MCTs Sufficient For Hormone Synthesis And Absorption Of Fat-soluble Vitamins On Low PUFA & Fat Diet

milkboi

I have read quite often here that ~15g fat are needed for optimal (?) hormone synthesis. And of course you need fat for the absorption of Vit. A/D/E/K.

Could I use MCT oil (C8 and C10, or maybe only C8) for the above purposes? Or does it behave in a different way than “normal” saturated fat does and therefore don’t suffice when overall fat is really low (like 5-15g max.)?

MCTs seem to be the most metabolic useful FA, and their 0 pufa content would help a lot.

ddjd

as long as you can tolerate the disaster pants issue!

ddjd

:D Well, I don’t plan on taking a ***t-load.

Do you also come from a background of being “bulletproof” by any chance?
yes about 6 years ago i did listen to that charlatans podcast.

just a teaspoon of MCT/ caprylic acid causes me stomach issues

schultz

I always wondered if MCT help with fat soluble vitamins. Not sure I ever found an answer. I think they do......

I am under the impression you can still absorb fat soluble vitamins on a no fat diet, the absorption % is just reduced. I don't have evidence but feel like I read it in a study.

Hopefully someone has some evidence and is more helpful than I am as I would like the answer to these questions as well. I may search some studies.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

I always wondered if MCT help with fat soluble vitamins. Not sure I ever found an answer. I think they do......

I am under the impression you can still absorb fat soluble vitamins on a no fat diet, the absorption % is just reduced. I don't have evidence but feel like I read it in a study.

Hopefully someone has some evidence and is more helpful than I am as I would like the answer to these questions as well. I may search some studies.

Yeah, I think that’s the case too. But I’d like to have as much absorption as possible, and MCTs would be useful if they worked for that purpose.

Taurine Enhances Bioavailability Of Vitamins K, A, D, E Taurine could help lower the fat requirements for optimal absorption.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

Now, my second question is if MCTs increase cholesterol/androgens like other SFA do? :bookworm:

TeaRex14

15 grams is quite low, unless you're already eating a low calorie diet. I know I've stated numerous times that 15% of calories coming from fat is sufficient. This will likely result in more than just 15 grams of fat though. Even on the standard 2,000 calorie diet, 15% of fat would be approx 32 grams of fat. But ultimately it's something you'll just have to play around with. Most people will find that somewhere between 15%-25% of calories from fat is a good zone for them. In regards to MCTs it should probably be enough, plus whatever fat you get in your foods. There's some pros and cons to both. MCTs are better for weight management, they can also dilute any liberated PUFAs that are currently in the serum. Longer chain SFAs, like stearic acid, are better at diluting PUFA in the cells, at the cost of being less weight friendly. I think it's probably good to get a combination, easy way is to just use coconut/mct oil and eat cacao.

Dobbler

If all your fat comes from quality MCT oil , say 60% C8 Caprylic acid and 40% C10 Capric acid and you are very close to 0 PUFA i can guarantee your hormones will be through the roof. If you are worried you can throw in some beef or cheese or something that is highly saturated aswell.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

If all your fat comes from quality MCT oil , say 60% C8 Caprylic acid and 40% C10 Capric acid and you are very close to 0 PUFA i can guarantee your hormones will be through the roof. If you are worried you can throw in some beef or cheese or something that is highly saturated aswell.

Sounds great :happy:

Cirion

Personally I will no longer use oils. Not even coconut oil. Not after some researching I've done now. Best to stick to whole foods for fats IMO. Just my opinion though. I am personally done with eating ANY processed food and will only eat real foods from now on.

Lynne

Personally I will no longer use oils. Not even coconut oil. Not after some researching I've done now. Best to stick to whole foods for fats IMO. Just my opinion though. I am personally done with eating ANY processed food and will only eat real foods from now on.

I agree in principle but my practice hasn't quite caught up to that yet, lol. However, at the mo I'm only consuming about 1tsp of MCT oil on my potato and a few days per week around 1/2 - 1tsp of olive oil or up to 1/2rsp butter from another source.

OP
milkboi

milkboi

This is a good summary of MCT oil: MCT oil, liquid rocket fuel
It's the best fat humanly possible. Nothing beats it.

Good one, thanks.

What’s your definition of “whole food”? No juices?

Jib

I do like the "Brain Octane Oil" from Bulletproof. Pure caprlyic acid triglycerides. Maybe TMI, but I've found it works great as a kind of deodorant, especially in the groin area. I recently got a couple male grooming products and found it interesting that the main ingredients were aloe leaf juice and caprylic acid triglycerides. So at the very least it can be handy in your bathroom cabinet, if nowhere else ;)

They also have a new, accurate spout for pouring. The old bottles, that had no spout, well....oil can drip down the bottle easily, and make it quite slippery. Last night I was groggy, tripped and fell, and spilled an entire bottle of Brain Octane all over the carpet, my keyboard, and somehow it splashed into both of my eyes as well.

My eyes were not dry today. So that was good.

Apparently the "Brain Octane" didn't superpower my brain very much. But I do like supplementing with it and think it can be a good idea. I see a lot of hate for the guy that sells it, but I know absolutely nothing about him, and don't care. Pure caprylic acid triglycerides seem like they would be highly valuable in a Peat-inspired diet.

Nicole W.

Ok, I’ll bite... what have you read about oils (presumably the ones you once considered safe) that now concerns you?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals