Shampoo For Hair Loss

OP
R

redlight

I can't say 100% if it stopped.... It has seemed to slow down at least enough for me to notice....

I been using Dr Bronners peppermint soap for awhile.

Im going to start taking weekly photos of my scalp to see if i have improvement.

Some days my hair looks good and thicker other days it seems like its thin in some spots

Not to keep on adding in my i get an itchy head a lot

Last edited by a moderator:

Dante

Try using just cold water just as rob says. It worked for me. Though correcting vitamin D and mag deficiency and adequate sunlight might have stopped my hair shedding.

OP
R

redlight

Thanks I may try that since its cold here now i take hot showers and i get no vitamin D

I'm looking into a vitamin D lamp because i can't tolerate vita D supplements.

luke gadget

I'd add taurine (and perhaps caffeine) to any formula going on the scalp, either in the shampoo or as a separate application. It's definitely hair protective and might even stimulate regrowth, and has much prometabolic goodness such as lowers prolactin (which likely contributes to hair improvement).

Here's Haidut's post on it:
Taurine More Effective Than Finasteride For Hair Loss

I've dumped quite a bit of taurine into my Dr. Bronners. I can't say it's done much but my hair doesn't seem to be thinning as fast - but since I never react to anything I'm not a good experimental rat to go by.

TubZy

I talked about this in some other threads but Selsun blue (selenium sulfide) or any Piroctone Olamine shampoo..which outperformed all other popular hair loss ingredient out today should stop or slow down your loss. You just need to leave it on for two cycles of five-ten minutes in the shower. There is a few people on the other forums who stopped there shedding with selsun blue used daily or EOD. There are a few different mechanism which it works by but we think it's due to the inhibition of PGD2.

You could alternate with the selsun with piroctone olamine shampoo to help stimulate growth and thickness. You can also add taurine, niacinamide, aspirin, k2, CoQ10, methylene blue and caffeine to your exisinting shampoo. Just whatever you do make sure you leave it on long enough (10min/10min cycle) or else it won't work as good/get absorbed.

I think it would be cool if @haidut made a custom shampoo or topical for hair with all of the ingredients. It's hard to find good shampoos these days that are not loaded with parabens and allergens. Solban works to an extent but the concentrations seem to low for hair loss purposes but still is good. It kills my scalp itch for most of the day but towards the end of the day it comes back. I made my custom topical and loaded with a gram of taurine, caffeine (500mg) and niacinamide and it worked much much better.

I want to experiment with higher doses of pircotone olamine (more than 1%) but I can't find the raw powder anywhere. Commercial shampoos don't list the exact amount they put in either which sucks.

Day 1: selsun blue
Day 2: piroctone olamine
Day 3: selsun blue
Day 4: pircotone olamine
etc.

That should stop loss and stimulate growth/thickness.

Piroctone Olamine (it is also not anti androgenic like ketoconazole (nizoral) which I used to use for years)

Treatments > The effect of Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine on hair growth

In a study with 150 men who suffer from hereditary hair loss and dandruff, Ketoconazole and Piroctone Olamine were compared*. Excessive secretion of sebum, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis are often linked with hair loss and hereditary hair loss. The 150 men received a shampoo with 1% Ketoconazole or 1% Piroctone Olamine. They had to use this shampoo 2 to 3 times per week for a duration of six months.

All treatments showed a reduction in itching and dandruff after 2 to 6 weeks. If we take a look at the effect of the treatments on various hair growth parameters, we see the following figures (in percentages):

• The severity of hair loss decreases (Ketoconazole: -17.3%, Piroctone Olamine: -16.5%)
  • The percentage of hairs in the growth phase increases (Ketoconazole 4.9%, Piroctone Olamine: 7.9%)
  • The effect on the hair diameter is increased by 5.4% with Ketoconazole and by 7.7% with Piroctone Olamine.
Thus, the study shows that Piroctone Olamine scores better in a number of areas in comparison to Ketoconazole**:
  • Compared to Ketoconazole, Piroctone Olamine ensures an increase in the number of hairs in the growth phase (anagen phase) by more than 10% in 33% of people.
  • Piroctone Olamine gives 88% of the people thicker hair, despite hereditary hair loss, whereby this is 78% with Ketoconazole.
  • If we take a look at how many people experience a significant increase (more than 10%) of the hair diameter, this is 28% with Ketoconazole and as much as 34% with Piroctone Olamine (10% larger diameter means that the hair became 20% heavier).

Last edited:
OP
R

redlight

Do you leave the soap + taurine in your hair before washing it out?/

how much taurine would you put into a 32oz bottle?

TubZy

Do you leave the soap + taurine in your hair before washing it out?/

how much taurine would you put into a 32oz bottle?

I usually put 5 grams of taurine per 200ml bottle or until the shampoo is at full saturation.

200ml = about 7 ounces

Shampoo I just let it sit on my head in the shower for two rinses. Each 10 minutes.

Other topicals, I just use before bed in either an ethanol/water solution. The only downside is the caffeine in the topical before bed can some times keep me up if I dissolve too much in it.

DrJ

Definitely add caffeine. In one of Ray's KMUD interview they talk about baldness and he suggests caffeine. My experience is that you will definitely notice a difference in how your hair looks and feels. It's really easy to make your own shampoo with baking soda and water as the base. Then add other ingredients according to your preference. I add caffeine, taurine, niacinamide, and aspirin.

TubZy

@TubZy which piroctone olamine shampoo do you use?

I use this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015XEE3U

But the PO is kind of far down the list on the ingredients so I'm not sure how much is actually in there which is why I want the raw powder. I mainly use that brand b/c it seems to have the least amount of allergens and be pretty smooth on the scalp. So I can add whatever other ingredients I want to it.

Definitely add caffeine. In one of Ray's KMUD interview they talk about baldness and he suggests caffeine. My experience is that you will definitely notice a difference in how your hair looks and feels. It's really easy to make your own shampoo with baking soda and water as the base. Then add other ingredients according to your preference. I add caffeine, taurine, niacinamide, and aspirin.

Really? Would you mind explaining the amounts of each substance to make a shampoo?

I do notice caffeine effects when I use my ethanol/water solution overnight. Same with niacinamide too. Taurine works pretty well, but leaves acne sometimes around my hair line where I apply it though.

Selsun blue (selenium sulfide) stops my shedding immediately pretty much when used daily or EOD..the only thing I don't like about it, it's that it's more of harsher shampoo with other allergens.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrJ

Really? Would you mind explaining the amounts of each substance to make a shampoo?

Well the basic ratio I use for baking soda to water is 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water by volume (so 25% by volume is baking soda). Then just add the other ingredients according to your feeling :). In the 3oz container I mix mine in, I add 2g caffeine, 2-3g niacinamide, 2-3g taurine, and 2-3g aspirin powder. I would honestly add more caffeine, but since you can't buy it as a powder like the other ingredients, you end up having to take apart a bunch of gelatin capsules and it's annoying.

TubZy

Well the basic ratio I use for baking soda to water is 1 part baking soda to 3 parts water by volume (so 25% by volume is baking soda). Then just add the other ingredients according to your feeling :). In the 3oz container I mix mine in, I add 2g caffeine, 2-3g niacinamide, 2-3g taurine, and 2-3g aspirin powder. I would honestly add more caffeine, but since you can't buy it as a powder like the other ingredients, you end up having to take apart a bunch of gelatin capsules and it's annoying.

Thanks how is skin penetration though without any penetration enhancers? Does the baking soda actually help it absorb well. That is the thing about shampoos, you are only using it for a short period of time compared to topicals like leaving it on overnight, so just want to make sure the stuff in the shampoo actually makes it down into the scalp in that short period of time.

DrJ

@raypeatclips As long as I can! I put it in at the start of the shower and don't rinse until right before I get out. I use it every morning. The things I noticed are that my once oily scalp is no longer oily and gross, it stopped itching, and I stopped getting these little keratosis pilaris type looking things. Plus, my hair was starting to thin at the crown, and that's at least stopped, and may even have reversed slightly, but I will wait a few more months before I say for certain. Basically hair and scalp are all around better from doing this.

@TubZy I don't know if any of that helps it absorb well. I remember Dr. Peat saying that caffeine is poorly soluble in water. But after using SolBan which has several of the same ingredients (caffeine, aspirin, niacinamide), I am convinced that it absorbs because of how good my skin looks after spraying that on. I think the key is to give it enough time to absorb.

sladerunner69

there is a selsun blue that cotnains caffiene. I use it sometimes, and it is highly stimulating. I dont knwo if I could leave it in for 10 minutes as @TubZy recommends...

OP
R

redlight

I understand these shampoos probably create better healthier hair.... But Im guessing there no way they can actually prevent male pattern baldness?

Dante

I understand these shampoos probably create better healthier hair.... But Im guessing there no way they can actually prevent male pattern baldness?
Try no shampoo for 2-3 months(if you have short hair ,dirt shouldn't be a major problem), just try.Being not hypochondriac towards MPB helps a great deal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals