Serotonin Production (gut) Depends On Bacteria

Matty D

Mindblowing stuff. From another planet haidut. :lol: Got to get my paws on some activated charcoal here in Munich... Thank you sir! :hattip

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Matty D said:
post 108176 Mindblowing stuff. From another planet haidut. :lol: Got to get my paws on some activated charcoal here in Munich... Thank you sir! :hattip

Thanks, I really hope more people understand that "feeding" the gut bacteria with resistant starch is not a good idea for many reasons, with serotonin being the main one. And it just so happens charcoal lowers serotonin as well:):

Last edited by a moderator:

Matty D

What is a good product recommendation for Europe? Any data points on that one Haidut?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Matty D said:
post 108274 What is a good product recommendation for Europe? Any data points on that one Haidut?

You can walk into any pharmacy and ask for "medicinal" charcoal. At least that's how they call it in Eastern Europe. I have tried several products in Europe and they all worked rather well. There is one product from Czech republic that seemed to have no additives whatsoever. The rest all had potato starch as additive, which is not that bad either.

Matty D

Cool I got some good Czech friends maybe they can do a charcoal run for me next time they go there. I love Czech people such freedom lovers and free spirits. :lol:

I will try the other recommendation as well haidut with the medicinal charcoal. :geek:

Another topic I'd like to get my head around is the Aspirin Haidut.

What's the difference between the soluble one with Vitamin C and the tablets? Is there anything I need to pay attention to in regards to added stuff in the soluble form? And i heard you guys talk about a aspirin powder. I listened to your podcast with Danny and it was brilliant btw. Thank you so much for sharing all this so openly and generously! :hattip

What is a good dose to start with and which labs would smart to check for? Lot's of noob questions here... :lol:

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Matty D said:
post 108606 Cool I got some good Czech friends maybe they can do a charcoal run for me next time they go there. I love Czech people such freedom lovers and free spirits. :lol:

I will try the other recommendation as well haidut with the medicinal charcoal. :geek:

Another topic I'd like to get my head around is the Aspirin Haidut.

What's the difference between the soluble one with Vitamin C and the tablets? Is there anything I need to pay attention to in regards to added stuff in the soluble form? And i heard you guys talk about a aspirin powder. I listened to your podcast with Danny and it was brilliant btw. Thank you so much for sharing all this so openly and generously! :hattip

What is a good dose to start with and which labs would smart to check for? Lot's of noob questions here... :lol:

I would ask these question in a separate thread as this one is about gut/serotonin.
There are many aspirin threads on the forum so it will depend on what you are taking it for. If you search around I am sure you will find the relevant information. The general guidelines are to maybe combine aspirin with baking soda to avoid potential side effects on the GI system. Also, if you are taking more than 500mg daily, Ray said adding some vitamin K may be warranted to reduce risk of bleeding issues. He says 1mg of vitamin K for every 325mg aspirin but I think even 500mg aspirin is OK for 1mg vitamin K.
Given the above, some people taking AlkaSeltzer but it has citric aid in it, so it's probably better if you mix aspirin and baking soda yourself in 1:1.3 ratio aspirin:soda.

Matty D

Thanks Haidut. Still not so savvy using the forum interface and applying the house rules.
Getting there. :D

halam

haidut said:
There is one product from Czech republic that seemed to have no additives whatsoever. The rest all had potato starch as additive, which is not that bad either.

Hi Haidut, what is the exact name of this product please? I am from Czech republic so I could buy it easily. I know one very good product called "Sanogel" which is sold in Czech republic. Do you mean this product?

http://sanogel.eu/en

Thanks

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
halam said:
post 109324
haidut said:
There is one product from Czech republic that seemed to have no additives whatsoever. The rest all had potato starch as additive, which is not that bad either.

Hi Haidut, what is the exact name of this product please? I am from Czech republic so I could buy it easily. I know one very good product called "Sanogel" which is sold in Czech republic. Do you mean this product?

http://sanogel.eu/en

Thanks

I don't think it was that product. The one I bought and used was produced by Farmacom, LTD and the box said the company is from the Czech republic.

EndAllDisease

Thanks for this thread it's amazing and I've learned a lot from it.

Quick question about activated charcoal:
Will it bind with any nutrients if consumed with food? If yes, which ones?
If yes also, how long before/after a meal would be ideal to consume activated charcoal?

heartnhands

Some people get constipation from AC, I usually don't. However, if already constipated AC can definitely make it worse. With lower doses (5-10 capsules) you should not be seeing much effect on bowel regularity.

What IS. A please?

lindsay

Fantastic stuff! Every since I had appendicitis, I am never without activated charcoal on hand. As well as an oregano/olive oil solution I made. For sinus related "infections", oregano oil seems to work particularly well when taken daily for a few days. Though I am not sure how it works on intestinal bacteria.

heartnhands

We won't die quickly with a sterile gut. It has been achieved multiple times in humans as a side effect of prolonged antibiotic therapy. What it does do is it may allow bad bacteria to colonize the clean gut and that may be lethal. So a clean gut is not a problem, it's the potential to be colonized with pathogenic bacteria. However, if there is a practical way to keep your gut clean, it is preferable. In other words, in the absense of practical methods or resources to keep your gut always clean then it is the lesser of two evils to have it colonized by "beneficial" bacteria as opposed to something like the Clostridium strain. But it is not preferable to having a clean gut.
Thanks for the conversation thread. I WAS just starting to think about doing more charcoal but don't want to loose all the good metabolites I've been using. So I have two questions:

1) can charcoal take out dental metals? After a short use of charcoal as an occasional tooth Polish during a time when I was also under extreme stress of loss of loved ones, a few not that old dental fillers dislodged. So if you know anything about to what extent charcoal acts like a chealator to remove metal and maybe iron please share.

2) Do you know what gut bacteria are good? Which ones are taken out by tetracycline?

Thanks for any experiences or solid information! So grateful to have a place to learn so much.

EIRE24

Fantastic stuff! Every since I had appendicitis, I am never without activated charcoal on hand. As well as an oregano/olive oil solution I made. For sinus related "infections", oregano oil seems to work particularly well when taken daily for a few days. Though I am not sure how it works on intestinal bacteria.

What is the best way to take activated charcoal? Although I do eat starch, should I see benefits from taking the charcoal or would it only work in the instance of consuming no starch?

lindsay

What is the best way to take activated charcoal? Although I do eat starch, should I see benefits from taking the charcoal or would it only work in the instance of consuming no starch?

Whether you consume and tolerate starch is really an individual thing. I don't handle it well and tend to avoid it now. I was eating a lot of starch & little fat when I got appendicitis - mostly potatoes and rice. Charcoal didn't help me much in that case, but I was only taking about 2 capsules per day and only when I had "issues."

Charcoal will hinder the absorption of nutrients, so it's best to take it in between meals (like one might eat the carrot salad) - but if you are real sick, you probably won't care about it hindering absorption. I usually take a couple of capsules after going out and eating a meal I know likely had some PUFA.

If I experience nausea or bad stomach discomfort, I usually take two capsules in between meals and then some cascara at night before bed (to make sure constipation isn't an issue). In my experience, it's pretty harmless and works well, but I only use it when I need it. Sometimes as little as one capsule is sufficient to get a little relief.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals