Severe Hunger And Shakiness

nostalgic

Hey.
The last week I've been getting a much worse hunger accompanied by some very mild dizziness, shakiness, and feeling depressed. I wake up in the middle of the night from the symptoms, but I also get it during the day. It feels like something is wrong with my hormones but I don't know which one. I even feel hungry after I eat until my stomach is full. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
N

nostalgic

What do these macros work out as?
4 Eggs
1.5 quart of Milk
5 ounces of Cheese
1 pint of Orange juice
5 ounces of Meat/Chicken
A couple of Potatoes
Vegetables (only a few)

I do get more than enough calories, I keep gaining weight due to my insane hunger.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

Oh, sorry, I haven't done that and I'm on phone atm so it'd take forever.

It really doesn't take that long and helps you get a baseline understanding of your diet. I have a few ideas, I have experienced this overwhelming hunger and shakiness a few times and resolved it, if I don't have the information on your diet then I don't know if my experiences are relevant. From just looking at it, it looks like you are low in calories.

OP
N

nostalgic

It really doesn't take that long and helps you get a baseline understanding of your diet. I have a few ideas, I have experienced this overwhelming hunger and shakiness a few times and resolved it, if I don't have the information on your diet then I don't know if my experiences are relevant. From just looking at it, it looks like you are low in calories.
Protein: 131
Carbs: 150
Fat: 126

It should say 1.5 quart of milk, and I do eat small amounts of butter that I didn't add etc. I'll make a log tomorrow of everything I eat.

Last edited:

raypeatclips

That seems like a lot of milk to drink, are you thirsty, or are you trying to drink more milk to hit the 2 quarts of milk that Peat has spoken about? I was never satiated drinking that much milk. Your diet looks very very liquid. When I was eating this way, I could never stay hungry for long, and woke up in the night too. More actual foods that fill my stomach and take longer to digest allows me to stay full for much longer, especially through the night. Don't be afraid of actually eating food.

Replacing milk with a cheese you enjoy would be sensible, or simply reducing milk. That milk will provide you 2g calcium a day alone, I have seen haidut say something nearer 1g might be better for people that are struggling with issues, and that more doesn't always equal better. This is my experience too.

Also eating more starch may be something to experiment with, for some reason when I go no starch I have shakiness, "blood sugar" symptoms, despite blood glucose readings fine. Some people just don't do well eating predominantly sugar, whether that may change in their futures or not, who knows. When I tried to get majority of my carbs from sugar it ended disastrously.

Your protein seems very high. At 152 lbs you weigh 68 kg, you're eating 2.8 grams of protein per kilo bodyweight, especially with carbs that low. People have mentioned carbs should be in the ratio 2:1 against protein, so for every gram of protein you eat, 2 grams carbs should be consumed. Of course life isn't this rigid and formulaic, I was just making a point your carbs could be higher, and protein lower.

nbznj

assuming you're eating conventional/factory farming animal products, these are mostly toxic + high in calories but low or imbalanced in nutrients

you gain weight because your body's response to all the food you send is to create adipose cells. If those foods were nutritious you'd grow nails, hair, new cells very fast, improving your sight, sleep, energy, glowing skin etc.

go vegan at the very least 4 days a week, that would be a good start. Think liver detox. Your body has to heal itself. Think nutrition, not calories. Get sprouted grains, fermented foods.

Eat way more vegetables. Real whole fruits. Tubers. You'll save a lot of money not giving it to the big agro corps that poison animals (and you, by way of the sick animals). You can use it for premium animal products, grass fed only, free range only, non pasteurized dairy etc.

I like Ray Peat's work but let's be honest, he probably thinks in the context of an ivory tower where big businesses haven't ruined the foods he recommends. Drinking 2 quarts of Natrel milk and 1 quart of Tropicana OJ and some cheap meat and dairy full of preservatives... that's a disaster

raypeatclips

assuming you're eating conventional/factory farming animal products, these are mostly toxic + high in calories but low or imbalanced in nutrients

you gain weight because your body's response to all the food you send is to create adipose cells. If those foods were nutritious you'd grow nails, hair, new cells very fast, improving your sight, sleep, energy, glowing skin etc.

go vegan at the very least 4 days a week, that would be a good start. Think liver detox. Your body has to heal itself. Think nutrition, not calories. Get sprouted grains, fermented foods.

Eat way more vegetables. Real whole fruits. Tubers. You'll save a lot of money not giving it to the big agro corps that poison animals (and you, by way of the sick animals). You can use it for premium animal products, grass fed only, free range only, non pasteurized dairy etc.

I like Ray Peat's work but let's be honest, he probably thinks in the context of an ivory tower where big businesses haven't ruined the foods he recommends. Drinking 2 quarts of Natrel milk and 1 quart of Tropicana OJ and some cheap meat and dairy full of preservatives... that's a disaster

I have noticed a trait of vegan eating people have a stock answer for everything which is "go vegan" without actually taking into account what the person asking a question is saying.

Why would going vegan help with hunger and shakiness and night time awakenings, which is the centre of the OP's issues?

Also, have you not read Peat's work where he says businesses try to cut costs and have altered foods that previously didn't give him negative reactions, that now do? He said his old orange juice source that used to be fine now causes him so much issues he juices his own. He used to cook some sort of seafood (squid?) that they altered and made him sick for a week. Just because you haven't read something he has said doesn't mean he hasn't said it.

InChristAlone

That seems like a lot of milk to drink, are you thirsty, or are you trying to drink more milk to hit the 2 quarts of milk that Peat has spoken about? I was never satiated drinking that much milk. Your diet looks very very liquid. When I was eating this way, I could never stay hungry for long, and woke up in the night too. More actual foods that fill my stomach and take longer to digest allows me to stay full for much longer, especially through the night. Don't be afraid of actually eating food.

Replacing milk with a cheese you enjoy would be sensible, or simply reducing milk. That milk will provide you 2g calcium a day alone, I have seen haidut say something nearer 1g might be better for people that are struggling with issues, and that more doesn't always equal better. This is my experience too.

Also eating more starch may be something to experiment with, for some reason when I go no starch I have shakiness, "blood sugar" symptoms, despite blood glucose readings fine. Some people just don't do well eating predominantly sugar, whether that may change in their futures or not, who knows. When I tried to get majority of my carbs from sugar it ended disastrously.

Your protein seems very high. At 152 lbs you weigh 68 kg, you're eating 2.8 grams of protein per kilo bodyweight, especially with carbs that low. People have mentioned carbs should be in the ratio 2:1 against protein, so for every gram of protein you eat, 2 grams carbs should be consumed. Of course life isn't this rigid and formulaic, I was just making a point your carbs could be higher, and protein lower.
:+1 for all of this!

OP
N

nostalgic

Haha, no I'm not that thirsty, I really like milk and it's full of nutrients, but I'll reduce it to 1 quart and add some cooked rice and chips instead. I've eaten LCHF before without any problems so I don't see why my current diet would give me those problems (regarding carbs), but I'm not getting any younger.

I assume chips are far from peat friendly, but it's easy to prepare and it's full of carbs. Can't be too bad, right?

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me out.

raypeatclips

Haha, no I'm not that thirsty, I really like milk and it's full of nutrients, but I'll reduce it to 1 quart and add some cooked rice and chips instead. I've eaten LCHF before without any problems so I don't see why my current diet would give me those problems (regarding carbs), but I'm not getting any younger.

I assume chips are far from peat friendly, but it's easy to prepare and it's full of carbs. Can't be too bad, right?

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me out.

If you're not thirsty, definitely don't overdo the liquids. I usually eat a meal now, then drink milk/juice/coffee/water afterwards until I stop being thirsty.

In my experience with low carb, I felt fine for a while and eventually "crashed."

Are your chips cooked in PUFA? (sunflower oil, canola oil, rapeseed oil) It goes against everything Peat advises to eat them. One meal isn't going to be too bad, sure, but if you're suggesting you're going to eat them regularly as a staple then I would rethink that.

OP
N

nostalgic

If you're not thirsty, definitely don't overdo the liquids. I usually eat a meal now, then drink milk/juice/coffee/water afterwards until I stop being thirsty.

In my experience with low carb, I felt fine for a while and eventually "crashed."

Are your chips cooked in PUFA? (sunflower oil, canola oil, rapeseed oil) It goes against everything Peat advises to eat them. One meal isn't going to be too bad, sure, but if you're suggesting you're going to eat them regularly as a staple then I would rethink that.
Sometimes I drink milk just because I love the taste of it, but I guess I should use more reasonable amounts. Unfortunately they're cooked in sunflower oil. What would you recommend as a source of starch apart from eating more potatoes and rice during dinner? Bread is high in tryptophan which peat is against, and I want something that doesn't take too much time to prepare.

raypeatclips

Sometimes I drink milk just because I love the taste of it, but I guess I should use more reasonable amounts. Unfortunately they're cooked in sunflower oil. What would you recommend as a source of starch apart from eating more potatoes and rice during dinner? Bread is high in tryptophan which peat is against, and I want something that doesn't take too much time to prepare.

What's wrong with rice and potatoes? They have been the staples of many countries for vast amounts of time.

Eat any starch that doesn't bother you. Some people on here report much improved health from bread, unfortunately I react badly to it so I wouldn't eat it.

I've never seen tryptophan being talked about in relation to bread before. Cronometer says it has 0.1 per 100 grams, 5 times less than beef per 100 grams.

To save time i cook up a lot of rice and put it in the fridge and reheat at mealtimes and have no issues. Reheating potatoes has affected me negatively. As has too many potatoes. Rice is very neutral and easy going

You will be different.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals