Peat against Iodine supplementation but plenty in milk?

G1986

Forum Supporter
I understand that Ray Peat is against supplementing with more than 150mcg of Iodide per day, yet he was including plenty of Milk in the diet which contains a pretty good amount of Iodide, certainly way more than 150 mcg.

Why is that? it does not make sense to me.

I personally don't eat dairy and have rarely seafood, so I'm assuming I'm a good candidate for a low 225mcg of potassium Iodide daily. what do you guys think?

Peater

I have taken mg amounts of Lugols and SSKI, along with the important co-factor selenium, with lab confirmed tests showing low thyroid antibodies. So it did not annihilate my thyroid. TSH went up as expected.

Now, thyroid function is a different matter to thyroid destruction - I am trying this low vitamin A thing, and apparently thyroid hormone and vit A share the same transporter. I don't think there is much point in re-testing until I have somewhat depleted vit A.

I wonder if Ray was also intaking lots of synthetic vit A and D with his milk. Or if pasteurisation leads to retinoic acid production, on top of that! I am not American so I have no way of knowing if it is prevelant. I heard it was mandated. No one seems keen to answer. But it seems a relevant and legitamate question.

Last edited:

lamassu

I'd guess since the amount you need to supplement depends on how much you consume from foods. if you eat lots of milk and seafood, like Peat, you may not need to supplement at all

Sphagnum

From my reading of Ray, he felt that the body’s nutritional needs should be met with food whenever possible. While I wouldn’t say he was completely opposed to supplements, he did warn against using isolated substances, especially long term.

When you have a food that is considered “a good source of ____,” there is always an abundance of other cofactors also found in the food that have interactions with the body as well.

OP
G1986

G1986

Forum Supporter
From my reading of Ray, he felt that the body’s nutritional needs should be met with food whenever possible. While I wouldn’t say he was completely opposed to supplements, he did warn against using isolated substances, especially long term.

When you have a food that is considered “a good source of ____,” there is always an abundance of other cofactors also found in the food that have interactions with the body as well.
that is a good point.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals