Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules

DaveFoster

I have been meaning too start it. I bought some, what is considered a high dose?
1500 mg taken with breakfast, and again at lunch, and again at dinner for a total of 4500 mg. I'd start with 500 to see how you react.

G Forrest

Just tried this. It was fairly simple - not that labor intensive to be honest. I don't see the reason to peel the potatoes as the juicer will likely discard most of this anyway. Cutting out this step saves time.

It doesn't yield a whole lot of end product though. I juiced maybe 5-6 medium size potatoes and only yielded about 1 cup of juice after the starch settled and the foam skimmed from the top. This would be the only reason it may be more trouble than it's worth. But if you can get a fairly large amount of potatoes and juice them all in one go, freezing whatever you don't use, then it could be worth it.

I am specifically trying this because I have had poor digestion for a while and Ray has stressed the importance of avoiding resistant starches while the gut heals, but also stressing the high quality protein component of the potato.

stsfut

The first rule of Potato Protein Soup Cooking is that you do not talk about Potato Protein Soup Cooking.

theLaw

Just tried this. It was fairly simple - not that labor intensive to be honest. I don't see the reason to peel the potatoes as the juicer will likely discard most of this anyway. Cutting out this step saves time.

It doesn't yield a whole lot of end product though. I juiced maybe 5-6 medium size potatoes and only yielded about 1 cup of juice after the starch settled and the foam skimmed from the top. This would be the only reason it may be more trouble than it's worth. But if you can get a fairly large amount of potatoes and juice them all in one go, freezing whatever you don't use, then it could be worth it.

I am specifically trying this because I have had poor digestion for a while and Ray has stressed the importance of avoiding resistant starches while the gut heals, but also stressing the high quality protein component of the potato.

It seems like a lot of trouble, but this stuff is as close to a panacea as I've found for digestive issues.

Stilgar

It is so worth the trouble. I make it every day at the moment. Sometimes twice a day!

It is a lot of effort but I don’t cook complicated meals much anymore or do anything laborious in the kitchen so I find it manageable. I have become a turbo peeler and can juice at quite a speed!

I use it to make mushroom soup. Fill the pan with mushrooms (ridiculous amounts), fry in butter or olive oil until the water comes out. Add lots of garlic and some herbs if you like. Once the water absorbs I add the potato juice. I let it sit as I’m cooking the mushrooms (at least an hour). Add the potato juice as you would stock to a soup. I use watery potatoes (about 5kg worth) and then cook for 45 mins or so, adding water if necessary.

It’s delicious, so look forward to it now and kill two birds with the mushrooms!

tara

I use it to make mushroom soup. Fill the pan with mushrooms (ridiculous amounts), fry in butter or olive oil until the water comes out. Add lots of garlic and some herbs if you like. Once the water absorbs I add the potato juice. I let it sit as I’m cooking the mushrooms (at least an hour). Add the potato juice as you would stock to a soup. I use watery potatoes (about 5kg worth) and then cook for 45 mins or so, adding water if necessary.
That sounds delicious!

G Forrest

It seems like a lot of trouble, but this stuff is as close to a panacea as I've found for digestive issues.

Yeah, getting it down is another story though. Maybe I'll have to add a lot of extra salt to make it more palatable.

Lolinaa

Sounds yummy Stillgar: mine in 5 minutes starts to burn so I couldn't imagine 45 minutes. The remaining starch tends to burn quickly.

Stilgar

Sounds yummy Stillgar: mine in 5 minutes starts to burn so I couldn't imagine 45 minutes. The remaining starch tends to burn quickly.

I double filter it and leave the bottom few cm to avoid almost all the starch. I add extra water in cooking to reduce the chance of burning.

Almost all the potatoes I have used in the UK are very watery too (Maris Piper are the main type I use). I get close to 1 1/2 to 2 litres of juice from 5kg of potatoes (pre cooking). Interestingly, only US type potatoes like russets seem to get those strands of clumping stuff in them.

Lolinaa

@Stilgar: thanks for the recipe. I tend to buy organic potatoes. I will add some water and double filter then. I thought it should look like scrambled eggs.

Stilgar

@Stilgar: thanks for the recipe. I tend to buy organic potatoes. I will add some water and double filter then. I thought it should look like scrambled eggs.

Yeah, that confused me in the beginning. I think it depends on the potato type. However it turns out, it is still a useful food.

G Forrest

Coffee is the best way to cover the taste I've found so far.

Thanks. I also noticed that there were still quite a few starch particles left in the mix even after removing during the separation phase, which I'm thinking got burned in the cooking causing the bitter flavor. Next time I'll run a further filter step with the coffee filters as you mentioned.

theLaw

Thanks. I also noticed that there were still quite a few starch particles left in the mix even after removing during the separation phase, which I'm thinking got burned in the cooking causing the bitter flavor. Next time I'll run a further filter step with the coffee filters as you mentioned.

I spoke with Haidut about this and he advised against excess filtering as it might actually remove the amino acids themselves which can apparently clump together like starch.

Mossy

Thanks to @theLaw for reminding me of this potato soup.

I'm curious, how is everyone logging this potato soup in cronometer? How do you record the total, and accurate, amount of protein and nutrients? I'm guessing there really isn't real accurate way to do this.

theLaw

Thanks to @theLaw for reminding me of this potato soup.

I'm curious, how is everyone logging this potato soup in cronometer? How do you record the total, and accurate, amount of protein and nutrients? I'm guessing there really isn't real accurate way to do this.

I think that the starch and skin would throw off the measurements of macros/micros.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals