Potato diet and blood sugar experiment

One of the most insulinogenic foods on the Earth. No wonder it makes you that way.
I am struggling to understand why you say this. Everywhere I read it claims that beans have a low glycemic index. Where are you getting this information?

I guess you mean the potatoes? we were talking about beans man

OP
Serge

Serge

I am struggling to understand why you say this. Everywhere I read it claims that beans have a low glycemic index. Where are you getting this information?
Insulin and glycemic indexes may be very different for a food... Anyways, in my experience as a T2D, well cooked beans (and you gotta cook them well) are as good at raising blood sugar as anything else starchy: potato, pasta, grains.

Insulin and glycemic indexes may be very different for a food... Anyways, in my experience as a T2D, well cooked beans (and you gotta cook them well) are as good at raising blood sugar as anything else starchy: potato, pasta, grains.
Ah good to know. So does that mean it spikes insulin quickly but your guts are slowly absorbing that glucose into the blood and the insulin is already there?

OP
Serge

Serge

So does that mean it spikes insulin quickly but your guts are slowly absorbing that glucose into the blood and the insulin is already there?
One needs a laboratory to know for sure :) I just know that I have high blood sugar after beans, and tend to overeat them.

If you don't have those effects that I do, why not eat them? I like them too...
Well, I never check my own blood sugar, so who's to say what happens there? I won't stop eating them in fact I am about to eat some!

I know beans aren't peaty but they are easy on my body. I don't get bloated from them. Gluten does that to me, it's a cruel world :confused:

peatmoss

@Serge
I had a cut on my face sewed up, and somehow there was sort of a rash or infection around it, the size of a small coin. I tried lots of things with no avail, but it's almost compeletely cleared up now by itself. I blame gut bacteria for that.

when you stick to what you now know works, what other things have you noticed? Any changes in how well you sleep? Energy levels? Sense of well being?

I'm.No.One

Maybe the potatoes are helping because you're Potassium deficient which is really important for blood sugar control.

Also, with no real meat in your diet you know you're likely B12 deficient right? It happens quickly & also tends to make blood sugar regulation really hard.

Potassium is also a cofactor for B12 so not enough potassium means you're not able to use any B12 you may be getting.

I'd do more digging into the "why" potatoes help your high blood sugar because it's absolutely pointing to something.

I guess you mean the potatoes? we were talking about beans man

Ah good to know. So does that mean it spikes insulin quickly but your guts are slowly absorbing that glucose into the blood and the insulin is already there?
Glycemic index and insulinogenic index are different.

OP
Serge

Serge

@Serge

when you stick to what you now know works, what other things have you noticed? Any changes in how well you sleep? Energy levels? Sense of well being?

Too early to say, I've done too much experimenting with other foods since I achieved that low blood sugar number a month ago, playing with gelatin, bone broth, fats, milk, eggs, meat etc. I think for a pure experiment I need more time before I can tell. By February probably... All I can say now, once I start adding things, it messes me up sugarwise and appetitewise and emotionalwise. Back to strict potatas!

Also, with no real meat in your diet you know you're likely B12 deficient right?
I think one-two kilos of beef or a pound of liver every, say, ten days whold take care of it. I don't plan eating nothing but potato, but rather have a long series of potato only days, with a day or two of rather liberal days.
Agree on potassium.
PS I've taken some potassium-magnesium supplements through the years, never seemed to help much. I believe they just can't fix the wrong diet, and have more of a homeopathic effect until you put the base right.

cremes

I think one-two kilos of beef or a pound of liver every, say, ten days whold take care of it. I don't plan eating nothing but potato, but rather have a long series of potato only days, with a day or two of rather liberal days.
When I potato hack, this is essentially what I do. My routine is to eat 50-150 grams of red meat (beef or lamb) every 4 days while doing rather strict potato diet otherwise.

Lots of vitamin E (800 IU daily) and vitamin C (3-5 grams daily) to deal with the PUFA released from my body's tissues rounds out the protocol.

OP
Serge

Serge

When I potato hack, this is essentially what I do. My routine is to eat 50-150 grams of red meat (beef or lamb) every 4 days while doing rather strict potato diet otherwise.

Lots of vitamin E (800 IU daily) and vitamin C (3-5 grams daily) to deal with the PUFA released from my body's tissues rounds out the protocol.

Thanks, interesting. Makes sense. I guess you don't have high blood glucose issues? I'm asking because I certainly like the low morning BG numbers on potato diet, but then during the day as I eat potatoes, I still am living with high BG. Especially as I eat whenever I want. So maybe it would be better to eat at fixed times say at 1-2 pm and 7-8 pm to have a larger window to clear glucose from the bloodstream, yet avoiding stressful fasting (my glycogen storage is impaired I guess). I have some experience with "intermittent fasting" and evening OMAD, normally not eating started to become sort of painful by 3-4pm to me.

cremes

I guess you don't have high blood glucose issues?
I don't believe so. For about 10 years I took my glucose readings a few times a week to make sure I wasn't prediabetic (my dad developed Type2 in his later years). BG was perfect regardless of diet.

I haven't done that in a while but I still have my meter. I'm going to potato hack this January so it's a good time to buy more strips and dust off the lancets to test again. I certainly don't "feel" like I have BG issues... no major ups or downs during the day or around meals. But I'll confirm.

Thanks, interesting. Makes sense. I guess you don't have high blood glucose issues? I'm asking because I certainly like the low morning BG numbers on potato diet, but then during the day as I eat potatoes, I still am living with high BG. Especially as I eat whenever I want. So maybe it would be better to eat at fixed times say at 1-2 pm and 7-8 pm to have a larger window to clear glucose from the bloodstream, yet avoiding stressful fasting (my glycogen storage is impaired I guess). I have some experience with "intermittent fasting" and evening OMAD, normally not eating started to become sort of painful by 3-4pm to me.
why is this? are you lowering cortisol somehow?

OP
Serge

Serge

why is this? are you lowering cortisol somehow?
I don't know why morning BG goes down after some time on potato diet, I remember reading some research that a high carb low fat diet generally does that. I guess, when the body has 90-95% of calories to draw from carbs, it just has no choice but improve its ability to utilize glucose. Also, with plenty of sugar around, yes, cortisol must be lower, too. But it's just my speculations.
I wish that happened later during the day, too...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals