Red Light for gut health and the microbiome

Mauritio

Red Light is the gift that keeps on giving. It's interesting that even shining red light on your body can alter the composition of your gut microbiome in a positive way. One study showed positive effects, even after one application. Another study showed a boost in the Akkermansia type of bacteria, which are known for their health benefits. Red Light exposure also shifted the microbiome towards bacteria producing SCFA's like butyrate.
They used different kinds of wavelengths, from red to far-infrared light, but they all seem to be positive for the gut.

Has anybody tried shining red light on their abdomen for a few minutes every day to help gut health?

Here are some interesting studies:

1. "PBM significantly altered the diversity and abundance of intestinal flora. Specifically, PBM treatment reversed the typical increase of Helicobacter and uncultured Bacteroidales and the decrease of Rikenella seen in AD mice."
- Gut flora-targeted photobiomodulation therapy improves senile dementia in an Aß-induced Alzheimer's disease animal model - PubMed

2. "
"Five genera (Bacteroides, Escherichia, Parabacteroides, Allobaculum, and Faecalibaculum) were significantly enriched 1 week after the D-LED PBM. Bacteroides acidifaciens significantly increased, while Lachnospiraceae significantly decreased after 1 week.
Conclusion: A single session of D-LED PBM improved hyperglycemia and hepatic parameters through the change of serum insulin, insulin resistance, insulin expression in the pancreatic β-cells, and gut microbiome in T2DM animal models."
- Duodenal Dual-Wavelength Photobiomodulation Improves Hyperglycemia and Hepatic Parameters with Alteration of Gut Microbiome in Type 2 Diabetes Animal Model - PubMed

3. "Specifically, we have observed changes in the microbiome of Parkinson's patients after a 12-week treatment regimen with photobiomodulation to the abdomen, neck, head and nose. Noted were positive changes in the Firmicutes to Bacteroidetes (F:B) ratio, which is often interpreted as a proxy for gut health."
- Microbiome Changes in Humans with Parkinson's Disease after Photobiomodulation Therapy: A Retrospective Study - PubMed

4. "The microbiome of the participant showed significant changes in diversity after PBM treatment, but not after cancer therapy, with an increase in the number of known beneficial bacteria (Akkermansia, Faecalibacterium, and Roseburia) and decrease in the number of potentially pathogenic genera. "
- Modifying the Microbiome as a Potential Mechanism of Photobiomodulation: A Case Report - PubMed

5."We propose that the use of PBM directed at the abdomen to down-regulate the local inflammatory response (either through the activation of the microbiome–gut–brain axis, the HPA axis, or a direct effect on mucosal neurons)..."
- A Holistic Perspective on How Photobiomodulation May Influence Fatigue, Pain, and Depression in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Beyond Molecular Mechanisms - PubMed

6."We found that APP/PS1 mice treated with MIR light had improved learning and memory abilities and reduced amyloid-β (Aβ) plaque load in the brain. We also surprisingly found that the gut microbiota composition in APP/PS1 mice treated with MIR light returned to normal (wild type mice) levels.
- Mid infrared light treatment attenuates cognitive decline and alters the gut microbiota community in APP/PS1 mouse model - PubMed

7. "Another interesting finding was the striking enhancement of the relative abundance of Clostridium clusters in the gut of FIR-irradiated mice (Fig. 3C). These clusters are known to produce SCFAs, especially for butyrate [16], [17], [18]."
- Far infrared radiation induces changes in gut microbiota and activates GPCRs in mice

Last edited:

Snicky

Red Light is the gift that keeps on giving. It's interesting that even shining red light on your body can alter the composition of your gut microbiome in a positive way. One study showed positive effects, even after one application. Another study showed a boost in the Akkermansia type of bacteria, which are known for their health benefits. Red Light exposure also shifted the microbiome towards bacteria producing SCFA's like butyrate.
They used different kinds of wavelengths, from red to far-infrared light, but they all seem to be positive for the gut.

Has anybody tried shining red light on their abdomen for a few minutes every day to help gut health?

1. "PBM significantly altered the diversity and abundance of intestinal flora. Specifically, PBM treatment reversed the typical increase of Helicobacter and uncultured Bacteroidales and the decrease of Rikenella seen in AD mice."
- Gut flora-targeted photobiomodulation therapy improves senile dementia in an Aß-induced Alzheimer's disease animal model - PubMed

2. "
"Five genera (Bacteroides, Escherichia, Parabacteroides, Allobaculum, and Faecalibaculum) were significantly enriched 1 week after the D-LED PBM. Bacteroides acidifaciens significantly increased, while Lachnospiraceae significantly decreased after 1 week.
Conclusion: A single session of D-LED PBM improved hyperglycemia and hepatic parameters through the change of serum insulin, insulin resistance, insulin expression in the pancreatic β-cells, and gut microbiome in T2DM animal models."
- Duodenal Dual-Wavelength Photobiomodulation Improves Hyperglycemia and Hepatic Parameters with Alteration of Gut Microbiome in Type 2 Diabetes Animal Model - PubMed

3. "Specifically, we have observed changes in the microbiome of Parkinson's patients after a 12-week treatment regimen with photobiomodulation to the abdomen, neck, head and nose. Noted were positive changes in the Firmicutes to Bacteroidetes (F:B) ratio, which is often interpreted as a proxy for gut health."
- Microbiome Changes in Humans with Parkinson's Disease after Photobiomodulation Therapy: A Retrospective Study - PubMed

4. "The microbiome of the participant showed significant changes in diversity after PBM treatment, but not after cancer therapy, with an increase in the number of known beneficial bacteria (Akkermansia, Faecalibacterium, and Roseburia) and decrease in the number of potentially pathogenic genera. "
- Modifying the Microbiome as a Potential Mechanism of Photobiomodulation: A Case Report - PubMed

5."We propose that the use of PBM directed at the abdomen to down-regulate the local inflammatory response (either through the activation of the microbiome–gut–brain axis, the HPA axis, or a direct effect on mucosal neurons)..."
- A Holistic Perspective on How Photobiomodulation May Influence Fatigue, Pain, and Depression in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Beyond Molecular Mechanisms - PubMed

6."We found that APP/PS1 mice treated with MIR light had improved learning and memory abilities and reduced amyloid-β (Aβ) plaque load in the brain. We also surprisingly found that the gut microbiota composition in APP/PS1 mice treated with MIR light returned to normal (wild type mice) levels.
- Mid infrared light treatment attenuates cognitive decline and alters the gut microbiota community in APP/PS1 mouse model - PubMed

7. "Another interesting finding was the striking enhancement of the relative abundance of Clostridium clusters in the gut of FIR-irradiated mice (Fig. 3C). These clusters are known to produce SCFAs, especially for butyrate [16], [17], [18]."
- Far infrared radiation induces changes in gut microbiota and activates GPCRs in mice
Thanks for this. I have tried a few times with a red light mask (fir face) on my abdomen and will try to make it a routine and note if i experience any changes. I do think the red light helps my skin… would love it if it helped with everything else, esp. gut health!

Sumbody

2. "

I love my red light device, but I have never figured out accurate dosing. Time + distance/power etc.

I know there is a formula for that based off the output of the light, but I typically just go by feel. And whenever my brain says, turn it off! Heh!

Osukhan

ive been using a red light panel before bed for over a year, Thanks for adding another benefit to the list! I will be buying another panel, most likely from Gembared , from some people that I follow have repeatedly shown it to be better than other panels

Snicky

ive been using a red light panel before bed for over a year, Thanks for adding another benefit to the list! I will be buying another panel, most likely from Gembared , from some people that I follow have repeatedly shown it to be better than other panels
What has been your routing/protocol and do you think you noticed benefits? If so, I’d love to hear them.

David PS

@Mauritio - Another great topic. Thanks Is also great timing for me. I stop using my red light during the summer months and sit in the sun instead. It is time to start using the red lights again with emphasis on the gut.

With regard to sun exposure sunlight has a great deal of red and infrared.

1695934365647.png

Osukhan

What has been your routing/protocol and do you think you noticed benefits? If so, I’d love to hear them.
ive tried a number of routines
main use was for some back pain and knee pain - can see improvements there
use on the face with the benonite clay (Ben greenfield podcast)
ive used Methylene blue with red light, not every time, hard to quantify the benefits there but for Science...
supposed to be good for testosterone too

geusterman

I had to dig deep into Google to get past all of the LED literature to find that the red/infrared chicken lamps that we use to keep baby chicks warm works very well. You get some heat in addition. I suppose it spins the meter a little faster! Has anyone else done this research?

TheSir

10 minutes of a heat lamp in the night and morning guarantees a bowel movement in the morning for me. At times it has relaxed the colon so much that I have practically pooped in my pants a little.

I had to dig deep into Google to get past all of the LED literature to find that the red/infrared chicken lamps that we use to keep baby chicks warm works very well. You get some heat in addition. I suppose it spins the meter a little faster! Has anyone else done this research?
I use a 250w incandescent IR. As close as I can tolerate to without burning myself. It's a powerful procedure which will cause lots of heavy metal dumps.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

10 minutes of a heat lamp in the night and morning guarantees a bowel movement in the morning for me. At times it has relaxed the colon so much that I have practically pooped in my pants a little.

I use a 250w incandescent IR. As close as I can tolerate to without burning myself. It's a powerful procedure which will cause lots of heavy metal dumps.
Interesting,do you use the incandescend from bulbrite that peat recommended? Unfortunetly mine broke, so I only have red light. But I really liked the other one.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio - Another great topic. Thanks Is also great timing for me. I stop using my red light during the summer months and sit in the sun instead. It is time to start using the red lights again with emphasis on the gut.

With regard to sun exposure sunlight has a great deal of red and infrared.

View attachment 56115
Yes! Laying in the sun without a shirt in the summer should help as well.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Thanks for this. I have tried a few times with a red light mask (fir face) on my abdomen and will try to make it a routine and note if i experience any changes. I do think the red light helps my skin… would love it if it helped with everything else, esp. gut health!
I get a good feeling when shining it over the appendix. One time I did it over the gallbladder/liver area and felt a bile dump, followed by a bowel movement immediately after. Does not work every time though.

TheSir

Interesting,do you use the incandescend from bulbrite that peat recommended? Unfortunetly mine broke, so I only have red light. But I really liked the other one.
It's a Philips bulb from Amazon. Cost was around 15e. I bought the bulb guard separately from a local shop. Screwed it onto a microphone stand.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

It's a Philips bulb from Amazon. Cost was around 15e. I bought the bulb guard separately from a local shop. Screwed it onto a microphone stand.
Ok, thanks.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

This article recommends 850nm, 8 inches distance for 10 minutes

1696002463664.png

sphenoid

I have a heat lamp hanging over my office chair that I fire up in the morning with a cup of coffee, definitely helps to get things moving. I also use this topically on the stomach whenever I eat a large meal or if I have some sort of irritation. Also works well to stimulate the liver if you're dealing with estrogen/endotoxin as well as balancing blood sugar. Pricey but would recommend it.

FlexBeam® - The Revolutionary Recovery Device

peateats1

What has everyone found to be the best red light? I'm looking to get maybe a red light panel of some sort, but never know what brand is the best. Any suggestions?

Sumbody

What has everyone found to be the best red light? I'm looking to get maybe a red light panel of some sort, but never know what brand is the best. Any suggestions?
Life Giving Store has some good ones.

I've had mine for several years, and only had to replace the power cord. Got a 10ft one on it now which is convenient.

Snicky

My mom asked to use my
larger new LED panel (red) on the back of her knee because it has been hurting her and she was noticeably walking with a limp/difficulty. Afterwards (25 minutes, about 16-18 inches away), she was pleasantly surprised to find the pain was gone!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I have one of the minis from Red Light Man • Light Therapy Products & Information . It was actually recommended from people on this forum, there are some good, old threads on red light. I have it for 5 years already and it still works well. The light should last for the rest of my life ,according to their data, so its a good investment. But genereally these lights last very long.
I was recommending red light to a patient of mine and she said she still has one from her grandma, who died in 1976 ,so it's at least that old and it still works lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals