New Guidelines: Cholesterol Should Be On Everyone's Radar, Beginning Early In Life

jondoeuk

True, but none of the interests mentioned in that article are drug companies that profit off the utterly bogus and unproven theory that somehow, cholesterol causes heart disease in humans, who are omnivores. Although I do think the USDA and Department of Health and Human Services are wildly unconstitutional and should be disbanded immediately. Nor should there be any sort of government guidelines regarding what an individual should eat.

Dr. Aseem Malhotra is an advisor to The National Obesity Forum, who happen to be funded by British Meat Nutrition Education Services, pharmaceutical companies (GlaxoSmithKline, Sanofi-Aventis, Roche, Abbott Labs), weight loss businesses (LighterLife UK, Slim Fast Foods Ltd), and many others interested in keeping people confused National Obesity Forum - Our Partners The real financial benefits are going to those who sell products (drugs and diets) to treat the problems caused by the very foods they happen to recommend.

jondoeuk

His main argument in the first minute was a combination Appeal to Authority (trust the experts) and ad hominem attacks/strawmen (opposing views are only coming from random bloggers). But I would point to his main fallacy, common to most pro lipid theory scientists, that the correlation between LDL and artherosclerosis is the same as causation. This isnt the case. If it were so then the evidence for Statins would be far stronger. Look into the number needed to treat to get a real sense of just how ineffective statins are at saving lives.
Statins in Persons at Low Risk of Cardiovascular Disease – TheNNT
Statins for Heart Disease Prevention (With Known Heart Disease) – TheNNT
The case for statins: has it really been made?

A fallacious appeal to authority is, one where the authority has no legitimate expertise pertaining to the topic at hand. So no fallacy here. He is right about many of the opposing views coming from random bloggers, not that he hasn't addressed various doctors in the past. Then, if you watch his stuff he attacks people's arguments and not them.

The second paper I cited states: ''There are strong, consistent, and graded relationships between saturated fat intake, blood cholesterol levels, and the mass occurrence of CVD. The relationships are accepted as causal.''

There is also plenty of evidence which supports statin use in patients after a heart attack[1], post stroke[2] and in those with angina and elevated cholesterol[3]. For patients with known coronary heart disease, improvements have been shown not only for future cardiovascular events, but also for all-cause mortality[4]. A number of randomised controlled trials have shown benefit in reducing cardiovascular events[5-7]. In another paper the group analysed data from 27 randomised controlled trials (134,537 pts in total). They found that, for every 18 mg/dl that statins lowered cholesterol, patients benefited from a 21% reduction in vascular events[8].

Refs:
1 NEJM - Error
2 NEJM - Error
3 https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)90566-5/fulltext
4 Statin Therapy in the Prevention of Recurrent Cardiovascular Events
5 NEJM - Error
6 https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/187569
7 https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0807646
8 https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60367-5/fulltext

tankasnowgod

Dr. Aseem Malhotra is an advisor to The National Obesity Forum, who happen to be funded by British Meat Nutrition Education Services, pharmaceutical companies (GlaxoSmithKline, Sanofi-Aventis, Roche, Abbott Labs), weight loss businesses (LighterLife UK, Slim Fast Foods Ltd), and many others interested in keeping people confused National Obesity Forum - Our Partners The real financial benefits are going to those who sell products (drugs and diets) to treat the problems caused by the very foods they happen to recommend.

Agree, the problematic foods are, and always have been, iron "fortified" grains, and the poly-unsaturated oils. I am not familiar with The National Obesity Forum, as it is a UK org, but it looks no different to me than The American Heart Association. Neither sells a product, they sell an "agenda," while taking money from various levels of government, donations from corporations, and (in the case of the AMA), selling "Heart Checks" to various manufacturers to display on their products.

Queequeg

A fallacious appeal to authority is, one where the authority has no legitimate expertise pertaining to the topic at hand. So no fallacy here. He is right about many of the opposing views coming from random bloggers, not that he hasn't addressed various doctors in the past. Then, if you watch his stuff he attacks people's arguments and not them.

The second paper I cited states: ''There are strong, consistent, and graded relationships between saturated fat intake, blood cholesterol levels, and the mass occurrence of CVD. The relationships are accepted as causal.''

There is also plenty of evidence which supports statin use in patients after a heart attack[1], post stroke[2] and in those with angina and elevated cholesterol[3]. For patients with known coronary heart disease, improvements have been shown not only for future cardiovascular events, but also for all-cause mortality[4]. A number of randomised controlled trials have shown benefit in reducing cardiovascular events[5-7]. In another paper the group analysed data from 27 randomised controlled trials (134,537 pts in total). They found that, for every 18 mg/dl that statins lowered cholesterol, patients benefited from a 21% reduction in vascular events[8].

Refs:
1 NEJM - Error
2 NEJM - Error
3 https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)90566-5/fulltext
4 Statin Therapy in the Prevention of Recurrent Cardiovascular Events
5 NEJM - Error
6 Primary Prevention of Acute Coronary Events With Lovastatin in Men and Women With Average Cholesterol Levels
7 NEJM - Error
8 https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60367-5/fulltext
You’re confusing an appeal to a false authority with an appeal to a real authority, both however are fallacious arguments in a strictly logical sense as they are not proof of anything; one is an uninformed opinion and one is an informed opinion.

“One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority." ... Too many such arguments have proved too painfully wrong. Authorities must prove their contentions like everybody else. “ Carl Sagan

As for the validity of the lipid hypothesis, I would suggest you read studies on both sides and then make up your own mind. With billions of dollars at stake, it's obvious that there will be plenty of studies that demonize cholesterol and show that Statins work.. that of course doesn’t mean that they do. It’s been shown that most clinical studies can’t be replicated, especially those funded by the drug companies. Also remember that the same people promoting the lipid hypothesis are the same ones promoting PUFAs.

Since we are on the RPF, here is another appeal to authority.
Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health.
"The correspondence between heart disease and consumption of saturated fat and cholesterol is little more than advertising copy. If people were looking for the actual causes of heart disease, they would consider the factors that changed in the US during the time that heart disease mortality was increasing. Both increases in harmful factors, and decreases in protective factors would have to be considered. "

"Many participants in the cholesterol-lowering cult believe that they have succeeded in hijacking our science culture, but when the patents on another generation of their drugs have expired, the cult could begin to fade away." RP

Last edited:

Glassy

That could be true. But guys who act like they don’t even want to hear of cholesterol numbers are deluded. So people should pass on a cheap test but would do extended thyroid function testing maybe? I think it’s a decent marker. Poor cholesterol metabolism is highly concerning because ubiquitous. Why would it raise when it’s supposed to be properly metabolized and kept nice and “optimal”. I absolutely don’t believe it’s that badly causative among the other (better) risk factors for CVD.

That is unlike huh, free Androgens and hair loss, even though I kinda like to go one step up and focus on SHBG and liver function instead of micromanaging downstream hormones. Some people here like their conspiracy theories a bit too much and bury their head into the ground whenever an argument may challenge their tin foil views.

If we can screen teenagers and get more people to do more bloodworks, whatever bloods we’re talking about, I don’t see an issue at all. Educating health professionals with regards to reading a damn blood test could be very useful too.

I’m mildly curious about my cholesterol levels but at 39 years old have never had them checked even though a test would be close to free in my country. I am much more curious to know more about my hormone levels because I can influence them and I see a more direct relationship between them and my health/wellbeing. If I get my cholesterol checked and the levels are abnormal, I then need to decide if there is a problem that’s worth treating. The standard drugs for lower cholesterol are effective at lowering cholesterol but not for extending life or promoting wellness. Why measure something that is at best an indicator of poor health and not just make the best lifestyle choices you can?

Cirion

High cholesterol is actually your body keeping you alive in a state of stress. So yes, in an unhealthy state, high cholesterol is not unexpected. But actually it's keeping you alive, so if you artificially lower it via statins, it could very well cause more stress and possibly kill you.

Much like how dialysis is a horrible idea for most people, because water retention and salt retention is... you guessed it... a way of keeping you alive during times of stress. Take out the salt, you can die (Nate hatch talks about this). Thus, while most unhealthy people have high sodium levels, the high sodium keeps them alive, and is necessary. Sodium is good for you.

All the medical community can do is think linearly, so I trust almost no Dr.'s any more.

More people who have high sodium levels die than those who have lower. Sodium is bad, better stop eating salt!
More people who have high cholesterol levels die than those who have lower. Cholesterol is bad, better stop eating eggs and better start taking a statin!

I feel like 99% of Dr.'s are just completely brain-dead and have zero critical thinking.

You see where I'm going with this. Never mind that the human body is the most complex machine ever built, even compared to the space shuttle. You can't reduce the body to such linear thinking.

tankasnowgod

Refs:

2 NEJM - Error

I want to address the statement I bolded.

First..... who "accepted" that any relationship between Saturated Fat and Blood Chlosterterol levels are in any way causal? Thanks to the passive voice, I can only assume that it is the authors of this study who accepted this, since is was the authors who deleted the subject of that sentence. I have no idea why they would "accept" such an idea, since there has never been any proof what so ever that Saturated Fat intake or blood cholesterol levels cause CVD. The only RCT to ever even suggest causality was the Finnish Mental Hospital trial, and since it used a "crossover" design for a very long term disease, their results are highly questionable.

Second..... depending on what epidemiological study you look at, you might find a relationship between SFA and BCL and CVD....... or, you might not. If you look at, far and away, the biggest epidemiological study, the MONItor trends in CArdiovascular diseases project, you find no such association. Considering it monitored over 10 million people, it is larger than all the other epidemiological studies combined.

So, a more accurate way to write that statement would be-

"There are some graded relationships between saturated fat intake, blood cholesterol levels, and mass occurrence of CVD in some studies, but there is no such association in others. Regardless of this, the authors of this study decided to accept this relationship, when it occurs, as causal."

Anyways, statin trials were they reduce cardiovascular events by 20% while not in any way reducing all cause mortality are never going to convince me to take an expensive drug with side effects that include diabetes, muscle neuropathy, transient global amnesia, and Alzheimer's Disease, especially when there is a cheap (free to me) method to slash cardiovascular, stroke, AND all cause mortality risks by 50% (or more) with only minor, transient side effects. Of course, I'm talking about Iron Reduction, as shown in the FeAST trial

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...ntrolled_reduction_of_body_iron_stores_on.pdf

OP
Mito

Mito

@Mito

This directly vindicates your point of the type of lipid carried within the LDL particle leading to oxidation.

https://openheart.bmj.com/content/openhrt/5/2/e000898.full.pdf
Thanks for posting that, it matches well with Masterjohn’s explanation.

“Importantly, linoleic acid concentrations in both serum cholesteryl esters and phospholipid fatty acids are in fact higher in patients with CAD compared with those without CAD coronary artery disease.”

“In summary, numerous lines of evidence show that the omega-6 polyunsaturated fat linoleic acid promotes oxidative stress, oxidised LDL, chronic low-grade inflamation and atherosclerosis, and is likely a major dietaryculprit for causing CHD, especially when consumed in the form of industrial seed oils commonly referred to as ‘vegetable oils’.”

It would be great if there was a widely available way to test for the type of fatty acid concentratrations in the phospholipids of LDL particles. I suspect it would be much more predictive of CVD than just LDL particle number and ratios like TC/HDL.

Hugh Johnson

Yes, doctors will prescribe statins, SSRIs and amphetamines to children. The girls will take estrogen-based birth control pills, and some boys will also take exogenous estrogen through hormone replacement therapy and become girls. Boys who desire to retain their manhood will seek finasteride for their premature balding at 13 years of age.
On a positive note, families that listen to doctors will soon be taken out by natural selection. Maybe we can have some sanity then.

OP
Mito

Mito

Yes that describes the process of how arterial plaque occurs but not why.
LDL particles move in and out of the subendothelial space all the time. It seems logical that the more LDL particles there are in the blood the more LDL particles move in and out of the subendothelial space. It also seems logical that high blood pressure would force more LDL particles through the endothelial layer into the subendothelial space. Not all LDL particles are going to oxidize inside the subendothelial space, but if they do, then monocytes will be called into to subendothelial space to take care of the oxidized LDLs. This starts the process of creating the macrophages and foam cells which eventually lead to endothelial damage (requiring collagen for repair like you said) and more inflammation in the subendothelial space. Inflammation then makes the endothelial layer more permeable so more LDL particles can get inside.

The key seems to be whether or not the LDLs oxidize once inside the subendothelial space. Obviously one factor on whether or not they oxidize is how much PUFA in the phospholipids of the LDL. Another factor is how oxidizing of an environment is the subendothelial space? Things like antioxidant status or probably high free iron would impact it. If the LDL moves in and out of the subendothelial space quickly it’s less likely to oxidize. There are several things that impact how quickly the LDLs move in and out.

DaveFoster

On a positive note, families that listen to doctors will soon be taken out by natural selection. Maybe we can have some sanity then.
I said something like this before on the forum: an ironic justice that people who hate life and destroy society have no children, which saves their fellow man in the long-run.

tara

Ideonaut

Considering how many young guys have a degree of heart disease already (which takes years/decades before leading to visible symptoms just like hair loss and other degenerations) it makes sense to screen for bad numbers before they become adults.

If that leads to more dudes taking their liver health seriously, cut down on fats, cut down on animal food, that’ll be doing a great service to the Western people. The war on cholesterol and fat needs to be reinforced, not loosened as per all the quacks pushing a higher fat diet
Cholesterol and saturated fat are not the culprits, not the cause of heart disease. Even the AMA has come around to the view that cholesterol is okay. One of Peat's main points is that PUFAs are damaging, not saturated fats. The above excellent Matthias Rath video says that atherosclerotic lesions result from lack of micronutrients--vitamin C, mainly--causing inability to maintain and repair collagen structures.

Ideonaut

three questions they cant answer based on their cholesterol theory

Why is it only arteries get atherosclerosis and not veins?
Why is it only the heart that gets infarctions and but rarely other organs?
Why dont animals get heart attacks?
Dr Mathias Rath

It's not cholesterol, it's collagen or lack of it needed to repair damaged arterial walls. In its absence, the body uses cholesterol, fat, lipoproteins and calcium etc to repair the leaks. High cholesterol is a symptom not a cause.

great video, thanks! Dr. Rath doesn't say "lack of collagen" that I noticed. He does say that more vitamin C is needed to help with collagen repair and that lysine and niacin will help. I'd add glycine, since more available glycine in the system will make it less likely the body will be using toxic glyphosate to form faulty collagen structures.

danielbb

three questions they cant answer based on their cholesterol theory

Why is it only arteries get atherosclerosis and not veins?
Why is it only the heart that gets infarctions and but rarely other organs?
Why dont animals get heart attacks?
Dr Mathias Rath

It's not cholesterol, it's collagen or lack of it needed to repair damaged arterial walls. In its absence, the body uses cholesterol, fat, lipoproteins and calcium etc to repair the leaks. High cholesterol is a symptom not a cause.

I've read this thread with interest. Based on this article by Ray Cholesterol, longevity, intelligence, and health. and just thinking about why heart disease is so prevalent, my present intuition is that heart disease is caused by inflammation and the primary source for that is PUFA.

Statins do not make sense to me anymore and Ray does not hold them in high esteem. It seems that cholesterol is a healthy substance even though elevated levels and particle sizes my indicate an underlying inflammatory issue. Genetic arguments do not make sense to me either other than some people may be able to consume higher amounts of inflammatory substances (due to some type of genetic protective factor?) without necessarily suffering the severe health consequences as much as someone else. For instance, we've all heard of outlier cases where some person lived to be 100 years old yet smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day. For most of us, smoking leads to cancer.

I watched Dr. Rath's video in the quoted material above and he along with the late Linus Pauling are advocating a different approach where the focus is on lipoprotein A rather than LDL. They've conducted some impressive science and it is convincing that there may be a link between vitamin C and heart disease.

My question and reason for writing this is the Pauling/Rath therapy requires massive if not ridiculous amounts of vitamin C. I still wonder if the fundamental question is being asked by either the Statin people or the Pauling people. Why would statin therapy or massive vitamin C therapy be necessary in the first place - assuming people are getting normal amounts of healthy vitamins/nutrients in their diet to begin with? What is it that is making some of us very sick and why would such therapies even be necessary if we understood the underlying causes? That is a rhetorical question and I believe the answer lies in the inflammatory substances, like PUFA and others, that many of us have been consuming for much of our lives.

All that said, if you follow Ray's advice, there is some natural correlation, through natural substances to the Pauling/Rath therapy. For example, if you follow Ray's guidelines and consume say 100G of protein a day, you will get more than enough of either Lysine or Proline to satisfy that portion of the protocol. I looked at my protein consumption yesterday for example with four glasses of milk (32g protein), four tablespoons of Now Beef Gelatin (36g protein), and 24G of protein from a hamburger. According to my estimates, I had approximately 7.1g of Lysine and 9.3g of Proline which more that satisfies the protocol (if my calculations are correct).

Now the tricky part and my ultimate question. Ray says he consumes anywhere between a pint and a quart of OJ per day (other places he says even more) which would give him from about 250mg to 500mg or more of vitamin C per day. I had four glasses of OJ plus other fruit yesterday for about 550mg, for example. I've read many sources that say the industrialized/commercialized vitamin C in supplement form is often an overload to the system and much of it is excreted in the urine. Also, Ray talks about the supplement form as being possibly disruptive to our bowels. Thus, someone trying to take their 6g/day (or more) according to Pauling/Rath protocol - how much of it is actually bioavailable? My intuition tells me that 250mg to about 500mg a day from natural sources ought to be enough but would like others to chime in on this if possible. Is it possible 6g is the amount needed from supplements in order for our bodies to get the desired amount - assuming there is validity to the Pauling/Rath protocol?

tankasnowgod

I think you're post was quite good, but there is one thing I wanted to address...

For instance, we've all heard of outlier cases where some person lived to be 100 years old yet smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day. For most of us, smoking leads to cancer.

If you look at the statistics when it comes to smokers and cancer, the vast majority will NOT develop cancer. Like, 90% of smokers. However, the risk of cancer, especially lung cancer, is significantly greater among smokers. It's ten times more prevalent. Regularly inhaling smoke is not healthy, especially since cigarettes contain a significant amount of tar and iron. Still, that means that 10% of smokers will get cancer as opposed to 1% of the population as a whole (at least what doctors identify as cancer). A dramatic increase..... but not most.

When thinking about it this way, it doesn't make the "outlier" cases you mention much of an outlier at all. It's almost more in line with the odds.

danielbb

I think you're post was quite good, but there is one thing I wanted to address...

If you look at the statistics when it comes to smokers and cancer, the vast majority will NOT develop cancer. Like, 90% of smokers. However, the risk of cancer, especially lung cancer, is significantly greater among smokers. It's ten times more prevalent. Regularly inhaling smoke is not healthy, especially since cigarettes contain a significant amount of tar and iron. Still, that means that 10% of smokers will get cancer as opposed to 1% of the population as a whole (at least what doctors identify as cancer). A dramatic increase..... but not most.

When thinking about it this way, it doesn't make the "outlier" cases you mention much of an outlier at all. It's almost more in line with the odds.
Good stuff. Did not know that. I'd still rather be in the 1% club however even with those statistics.

Queequeg

Now the tricky part and my ultimate question. Ray says he consumes anywhere between a pint and a quart of OJ per day (other places he says even more) which would give him from about 250mg to 500mg or more of vitamin C per day. I had four glasses of OJ plus other fruit yesterday for about 550mg, for example. I've read many sources that say the industrialized/commercialized vitamin C in supplement form is often an overload to the system and much of it is excreted in the urine. Also, Ray talks about the supplement form as being possibly disruptive to our bowels. Thus, someone trying to take their 6g/day (or more) according to Pauling/Rath protocol - how much of it is actually bioavailable? My intuition tells me that 250mg to about 500mg a day from natural sources ought to be enough but would like others to chime in on this if possible. Is it possible 6g is the amount needed from supplements in order for our bodies to get the desired amount - assuming there is validity to the Pauling/Rath protocol?
We along with other primates lost the ability to synthesize Vitamin C millions of years ago due to a genetic mutation. This was actually selected for as primates/early humans were eating more than enough Vitamin C from their diets and self production would be wasteful. The problem for humans today is that we no longer eat Vitamin C in such mega doses so we are left in a chronic state of Vitamin C deficiency. While gorillas and chimps in the wild consume about 4-5 grams of vitamin C per day, the RDA for humans is 60 mg. Why would human's need for Vitamin C be so different from that of our closest ancestors?

We along with other primates lost the ability to synthesize Vitamin C millions of years ago due to a genetic mutation. This was actually selected for as primates/early humans were eating more than enough Vitamin C from their diets and self production would be wasteful. The problem for humans today is that we no longer eat Vitamin C in such mega doses so we are left in a chronic state of Vitamin C deficiency. While gorillas and chimps in the wild consume about 4-5 grams of vitamin C per day, the RDA for humans is 60 mg. Why would human's need for Vitamin C be so different from that of our closest ancestors?

I've heard this but I don't believe it. Something seems strange about this extrapolation. Nobody can easily get anywhere near those levels of C physiologically by just eating food.

Queequeg

I've heard this but I don't believe it. Something seems strange about this extrapolation. Nobody can easily get anywhere near those levels of C physiologically by just eating food.
Not with a human diet, but at one point in our evolutionary history we did. Perhaps initially when we started to change this diet we evolved methods to compensate such as recycling of vitamin C etc, but now with the modern diet of PUFAs and processed food this compensation is not enough and the protective effects of Vitamin C are needed more than any time in the past.

The Rath video presents some compelling evidence for the reversal of artherosclerosis by the Pauling Therapy (Vitamin C, Lysine, and proline). Also there are a ton of anecdotal stories of people's success with it online.

Here is an interesting article on primates in zoos coming down with heart disease.
SAVE THE GORILLAS

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals