Self phlebotomy

Santosh

In the hope of reducing an iron overload I have accumulated through the years, I have started giving blood at the hospital.

As a male, I have a minimum of a two months wait between sessions.
It seems that the frequency to restore normal iron levels is higher than that, and I would settle for once a month.

How does one perform a phlebotomy at home ?
Will poking the vein with a needle that had the plunger removed let the blood flow freely ?
I would then put a recipient under and measure a pint.

Michael Mohn

How much blood do you plan on losing?

Most iron overload situation can be normalized with 2 full blood donations in the first year, which is about 900ml. Blood donations once or twice a year as a maintenance is enough.
I've heard from several people getting problems from giving much more than that.
You don't want to go overboard with blood donations.

I tried to do it myself at home as I'm not eligible for blood donations.
I bought the biggest needle available in the pharmacy but after 50-100ml the needle was clogged. Hitting a vein by yourself isn't easy, even good nurses often need more than a try.

Jessie

I wouldn't recommend it, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do I guess. Just make sure everything is sterilized well. Last thing you want is getting an infection in your bloodstream.

OP
Santosh

Santosh

How much blood do you plan on losing?

Most iron overload situation can be normalized with 2 full blood donations in the first year, which is about 900ml.

Thank you.

I keep reading that people with hemochromatosis give a pint every week for 8 weeks then have maintainance of once every two months.

You have sources on what's the best frequency ?

Hugh Johnson

In the hope of reducing an iron overload I have accumulated through the years, I have started giving blood at the hospital.

As a male, I have a minimum of a two months wait between sessions.
It seems that the frequency to restore normal iron levels is higher than that, and I would settle for once a month.

How does one perform a phlebotomy at home ?
Will poking the vein with a needle that had the plunger removed let the blood flow freely ?
I would then put a recipient under and measure a pint.
Don't. It's not worth the risk. If you a reason to believe you have way too much iron in the blood, search the forum for substances that would mitigation the damage while you wait.

There are professional alternative medicine practitioners who do bloodletting. They apparently get something done, in addition to removing iron. Try them if you must.

LadyRae

During one of my pregnancies when I was incredibly sick and vomiting a lot, I had a close nurse friend down the street give me IV fluids every evening after she got home from work.

Do you know anyone in the medical field? Maybe you could just work something out with them at home.....

DrJ

If you truly have hemochromatosis and high enough iron levels then get a prescription from a doctor for phlebotomy...

Michael Mohn

I keep reading that people with hemochromatosis give a pint every week for 8 weeks
Over 4 liter of blood in only 2 month??? This sounds very dangerous. There's a reason they limit blood donations to half a liter every 2 month.
Did you have your iron levels checked, are you diagnosed with hemochromatosis? Hemochromatosis becomes dangerous with advanced age. Iron levels don't accumulate that quickly. I heard from a few people that 2 or 3 donations over a year brought their iron levels in normal range.

Tell tale symptoms
I know this seems hokey and perhaps un-peaty, but I've been looking at blood-sucking leeches as a legitimate detox + redox route. Supposedly if you have well-sourced, healthy leeches and feed them enough you can get some of the benefits of blood donation just at a slower, more steady rate.

username

A few years ago I tried doing this myself with a family member standing by, and I passed out after about 50 ml of blood. I have no idea why. It wasn't too much blood, clearly, and I wasn't feeling anxious about the procedure, but I just blacked out.

dannyroddy

I performed self-phlebotomy twice in 2019, and the second time, I stood up too fast while not putting enough pressure on my arm and almost passed out, which would have been really bad since I would regularly go a few days without seeing anyone. One of the stupidest things I've ever done.

AspiringSage

I know this seems hokey and perhaps un-peaty, but I've been looking at blood-sucking leeches as a legitimate detox + redox route. Supposedly if you have well-sourced, healthy leeches and feed them enough you can get some of the benefits of blood donation just at a slower, more steady rate.
I’d be wary of parasites. Lots of microorganisms hitch rides on larger life forms. Truly medical grade sterile leeches might be hard to source.

Samurai Drive

@dannyroddy
Hey Danny
Quick q, I read you use 1/8 teaspoon of progest e which equates to 5mg, but read ray qoute saying that would equate to 50mg. If you get time can you confirm please. Thanks man , hope ur well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals