More common than one might think

Sherbert

Jessie

It would be interesting to know how many of these people were there for unrelated injuries. Versus, say, mental health crises. Standardized treatment is abysmal at solving the latter, on the contrary, if most of these people were there for unrelated injuries, that suggests something more than just negligence.

It would also be interesting to see how many were in American hospitals vs. other countries. In my hospital, the first person to come visit you in the ER isn't typically the doctor (unless you're literally in critical condition). It's typically the finance guy wanting your insurance information and telling you how much you're about to be in debt by.

OP
Sherbert

Sherbert

OP
Sherbert

Sherbert

It would be interesting to know how many of these people were there for unrelated injuries. Versus, say, mental health crises. Standardized treatment is abysmal at solving the latter, on the contrary, if most of these people were there for unrelated injuries, that suggests something more than just negligence.

It would also be interesting to see how many were in American hospitals vs. other countries. In my hospital, the first person to come visit you in the ER isn't typically the doctor (unless you're literally in critical condition). It's typically the finance guy wanting your insurance information and telling you how much you're about to be in debt by.
good question s

Jessie

good question s
I have a family member who took a ambulance ride to the hospital a few months ago, terrible pains in his lower backside. Turned out to be some pretty big kidney stones he was trying to pass.

The ride in the ambulance, just the ride, was close to 10,000 dollars. That's not including the treatment he received once at the hospital. Granted insurance is going to cover the bulk of that. But that stuff certainly affects your rates.

I could see how, perhaps, somebody at the hospital for much more comprehensive treatment that runs in the hundreds of thousands might just find an "easier" way out. Especially if they're already in financial trouble with bad or no insurance.

Jessie

Not a sells pitch for universal healthcare, btw. If anything I lean more "libertarian" when it comes to healthcare. Licensure requirements and patent laws really drive up the costs on medicine and care. Not to mention private supplied insurance is governed by board committees instead of market price. Still, I do agree with the lefties on one thing. The healthcare system in the West is f&#ked.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals