Lysine And Zinc

Time&energy

Protective effects of zinc sulfate and l-lysine on acute ethanol toxicity in mice - ScienceDirect

My first post on this forum, I would like to thank everyone for providing free quality information.

I found this great study for any of you alcohol drinkers. It seems that both zinc and Lysine CAN get rid of alcohol from the bloodstream. I would love for this combo to be investigated more for it's nootropic effects and it's sperm count increasing properties. In combination with glycine, hangovers become more than tolerable.

Vinero

Interesting. I have noticed that alcohol doesn't impact me as negatively when supplementing zinc beforehand. I have more mental clarity and energy after a few drinks if I have taken zinc that same day.

OP
T

Time&energy

Zinc is good for it's dopamine re-uptake inhibitor abilities. Gets rid of the excess serotonin caused by the alcohol, the glycine soaks it up and lessens the damage of the residual NMDA antagonism. I'm trying to intergrate Thiamine and magnesium, to convert the Thiamine to it's active form.

Vinero

Zinc is good for it's dopamine re-uptake inhibitor abilities. Gets rid of the excess serotonin caused by the alcohol, the glycine soaks it up and lessens the damage of the residual NMDA antagonism. I'm trying to intergrate Thiamine and magnesium, to convert the Thiamine to it's active form.
Zinc is a very good antidepressant. It lowers both serotonin and is a NMDA antagonist. Two of the main causes of depression are excess serotonin and too much glutamate.

Frankdee20

Zinc is a very good antidepressant. It lowers both serotonin and is a NMDA antagonist. Two of the main causes of depression are excess serotonin and too much glutamate.

I believe Zinc also effects the 5ht1A receptor, but not sure if it’s pre or post activity

OP
T

Time&energy

I believe Zinc also effects the 5ht1A receptor, but not sure if it’s pre or post activity
That sounds good to me, Zinc being an antagonist of the 5HT1A receptor could mean it is anxiolytic.
From experience of certain agonists of 5HT1A like Creatine, ALCAR and Prozac are profoundly anxiogenic, so that's good news.

OP
T

Time&energy

Kray

Protective effects of zinc sulfate and l-lysine on acute ethanol toxicity in mice - ScienceDirect

My first post on this forum, I would like to thank everyone for providing free quality information.

I found this great study for any of you alcohol drinkers. It seems that both zinc and Lysine CAN get rid of alcohol from the bloodstream. I would love for this combo to be investigated more for it's nootropic effects and it's sperm count increasing properties. In combination with glycine, hangovers become more than tolerable.

Interesting find! Do you know if other forms of zinc would be as beneficial? I use zinc picolinate. Thanks

OP
T

Time&energy

Interesting find! Do you know if other forms of zinc would be as beneficial? I use zinc picolinate. Thanks

I'm sure I saw a study that said that Zinc Pilconate was the best to raise blood zinc levels (althoigh it's debatable whether that's a good overall indicator). Otherwise perhaps use Vitamin B6 to help with Zinc absorption.

Kray

I'm sure I saw a study that said that Zinc Pilconate was the best to raise blood zinc levels (althoigh it's debatable whether that's a good overall indicator). Otherwise perhaps use Vitamin B6 to help with Zinc absorption.

Thanks- I was specifically thinking about the form of zinc with l-lysine that you posted for help for alcohol consumption. Assume then that picolinate would have same effects as sulfate form for this purpose?

OP
T

Time&energy

I wouldn't suggest the carrier would make a difference. Pilconate is the form I use, as long as the carrier agent isn't oxide or a similarly cheap varient it should be okay as they wouldn't absorb so well.

Kray

I wouldn't suggest the carrier would make a difference. Pilconate is the form I use, as long as the carrier agent isn't oxide or a similarly cheap varient it should be okay as they wouldn't absorb so well.

Great, and from your first post it sounds like you have firsthand experience with the zinc/lysine combo and alcohol? Mind you, I'm a 1-glass-with-dinner wine drinker but over time I'm sure it has a cumulative effect on liver, serotonin, etc., so this is really helpful info. I usually have some b-1 and/or milk thistle with dinner, but I will consider the zinc/lysine. How much of both would be a good dose? And best taken prior to meal?

OP
T

Time&energy

Great, and from your first post it sounds like you have firsthand experience with the zinc/lysine combo and alcohol? Mind you, I'm a 1-glass-with-dinner wine drinker but over time I'm sure it has a cumulative effect on liver, serotonin, etc., so this is really helpful info. I usually have some b-1 and/or milk thistle with dinner, but I will consider the zinc/lysine. How much of both would be a good dose? And best taken prior to meal?

I love to take B1 after a night of drinking, in insanely high doses. At least over two grams with over a gram of magnesium. I would take 50g of Zinc, either the 6 gram dose for Schizophrenia or 10g for Nitric oxide. I wouldnt be too concerned with the lysine, as it's hard to overdose an EAA. With the Zinc however there has been case reports of neurotoxicity and retinal damage at 60mg doses, as it is still a heavy metal.

OP
T

Time&energy

Of course 60mg elemental Zinc is hard to achieve through supplementation, depending on the form of chelation.

Kray

Of course 60mg elemental Zinc is hard to achieve through supplementation, depending on the form of chelation.

How much would seem reasonable to take of b1/zinc/Mg/?lysine with daily moderate alcohol, like 1 glass of wine?

OP
T

Time&energy

How much would seem reasonable to take of b1/zinc/Mg/?lysine with daily moderate alcohol, like 1 glass of wine?

I wouldn't have assumed that such moderate intake of alcohol would have drastically negative effects. From my daily usage I take 10g Lysine, over a gram of B1, over a gram of magnesium and 25mg Zinc, even when not drinking.

Kray

I wouldn't have assumed that such moderate intake of alcohol would have drastically negative effects. From my daily usage I take 10g Lysine, over a gram of B1, over a gram of magnesium and 25mg Zinc, even when not drinking.

Wow, that seems quite a bit of lysine and B1. How does one know they need that much? What benefits have you noticed at those levels over more standard/Peaty levels?

Kray

By the way, in answer to your comment on my alcohol intake-- first, I'm female; second, I am guessing that alcohol takes some time to process through the liver. I figure having even one glass per day over time has some impact on liver health, so I take B-1 at dinner in addition to daily B-complex.

magnesiumania

Wow, that seems quite a bit of lysine and B1. How does one know they need that much? What benefits have you noticed at those levels over more standard/Peaty levels?

Does Peat at all recommend lysine in supplements?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals