed him a raw diet but am willing to give him anything to help. Are probiotics the best route? I saw a previous post by @Goldenboi about his dog having disc inflammation and people recommended progesterone. Not sure how to apply that?? We have been giving him taurine and rapamycin also. If you have suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Hi All-our dog was diagnosed with a spinal infection and is requiring antibiotics for a long period of time. We haven’t gotten results of exact cause of infection but while waiting they have him in cephalexin and baytril. Depending on the results of the spinal tap, it could mean he’s on antibiotics for the rest of his life. Wondering what we can do for him to keep his digestive system healthy? We feed him a raw diet but am willing to give him anything to help. Are probiotics the best route? I saw a previous post by @Goldenboi about his dog having disc inflammation and people recommended progesterone. Not sure how to apply that?? We have been giving him taurine and rapamycin also. If you have suggestions, it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
My dog had to be on clindamycin for three weeks. I give her Florastor and it seems to help keep her stool normal. I also gave that to her when she had some diarrhea several years ago.

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
That is helpful--thank you. I will get some of these probiotics. He's 11 and was doing really well even with this spinal infection. We thought it was a bulged disc because he would have active, good days, then stiff and hunched. I'm not happy about the thought of him on antibiotics for months, possibly years but that is the tradeoff, depending on what the root of the infection is.

Don

If your dog gets loose stool from the antibiotics white rice ovrcooked in lots of water and to a glurpy slurry is really helpful. We give dogs the rice and water slurry. Might need to add some dog food and salt to enhance the flavour so they eat drink it. But it works wonders

OP
T

TAG145

Forum Supporter
If your dog gets loose stool from the antibiotics white rice ovrcooked in lots of water and to a glurpy slurry is really helpful. We give dogs the rice and water slurry. Might need to add some dog food and salt to enhance the flavour so they eat drink it. But it works wonders
Great information.
So far, so good with the probiotics. We've done a bland diet with rice over the years, but haven't heard of overcooked rice--I will definitely keep this in the arsenal.
Thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals