Peating made me fat. Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) is reversing it

RealNeat

I think k1 is making changes to your microbiome favorably hence the weight management. You may have hindered your microbial activity with “Peaty” substances which favor low microbial activity and even no microbial activity (antibiotics). Many forget that Peat recommended k1 supplementation even with something as simple as the carrot salad. The microbial balance is also likely assisting in preventing endotoxin hence decreasing burden on the liver.

“Ohsaki et al. (114) revealed that VK inhibited the production of IL-6 in human macrophagic THP-1 cells and that dietary supplementation of K1 inhibited the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced inflammatory process in rats.“

Last edited:

Dr. B

I think k1 is making changes to your microbiome favorably hence the weight management. You may have hindered your microbial activity with “Peaty” substances which favor low microbial activity and even no microbial activity (antibiotics). Many forget that Peat recommended k1 supplementation even with something as simple as the carrot salad. The microbial balance is also likely assisting in preventing endotoxin hence decreasing burden on the liver.

“Ohsaki et al. (114) revealed that VK inhibited the production of IL-6 in human macrophagic THP-1 cells and that dietary supplementation of K1 inhibited the lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced inflammatory process in rats.“

Why did he recommend K1 alongside carrot salad? Because of the antibiotic effects of the carrot salad?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

@ddjd Do you have any thoughts on dosage and time of day?
As already mentioned. 3 x 100ug tablets a day with a fatty meal.

One thing I've noticed whatever you consume around same time, whether food or supplements seems to absorb a lot better. Something to be careful of around other supplements

orangebear

As already mentioned. 3 x 100ug tablets a day with a fatty meal.

One thing I've noticed whatever you consume around same time, whether food or supplements seems to absorb a lot better. Something to be careful of around other supplements
Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind

OP
ddjd

ddjd

I think you are partly right re k1 affecting my microbiome

When did peat recommend taking k1 with the carrot salad?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

You are simply incorrect.

I take a blood thinner daily as treatment for my heart attack. I am 51. I had terrible bruising on the backs of my hands and forearms. I looked like some acquaintances in their 70s and 80s.

Kuinone solved it. I now take 10 drops orally and 2 topically. My bruising has disappeared. I also do a bit of aspirin beyond the 81mg prescribed. Any bruising that has popped up was eliminated by K2. I didn’t start with 24mg K2 but over time I found this dose to be perfect.
Which blood thinner med?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

This is very interesting. I would be willing to try in place of MK4. Did you happen to catch this post from another thread? Not sure what to make of it.

Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) induces vascular endothelial dysfunction
Isn't this study effectively saying that vitamin k1 reduces nitric oxide 🤣🤣🤣

You must be new to peating

"VK1 did not affect nitrate formation but strongly inhibited nitrite generation, suggesting an interference with the NO pathway"

MORE REASON TO USE IT!

Dr. B

Isn't this study effectively saying that vitamin k1 reduces nitric oxide 🤣🤣🤣

You must be new to peating

"VK1 did not affect nitrate formation but strongly inhibited nitrite generation, suggesting an interference with the NO pathway"

MORE REASON TO USE IT!

Does carbon dioxide take over NOs functions like improved blood flow to the member area?

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Here is a detailed overview of the study "Role of Vitamin K in Intestinal Health" published in Frontiers in Immunology in February 2022[1]:

## Background
- Vitamin K (VK) is known for its role in blood coagulation and bone metabolism.
- Recent studies suggest VK is also involved in oxidative stress, immune response, inflammation, and cancer progression in various organs and tissues.
- VK has shown protective effects in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and colorectal cancer (CRC).

## Objectives
- Summarize the latest findings on VK actions in the intestine beyond coagulation
- Elucidate the mechanisms by which VK modulates intestinal microbes, exerts anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects, and improves intestinal function

## Sources of Vitamin K
- Phylloquinone (VK1) from green leafy vegetables
- Menaquinones (VK2) from animal-based and fermented foods
- Menaquinones produced by gut bacteria

## Vitamin K and Gut Microbiota
- VK influences gut microbiota composition and diversity
- Gut bacteria can produce VK, especially long-chain menaquinones
- VK status is associated with higher levels of beneficial bacteria like Bacteroides, Prevotella, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus, etc.
- VK deficiency is linked to gut dysbiosis

## Anti-Inflammatory and Antioxidant Effects
- VK suppresses pro-inflammatory cytokines like IL-6, TNF-α
- Increases anti-inflammatory cytokine IL-10
- Inhibits NF-κB signaling pathway
- Upregulates antioxidant enzymes like catalase and superoxide dismutase
- Reduces oxidative stress markers

## Intestinal Function and Disease
- VK maintains intestinal barrier function
- Protects against colitis in animal models
- Higher VK intake associated with lower risk of IBD and CRC in humans
- Potential mechanisms include modulating gut microbiota, reducing inflammation and oxidative stress

## Conclusion
This review highlights the multifaceted role of vitamin K in promoting intestinal health through its effects on gut microbiota, inflammation, oxidative stress, and intestinal barrier function. The findings support the potential of vitamin K as a preventive or therapeutic agent for intestinal diseases like IBD and CRC. However, more clinical studies are needed to establish its efficacy and safety in humans.

Citations:
[1] Role of Vitamin K in Intestinal Health https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8769504/
[2] Environmental Stewardship Resource Desk https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/777450d01d92d86f0984c482c68b8e3e07d5b8e7
[3] Evaluation of the safety profile of COVID-19 vaccines: a rapid review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8315897/
[4] Imaging for Prostate Cancer Recurrence. - PubMed - NCBI https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/8d8d1cb739d6352aa91ee2cfde4ad67bd1253a7e
[5] Use of cidofovir in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis Use of cidofovir in recurrent respiratory papillomatosis - PubMed
[6] Indexation: not quite yet. Indexation: not quite yet - PubMed
[7] Editorial https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/801aff550a4652b1c90d2e0c36ca50c4b6aef303
[8] 4CPS-028 Statin overuse? Evaluation of statin initiation for primary prevention during hospitalisation between two neighbouring countries in europe in high-risk patients https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/a138f4760961e88c467d4c673f4af280c4c1c1c4
[9] ФЕНОМЕН БАТЬКІВСЬКОГО ВИГОРАННЯ ЯК ПРЕДМЕТ ПСИХОЛОГІЧНОГО ДОСЛІДЖЕННЯ https://www.semanticscholar.o
rg/paper/6ed5ca578f427ebfda92ef3123b45eadd21b49ff

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Does carbon dioxide take over NOs functions like improved blood flow to the member area?
Here's a bit more detail on the study.

From a peat perspective all quite desirable;

Here is a detailed overview of the study "Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) induces vascular endothelial dysfunction: role of oxidative stress"[1]:

The study aimed to investigate the mechanisms underlying the vascular effects induced by phylloquinone (Vitamin K1; VK1). The researchers used vascular reactivity experiments on rat carotid rings to assess the impact of VK1 on endothelial function.

Key findings:

1. VK1 enhanced the contractile response to phenylephrine in endothelium-intact rings, but not in denuded rings. This effect was similar to that observed with nitric oxide (NO) synthase inhibitors, suggesting VK1 may impair NO-mediated vasodilation.

2. Pre-incubation with VK1 reduced acetylcholine- and bradykinin-induced relaxation in intact rings, further indicating endothelial dysfunction.

3. VK1-induced contraction was abolished by endothelial removal or incubation with NO synthase inhibitors, but not by inhibitors of neuronal NO synthase, inducible NO synthase, or cyclooxygenase. This suggests VK1 specifically impairs endothelial NO synthase function.

4. VK1 reduced L-arginine-induced relaxation in endothelium-intact rings, indicating it may interfere with the NO synthesis pathway.

5. Chemiluminescence assays showed VK1 increased superoxide anion levels in endothelium-intact but not denuded rings, suggesting it induces oxidative stress in the endothelium.

6. VK1 inhibited nitrite generation but did not alter nitrate formation, further supporting impaired NO production.

In summary, this study demonstrates that Vitamin K1 can induce endothelial dysfunction in rat carotid arteries, likely through oxidative stress-mediated impairment of endothelial nitric oxide synthase function and NO production. These findings suggest a potential adverse effect of high-dose Vitamin K1 supplementation on vascular health.

Citations:
[1] Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) induces vascular endothelial dysfunction: role of oxidative stress - PubMed Vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) induces vascular endothelial dysfunction: role of oxidative stress - PubMed
[2] Mechanisms Suggesting a Relationship between Vitamin D and Erectile Dysfunction: An Overview https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10295993/
[3] The effect of vitamin K1 on VEGF levels in chick embryos with type 1 diabetes and Diabetic Retinopathy induced by streptozotocin https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/1d0e8b2ec3dd78af1f00e180d2641db029d63386
[4] Observation of the neuroprotective efficacy of vitamin K in a streptozocin‐induced diabetes model in chick embryos Observation of the neuroprotective efficacy of vitamin K in a streptozocin-induced diabetes model in chick embryos - PubMed
[5] Vascular pathologies in chronic kidney disease: pathophysiological mechanisms and novel therapeutic approaches https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7900031/
[6] The power of berries against cardiovascular diseases. The power of berries against cardiovascular diseases - PubMed
[7] [Hyperhomocysteinemia and erectile dysfunction: an update]. [Hyperhomocysteinemia and erectile dysfunction: an update] - PubMed
[8] Aortic stenosis in the elderly can be prevented: old risk factors and a new pathological condition https://www.ncbi.nlm.ni
h.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6439917/

OP
ddjd

ddjd

A daily phylloquinone intake of ≈1000 μg is required to maximally γ-carboxylate circulating osteocalcin.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

What does this mean in layman terms?
- Phylloquinone,K1, is a nutrient essential for bone health.

- Osteocalcin is a protein found in bones that requires vitamin K for its activation through a process called γ-carboxylation.

- The study suggests that a high intake of vitamin K1 (1000mcg) is necessary to fully activate osteocalcin.

-Fully activated osteocalcin, achieved through adequate vitamin K1 intake, is crucial for maintaining strong and healthy bones

Dr. B

- Phylloquinone,K1, is a nutrient essential for bone health.

- Osteocalcin is a protein found in bones that requires vitamin K for its activation through a process called γ-carboxylation.

- The study suggests that a high intake of vitamin K1 (1000mcg) is necessary to fully activate osteocalcin.

-Fully activated osteocalcin, achieved through adequate vitamin K1 intake, is crucial for maintaining strong and healthy bones

K2 mk4 or mk7 wont work for that purpose?

gabys225

I've been using K1 for several months, and I notice all the effects from K2 and more. Plus it's really cheap. One of the few supps I still take.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I've been using K1 for several months, and I notice all the effects from K2 and more. Plus it's really cheap. One of the few supps I still take.
What effects do you notice?

youngsinatra

Interesting study.

Also interesting that the K1 supplemented group had higher testicular levels of K2-MK4 than the group that directly got supplemented with MK4.

taralynne

I just ordered some K1 to see if it helps with weight loss. I have been taking K2 for a few months but haven't noticed any benefits and I haven't been able to shift any of the weight gain I've had in the last several years. I have my fingers crossed as nothing else I have tried has helped. Thank you for sharing your experience @ddjd.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals