New Clues About Cancer Cell Metabolism: Smallest Amino Acid, Glycine, Implicated In Cancer Cell Prol

High_Prob

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120524143446.htm

Researchers have looked across 60 well-studied cancer cell lines, analyzing which of more than 200 metabolites were consumed or released by the fastest dividing cells. Their research yields the first large-scale atlas of cancer metabolism and points to a key role for the smallest amino acid, glycine, in cancer cell proliferation.

"For almost a century, researchers have known that cancer cells have peculiar appetites, devouring glucose in ways that normal cells do not. But glucose uptake may tell only part of cancer's metabolic story. Researchers from the Broad Institute and Massachusetts General Hospital looked across 60 well-studied cancer cell lines, analyzing which of more than 200 metabolites were consumed or released by the fastest dividing cells. Their research yields the first large-scale atlas of cancer metabolism and points to a key role for the smallest amino acid, glycine, in cancer cell proliferation. Their results appear in the May 25 issue of the journal Science."

Last edited:

Orion

My limited knowledge on this is that cancer tries to burn fat(creating lactic acid), fat is manufactured from glucose that is created from liberating amino acids, from the estrogen/cortisol/adrenaline/serotonin cancer state. Now why is glycine showing up in the biggest numbers, is it because thymus and muscle tissue are already depleted, so our connective tissues are consumed to provide the glycine?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Any thoughts on this study @haidut? I would like to know more about this as well

This is an old study that has been discussed so many times on this forum. Search for "glycine cancer" and you will find a lot of info on why glycine is therapeutic for cancer and also Peat's response to that study.

Orion

From tryptophan-serotonin-aging:
"The simplest, nonessential, amino acid, glycine, has been found to protect against carcinogenesis, inflammation, fibrosis, neurological damage, shock, asthma, and hypertension. Increased glycine improves learning (Handlemann, et al., 1989; File, et al., 1999), glycine antagonists usually impair it. Its antitoxic and cytoprotective actions are remarkable. Collagen, besides being free of tryptophan, contains a large amount of glycine--32% of its amino acid units, 22% of its weight.

The varied antiinflammatory and protective effects of glycine can be thought of as an antiserotonin action. For example, serotonin increases the formation of TNF (tumor necrosis factor, also called cachectin), glycine inhibits it. In some situations, glycine is known to suppress the formation of serotonin. Antagonists of serotonin can potentiate glycine's effects (Chesnoy-Marchais, et al., 2000). People who ate traditional diets, besides getting a lower concentration of tryptophan, were getting a large amount of glycine in their gelatin-rich diet."

OP
H

High_Prob

This is an old study that has been discussed so many times on this forum. Search for "glycine cancer" and you will find a lot of info on why glycine is therapeutic for cancer and also Peat's response to that study.

@haidut - I did a search on this forum but I could not find any previous discussions pertaining to this 2012 study...

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut - I did a search on this forum but I could not find any previous discussions pertaining to this 2012 study...

Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals