Methylene Blue (MB) Improves Mitochondrial Function in The Liver of Cholestatic and Liver Injury

Candeias

Methylene Blue Improves Mitochondrial Function in The Liver of Cholestatic Rats

"It has been found that mitochondrial function is impaired in the liver tissue in different models of cholestasis. The current study aimed to evaluate the effects of MB administration on mitochondrial indices in cholestatic animals. Rats underwent bile duct ligation (BDL) surgery and treated with MB (0.5 and 1 mg/kg, oral). Significant mitochondrial permeabilization, mitochondrial membrane depolarization, lipid peroxidation, decreased mitochondrial dehydrogenase activity, and depleted ATP content was evident in BDL rats. It was found that mitochondrial indices improved in MB-treated cholestatic animals. Based on the data collected in this study, MB might be useful as a therapeutic agent in cholestasis"

At just 0.5 and 1 mg/kg orally in rats, that would extrapolate to how many mcgs of MB in humans? :openmouth:

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Methylene blue attenuates acute liver injury induced by paraquat in rats

"Adult male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats were randomly divided into four groups: (1) normal group, (2) MB group (2mg/kg i.p.), (3) PQ group (35 mg/kg i.p.) and (4) PQ+MB group (MB 2mg/kg i.p. administrated 2h after PQ). We evaluated the changes of liver histopathology, serum liver enzymatic activities, oxidative stress, heme oxygenase-1 expression, and mitochondrial permeability transition. The rats were injected with PQ produced liver injury, evidenced by histological changes and elevated serum alkaline phosphatase and alanine transaminase levels; PQ also led to oxidative stress, an increase of malondialdehyde content and mitochondrial permeability transition pore opening. Pathological damage and all of the above mentioned markers were reversed in the animals treated with MB than in those who received PQ alone. Meanwhile, MB significantly increased the contents of superoxide dismutase, adenosine triphosphate and the expression of heme oxygenase-1. In conclusion, MB had a protective effect against PQ-induced hepatic damage in rats. The mechanisms of the protection seem to be the inhibition of mitochondrial permeability transition opening and the increase of heme oxygenase-1 expression."

Jam

At just 0.5 and 1 mg/kg orally in rats, that would extrapolate to how many mcgs of MB in humans? :openmouth:
JBCP-7-27-g002.jpg

GTW

Divide mouse dose/kg by 12, then multiply by your weight in kg.
For 60 kg person .5-1 x (60/12) = 2.5-5 mg?
Will you see, will you pee, methylene blue?

LadyRae

I take 5 to 8 mg, liquid, every night before bed and I never get blue pee, or even green

GTW

No sleep interference? My experience, seemed to be too much stimulation in the evening.

OP
Candeias

Candeias

Will you see, will you pee, methylene blue

In both studies it was rats (instead of a mouses)

GTW

So, 5-10 mg is extrapolated rat to human dose.
What effect does pH in the urine range have on MB color?

LadyRae

No sleep interference? My experience, seemed to be too much stimulation in the evening.
No. I will sleep 6 or 7 hours straight, get up to go to the bathroom, and then sleep another hour or two sometimes

Jam

I take 5 to 8 mg, liquid, every night before bed and I never get blue pee, or even green
Sounds like you need it. I get green pee with just 1mg.

LadyRae

Sounds like you need it. I get green pee with just 1mg.
I believe I produce a lot of lactate...which may be why... Also, it's dark when I pee in the morning so I never see that pee..😆

Another possible explanation is that I drink a lot of orange juice with sodium and potassium bicarbonate in it

spanner

I add vitamin C powder to methylene blue until it turns clear. My pee still turns blue, though.

MC_55

Typically the factor utilized by the industry to convert murine models to HED is 10.

LadyRae

What does it means if pee turns blue?
There are some in this thread postulating that because their pee turns blue quickly they are super healthy whereas if we do not get blue pee, (me, usually) we are unhealthy. I do not believe it is this simple

L_C

There are some in this thread postulating that because their pee turns blue quickly they are super healthy whereas if we do not get blue pee, (me, usually) we are unhealthy. I do not believe it is this simple
Yesterday, I took 2.4 mg and my pee had a light green/blue tint to it. I do agree with you, I don't think it's an indicator of health or that it's that simple.

GTW

There is a chemistry class demo of MB changing color indicating redox status. pH and dissolved oxygen from air reversibly go from clear to blue and back.
Scaling and extrapolating drug dose is not exact science. The commonly used scaling factor is based on species' metabolic rates. The metabolism of drugs varies between species and between individuals. It's only a starting point to determine dose effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals