Observations from using a continuous glucose monitor - Jessie Inchauspé

OP
David PS

David PS

How were you eating those oats? Old-fashioned or rolled oats with enough whole milk easily keep me satiated until lunch.
I agree. The simplest changes that get the job done the better.
Yes - like old-fashioned oats! I always wondered why I was "starving" 2 hours after breakfast! Looking into steel-cut oats now. You really have me thinking, David PS!
Let us know how it this works out for you.

OP
David PS

David PS

These lower glycemic index-centred methods always boil down to consuming fewer calories, but it's presented in a sneaky disguise of methods that impair digestion like combining too many different foods, or achieving fullness and impairing absorption by loading up on fibrous vegetable matter. Last time I tried to go down the low GI route, my BMI dropped to 16, my digestion got worse, thyroid tanked. It took me a while to realise that low GI dieting is just another name for low calorie dieting.

Also, starch digestion involves the salivary enzyme alpha amylase which performs best at 6.5-7 pH. Messing with the ph of the starches by adding vinegar will interfere with the breakdown of starch
Vinegar is useful but optional. Try the food order hack.

OP
David PS

David PS

From the orignal post
4. Use your muscles for at least 10min after a meal (a walk, cleaning the house, walking up the stairs, dancing, squats...)
1660082338879.png

Use your muscles after eating for 10 minutes
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Move after eating (walk, dance, clean, exercise...)
⬇️
muscles need energy
⬇️
When glucose reaches the bloodstream, it is taken up by muscle cells to make energy.
⬇️
Smaller glucose peak
⬇️
No glucose drop two hours after eating, less insulin released, less inflammation, more stable mood, better skin, happier organs, happier heart

OP
David PS

David PS

1660123891025.png

This response was surprising to me. Scientific studies have shown that cinnamon improves glucose levels. But i’ve personally never seen a reduction in glucose response by adding cinnamon to something I ate or drank. In the scientific studies, participants take 500 mg to 6 g of cinnamon per day for a duration lasting from 40 days to 4 months. That’s a lot of cinnamon. Only then is there an improvement in their glucose levels.

OP
David PS

David PS

What about apple cider vinegar?​

Studies have shown that just supplementing a meal with vinegar decreases the glucose response of the meal.

1*9adqVmwWp3dFEaRn51JcIA.png

Apple cider vinegar reducing the glucose spike of chocolate
Some hypothesies for how vinegar does this: by slowing down gastric emptying (how quickly food goes from stomach to small intestine), and by impacting digestive enzymes.

Need a silver bullet to reduce the glucose reponse of a meal? Go with vinegar.

lvysaur

I appreciate the evidence, but isn't most of this common sense? I always eat meat first, then starches, and then finish off with dessert if I feel like it (which is rare)

However, I never crave vegetables with a full meal. Meat + rice is what I crave. I only eat vegetables totally separately from normal food, and I do it when I have a very mild hunger.

I noticed that in the graphs provided, none of them test the vegetable theory. Which doubly makes me think that the "vegetables first" part doesn't matter at all, and that vegetables don't need to be, or even shouldn't be, eaten with a full meal.

OP
David PS

David PS

I appreciate the evidence, but isn't most of this common sense? I always eat meat first, then starches, and then finish off with dessert if I feel like it (which is rare)

However, I never crave vegetables with a full meal. Meat + rice is what I crave. I only eat vegetables totally separately from normal food, and I do it when I have a very mild hunger.

I noticed that in the graphs provided, none of them test the vegetable theory. Which doubly makes me think that the "vegetables first" part doesn't matter at all, and that vegetables don't need to be, or even shouldn't be, eaten with a full meal.
common-sense-is-not-so-common.jpg

I will get back to you later about the vegetables. I am involved with writing about the nursery rhyme, Humpty Dumpty. :): (strange perhaps but seriously)

Last edited:

lvysaur

I will get back to you later about the vegetables. I am involved with writing about the nursery rhyme, Humpty Dumpty. :): (strange perhaps but seriously)
It would be interesting if the vegetables actually served a specific purpose in there, but I still suspect it was just an afterthought to her.

The entire idea of eating a dedicated side of veggies with a meal seems similar to the rigid 3-meal-a-day model, in that people follow it for no reason and don't have the intuition/instinct to realize that it feels forced.

PeskyPeater

Goodday!

I have more info on how vinegar lowers the blood glucose.

One effect of Acetic acid in vinegar, can reduce the breakdown of complex carbs, the disaccharides, into simple sugars to a certain extent. Im not sure what happens to all those disaccharides, but I suppose a certain part go's into the colon for fermentation.

Acetic acid also can improve glycogen storage in liver and muscle, while not having a detrimental effect on the rate of gastric emptying, it seems AA is more effectively distributing glucose into the glycogen form. This seems like the main effect ...

Acetic Acid Suppresses the Increase in Disaccharidase Activity That Occurs during Culture of Caco-2 Cells
In conclusion, culturing Caco-2 cells with acetic acid suppresses the increases in disaccharidase activities during cell growth. This suppression by acetic acid may be due to the interference of post-translational trafficking of synthesized disaccharidases from rER to tGA. This seems to be one of the mechanisms underlying the antihyperglycemic effect of vinegar observed in vivo. However, there are still cases which cannot be explained by our conclusion obtained in this study. Nakajima and Ebihara (1988) have shown that long-term treatment of rats with acetic acid reduces blood glucose concentration immediately after the administration of glucose. This study demonstrates that acetic acid can reduce the glucose level in the blood even when glucose itself is loaded. Brighenti et al. (1995) have shown another case in which acetic acid decreases the blood glucose level even when acetic acid is given with meal, indicating an acute effect of acetic acid on the blood glucose level. Acetic acid may change glucose tissue distribution or its utilization to synthesize glycogen. To understand mechanisms underlying the antihyperglycemic effects of acetic acid, further experiments are required.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...pletion_in_Liver_and_Skeletal_Muscle_of_Rats1

To investigate the efficacy of the ingestion of vinegar in aiding recovery from fatigue, we examined the effect of dietary acetic acid, the main component of vinegar, on glycogen repletion in rats. Rats were allowed access to a commercial diet twice daily for 6 d. After 15 h of food deprivation, they were either killed immediately or given 2 g of a diet containing 0 (control), 0.1, 0.2 or 0.4 g acetic acid/100 g diet for 2 h. The 0.2 g acetic acid group had significantly greater liver and gastrocnemius muscle glycogen concentration than the control group (P < 0.05). The concentrations of citrate in this group in both the liver and skeletal muscles were >1.3-fold greater than in the control group (P > 0.1). In liver, the concentration of xylulose-5-phosphate in the control group was significantly higher than in the 0.2 and 0.4 g acetic acid groups (P < 0.01). In gastrocnemius muscle, the concentration of glucose-6-phosphate in the control group was significantly lower and the ratio of fructose-1,6-bisphosphate/fructose-6-phosphate was significantly higher than in the 0.2 g acetic acid group (P < 0.05). This ratio in the soleus muscle of the acetic acid fed groups was <0.8-fold that of the control group (P > 0.1). In liver, acetic acid may activate gluconeogenesis and inactivate glycolysis through inactivation of fructose-2,6-bisphosphate synthesis due to suppression of xylulose-5-phosphate accumulation. In skeletal muscle, acetic acid may inhibit glycolysis by suppression of phosphofructokinase-1 activity. We conclude that a diet containing acetic acid may enhance glycogen repletion in liver and skeletal muscle.

Discussion
Here we have confirmed that a diet containing acetic acid at concentrations similar to those consumed in a normal meal enhances glycogen repletion in the liver and skeletal muscles of rats (Fig. 1A–C). The effect in liver and gastrocnemius muscle appeared to be linear up to 0.2 g acetic acid/100 g diet. Neither the gastrointestinal PEG content nor the glucose/ PEG ratio differed among the fed groups, indicating that dietary acetic acid did not influence gastric emptying, the rate of food intake or glucose absorption. ...
...The pathway of glycogen synthesis in liver is mainly via gluconeogenesis (indirect pathway) or a glucose phosphorylation step (direct pathway) (43). The direct pathway has two stages, i.e., glucose phosphorylation, which was not affected by acetic acid feeding because there were no differences in GK activity among any of the groups, and the conversion of G-6-P into glycogen. Because G-6-P is used as a precursor for not only glycogen synthesis but also glycolysis and the pentose phosphate cycle, inhibition of these steps supports the preferential utilization of G-6-P for glycogenesis. This suggests that the enhancement of glycogen repletion by acetic acid may result from the activation of both the indirect pathway by inhibition of F-2,6-P2 synthesis caused by a decrease of X-5-P accumulation and the direct pathway by activating the preferential utilization of G-6-P for glycogenesis due to the suppression of glycolysis and the pentose phosphate pathway.

Attachments

• fushimi2001-acetic acid.pdf
    234.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
David PS

David PS

It would be interesting if the vegetables actually served a specific purpose in there, but I still suspect it was just an afterthought to her.

The entire idea of eating a dedicated side of veggies with a meal seems similar to the rigid 3-meal-a-day model, in that people follow it for no reason and don't have the intuition/instinct to realize that it feels forced.
1660131139785.png

that was easier than I thought

OP
David PS

David PS

Galette des rois is a traditional French pastry that is eaten in January. The top image is having it as dessert after a meal (here it is after a large salad, but salads are not necessay- just food in the stomach). The lower image is eating it as a snack on an empty stomach in the afternoon.

1660133010541.png

InChristAlone

The response to something loaded with carbs is going to be worse alone when someone is relying on cortisol too much to sustain blood glucose. I've never seen such huge spikes albeit I have only ever done finger sticks but I literally have never caught such a huge high blood glucose from a high carb meal in the many yrs of being curious what my blood glucose is doing. This person seems on the road to diabetes and not being able to eat carbs.

OP
David PS

David PS

The response to something loaded with carbs is going to be worse alone when someone is relying on cortisol too much to sustain blood glucose. I've never seen such huge spikes albeit I have only ever done finger sticks but I literally have never caught such a huge high blood glucose from a high carb meal in the many yrs of being curious what my blood glucose is doing. This person seems on the road to diabetes and not being able to eat carbs.
I agree but I have to add that galette des rois is incredibly rich and I do not know if anyone can avoid the huge spike in blood glucose. Her other racks seem to keep her blood glucose under control.

InChristAlone

I agree but I have to add that galette des rois is incredibly rich and I do not know if anyone can avoid the huge spike in blood glucose. Her other racks seem to keep her blood glucose under control.
I'm unsure what her wealth has to do with it?

OP
David PS

David PS

I'm unsure what her wealth has to do with it?
Have you ever heard of the idiomatic expression 'too rich for my blood'? (see definition #3) I suspect that she purposefully chose galette des rois to demonstrate a point.

InChristAlone

Lol sorry I thought you were referring to the lady, not the cake.

OP
David PS

David PS

Lol sorry I thought you were referring to the lady, not the cake.
Thanks it is good to understand the source of your confusion. I try to be helpful and using expressions makes for a more colorful read.

I think tricks like vinegar are largely worthless. You can eat your veggies first, then protein/fat, then starch. That is the essence of the Glucose Goddess's book. You don't need to buy it. There is nothing else in it of value, and even this is worthless because I don't eat veggies all the time, only at dinner.

Best: Wear a CGM for a few weeks and run your own experiments. It's not a series of little tricks that count. It's not expensive and will change your health for the better because you make your own discoveries.

For me, it's eliminating sugary drinks including juice and Coke, and relying more on starch and saturated fats that makes a big improvement in minimizing swings in blood sugar. Also eliminating large protein portions (e.g. a big steak).

I also have noticed fewer endotoxin symptoms since I've been doing this.

I am starting to think that endotoxin symptoms are a result of hypoglycemic episodes and that lowering harmful stress hormones by maintaining more even blood sugar

OP
David PS

David PS

I think tricks like vinegar are largely worthless. You can eat your veggies first, then protein/fat, then starch. That is the essence of the Glucose Goddess's book. You don't need to buy it. There is nothing else in it of value, and even this is worthless because I don't eat veggies all the time, only at dinner.

Best: Wear a CGM for a few weeks and run your own experiments. It's not a series of little tricks that count. It's not expensive and will change your health for the better because you make your own discoveries.

For me, it's eliminating sugary drinks including juice and Coke, and relying more on starch and saturated fats that makes a big improvement in minimizing swings in blood sugar. Also eliminating large protein portions (e.g. a big steak).

I also have noticed fewer endotoxin symptoms since I've been doing this.

I am starting to think that endotoxin symptoms are a result of hypoglycemic episodes and that lowering harmful stress hormones by maintaining more even blood sugar
These are just tricks to imumize the glucose spikes. They do not need to be used at each and every meal. In addition, there are need to use all (or even some of them) simultaneously at the same meal.

Spiking blood glucose can lead to a hypoglycemic swing.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals