Red Light for gut health and the microbiome

Pete Rey

I think Peat commented on this in the past but my personal experience is that it’s easy to “overdose” on the LEDs that are in very specific wavelengths, (660-850nm). The incandescent bulbs emit a wider range of wavelengths, and are apparently “more natural” as a result and therefore harder to overdose on. When using LED in specific wavelengths I use them for 5 minutes typically, where if I have an incandescent redlight in a brooder clamp I’ll leave it on for hours, (for example if I’m watching TV, or before bed).
I bought it probably 7 years ago, before I had really gotten into Peat. I would agree that the red circuit is easy to overdose on, particularly when aimed at the head. However, the advantage is if you stand close it can actually penetrate the skin by a few inches, making it effective for deeper tissue stimulation. This is good for athletes interested in muscle and tendon recovery, which is what a lot of studies are on. The red is definitely too bright to leave on for hours as ambient light. You could theoretically do that with the infrared circuit though I've never tried.

So I'd say they both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on how you intend to use them.
Great buy! Out of curiosity what setting and duration have you found works best for you? 660nm by itself for x minutes? 660 red and 850 infrared for x minutes? Thanks!
I just go by feel. The red is more intense so less than 5 minutes on any one area, held right next to my body or a few inches from my head, and I don't tend to use it too late at night. The IR I find it impossible to overdose on and can use it at any time for as long as I want.

Edit: I would also add that my hair is noticeably thicker with less grays after a few sessions of using it on my head after having not used it for a while, for those dealing with hair loss and related issues. I don't know if a less powerful light would necessarily have that effect.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals