Slippery Slope SUPPLEMENTS

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was posted by @haidut elsewhere…

“Now, one remedy would be to increase the dosage of vitamin D, but I am always wary of "more is better" approaches. One possible downside to higher vitamin D doses is that if the excess is accumulated in fat tissue (as the study suggests), during stressful times a lot of that vitamin D will be released through lipolysis and may lead to temporary hypervitaminosis of D, which may cause kidney issues depending on how severe it is, or it may freak a doctor out if a blood vitamin D test is done around that time and the doctor may order unnecessary/dangerous anti-calcium interventions after seeing such results.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In my teens and twenties, I needed about 8000 calories per day when I was physically active, about 4000 to 5000 when I was sedentary, but after I took thyroid, I needed only about half as many calories. Thyroid is the basic regulator of blood glucose, and it causes it to be fully oxidized for energy, so that it produces ATP efficiently, on relatively few calories. If blood glucose falls, because it's being used very quickly, the body responds with stress hormones, including glucagon, adrenalin, and cortisol. They cause fat and protein to be burned for energy, while in hypothyroidism, glucose can still be used inefficiently for glycolysis, producing lactic acid, displacing bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. This causes mineral imbalances, with effects including cramps and nerve-muscle tension, which produce heat and waste energy. When you first start taking thyroid again, your tissues will need some extra magnesium, during the time when the dose is increasing, and when the mineral balance is restored your temperature and metabolic rate might decrease a little. Orange juice, milk, and coffee are good for the main minerals, while salting your food to taste.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“These findings indicate that sodium bicarbonate in amounts equivalent to one-third of a teaspoonful of baking soda protects the gastric mucosa against aspirin-induced damage and prevents the usual fall in potential difference after aspirin.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Flowers of sulfur (British spelling flowers of sulphur) is a very fine, bright yellow sulfur powder that is produced by sublimation and deposition. It can contain up to 30% of the amorphous allotrope of sulfur, which is the noncrystalline structure of sulfur.”

“MSM is rich in organic sulphur, an important ‘building block’ for healthy bones and joints, and it’s very useful for your immune system. Available evidence from short-term RCTs shows that MSM may have a moderate effect in improving joint pain and swelling as well as general functional wellbeing in people with osteoarthritis. In one trial this effect was greater when MSM was combined with glucosamine.

• Family: Organic sulphur (nutritional mineral)
  • Scientific name: : Methylsulfonylmethane
  • Other names: OptiMSM®
Methylsulfonylmethane is a sulphur (a chemical) found in fresh raw foods including fruits, vegetables and meat. The compound used to treat diseases, MSM, is a white crystalline substance that contains 34% sulphur. “

View: https://youtu.be/6T0oVf2_pwY

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Whether it’s in the mouth (thrush); vagina (vaginosis) or gut (candida), an overgrowth of yeast can be an annoyance or a fairly serious health problem. The good news is that MSM has been shown to reduce Candida overgrowth. When candida multiply out of control in the gut, intestinal inflammation can occur.

The saying goes that the skin is the window to the gut. So by hindering inflammation in the digestive tract, MSM may help reduce skin flare-ups caused by gut dysbiosis (too many harmful bacterial strains and not enough friendly ones).

Candida overgrowth can lead to intestinal diseases such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease).

Besides resisting candida overgrowth, MSM acts like glue, sticking to other harmful substances in the body such as parasites and sending them into the elimination system. When toxic substances are unable to attach themselves to the gut lining, they will be pooped out.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“Why do people drink out of copper mugs?​

Long ago, people in the Far East found that water stored in copper vessels tasted better and kept fresh longer. Scientists discovered that copper has an oligodynamic effect — which means copper can kill bacteria. It also kills viruses, algae, mold, spores, and fungi.

Studies have shown that water stored in a copper vessel for at least four hours acquires a certain quality — because copper leaches into the liquid. Since people today use water purifying systems, many of the healthy micronutrients are removed from their water. Drinking water out of a copper cup replenishes the copper stripped by purifying systems.”

View: https://medium.com/@Rdy2Trvl/copper-cup-benefits-15-reasons-to-safely-drink-copper-473927b51f40#:~:text=Copper%20kills%20bacteria.&text=aureus%20%E2%80%94%20two%20common%20bacteria%20that,diarrhea%20from%20drinking%20bad%20water

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“High doses or prolonged ingestion of even moderate amounts of vitamin A may cause liver damage [12, 13].

Long-term or high doses of niacin (time-release preparations) have led to liver failure or hepatotoxicity in some people. It’s possible that niacin is transformed into NAD, which can damage the liver in excessive amounts [14, 15].

High doses of beta-carotene worsened alcohol-induced liver injury in rats, while lower doses were protective [16].

To sum it up, most vitamins are not harmful in normal doses. Avoid megadoses, especially of niacin and beta-carotene.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The study below is both ground-breaking and scary. Ground-breaking because it demonstrates yet another mysterious and potentially lethal disease - cavernous angioma (CA) - has a very simple explanation - endotoxin / LPS. Scary, because it refers to evidence that emulsifiers widely approved for use in the food industry and even in foods with the "organic" label, can cause the same vascular lesions and brain bleeding that endotoxin / LPS can. One of those emulsifiers - carrageenan - has already been banned as a known carcinogen in some countries. However, the more widely used gums such as acacia, carob bean, gellan, etc are so widely used that one study analyzing commercial food samples found only one that did not contain at least one of those gums in measurable concentrations. No wonder the rates of hemorrhaging stroke, Kawasaki disease and other vascular/bleeding disorders have been increasing for the last 3 decades. This period coincides perfectly with the rapid increase in emulsifier use to make more palatable/marketable the massive number of fat-free products introduced to the public during that timeframe. Another interesting finding is that the study is one of the few that warns against using probiotics to treat the endotoxin / LPS excess and instead recommends an antibiotic course. The study authors are of the opinion that probiotics are much more dangerous than antibiotics and often make the situation worse. This opinion is not an isolated event and echos the findings of another study I posted about last year that plainly states there is no such thing as beneficial gut bacteria and all probiotics should be regulated due to their inherent dangers. Finally, the study authors state that they consider food emulsifier risky enough to recommend their patients avoid them at all cost. At the same time, FDA has certified many of those emulsifiers as "generally recognized as safe" (GRAS) and allows their use in any amount in food preparations sold to the general public. The incompetence (or fraud) on behalf of public health authorities is just astounding!“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Aspirin is an antioxidant that protects against lipid peroxidation, but it also stimulates mitochondrial respiration. It can inhibit abnormal cell division, but promote normal cell division. It can facilitate learning, while preventing excitotoxic nerve injury. It reduces clotting, but it can decrease excessive menstrual bleeding. These, and many other strangely beneficial effects of aspirin, strongly suggest that it is acting on very basic biological processes, in a coherent way.” -Ray Peat

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Swiss cheese is one of the healthiest cheese options available:

Contains more Vitamin B12 than any other cheese à helps with energy & vitality”

“Jarlsberg "is high in vitamin K2, which may improve bone health in addition to calcium and vitamin D." Because of this, Jarlsberg cheese may help to prevent osteoporosis.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Are you getting enough vitamin D? Scientists say that up to 41 percent of American adults don't get sufficient levels of this crucial nutrient — which may raise their risk of heart disease, obesity, depression, diabetes, osteoporosis, and some cancers. Plus, a September 2015 study published in JAMA Neurology found that deficiency in the vitamin was associated with faster decline in certain cognitive functions — like recalling past events and performing mental tasks like reasoning and problem solving — in older adults. So exactly how much vitamin D do you need? The National Institutes of Health recommends that adults between 19 and 70 years old get at least 600 international units (IUs) of vitamin D per day, an amount that may be tough to get from the sun alone. If you think you may be deficient — sleepiness, crankiness, and high blood pressure are all clues that you could be — here are eight ways to start getting more vitamin D from food.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Cooked greens, milk, cheese, and eggs are very good sources of K. The solvents used to extract vitamin K, for example from natto, often cause problems. The present vitamin K culture is the creation of marketing campaigns, and is causing a lot of harm." - Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat

“Can vitamin A be harmful?​

Yes, high intakes of some forms of vitamin A can be harmful.

Getting too much preformed vitamin A (usually from supplements or certain medicines) can cause severe headache, blurred vision, nausea, dizziness, muscle aches, and problems with coordination. In severe cases, getting too much preformed vitamin A can even lead to coma and death.

If you take too much preformed vitamin A while pregnant, it can cause birth defects in your baby, including abnormal eyes, skull, lungs, and heart. If you are or might be pregnant or breastfeeding, you should not take high-dose supplements of preformed vitamin A.

High intakes of beta-carotene do not cause the same problems as preformed vitamin A. Consuming high amounts of beta-carotene can turn the skin yellow-orange, but this condition is harmless and goes away when you eat less of it. However, several studies have shown that smokers, former smokers, and people exposed to asbestos who take high-dose beta-carotene supplements have a higher risk of lung cancer and death.”

spanner

Long-term or high doses of niacin (time-release preparations) have led to liver failure or hepatotoxicity in some people. It’s possible that niacin is transformed into NAD, which can damage the liver in excessive amounts [14, 15].

To sum it up, most vitamins are not harmful in normal doses. Avoid megadoses, especially of niacin ….”

Bull pucky.

ref 15 in no way supports the claims, and ref 14 refers to unspecified “signs” of hepatoxicity but not actual “liver failure” for normal (not time-release) nicotinic acid. The article malfeasantly conflates issues with large doses of time-release and other forms of niacin with simple, original nicotinic acid. There is a very long, recycled history of such malfeasance and incompetence in reporting on niacin. There’s nothing wrong with niacin flushing, it’s one of the benefits. If people want to avoid the “burning hellfire“ version of flushing, it’s well known how to do so: don’t rapidly vary huge dosages, and take it with vitamin C and aspirin.

Consuming extra lecithin is recommended but not necessary for large doses of niacin [not with the niacin, just as part of your diet]. You’ll get plenty anyway if you eat eggs.

There have also been recent comments on the internet about niacin leading to increased blood sugar and thus “pre-diabetes“. What’s never mentioned by them is that niacin is fantastic for blood vessel repair and can reverse serious conditions caused by diabetes' destruction of blood vessels, so the notion of not taking niacin for fear of diabetes is ridiculous.

Read actual expert sources on niacin, backed by decades of clinical experience using it, from Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D.

spanner

From DoctorYourself.com - Niacin Therapy Details , which is an article by Hoffer:

In 1960 I planned to study the effect of nicotinic acid on a large number of aging people living in a sheltered home. A new one had been built. I approached the director of this home, Mr. George Porteous. I arranged to meet him and told him what I would like to do and why. I gave him an outline of its properties, its side effects and why I thought it might be helpful. Mr. Porteous agreed and we started this investigation. A short while after my first contact Mr. Porteous came to my office at University Hospital. He wanted to take nicotinic acid himself, he told me, so that he could discuss the reaction more intelligently with people living in his institution. He wanted to know if it would be safe to do so.

That fall he came again to talk to me and this time he said he wanted to tell me what had happened to him. Then I discovered he had been with the Canadian troops who had sailed to Hong Kong in 1940, had been promptly captured by the Japanese and had survived 44 months in one of their notorious prisoner of war camps.

Twenty-five percent of the Canadian soldiers died in these camps. They suffered from severe malnutrition from starvation and nutrient deficiency. They suffered from beri beri, pellagra, scurvy, infectious diseases, and brutality from the guards.

Porteous, a physical education instructor, had been fit weighing about 190 pounds when he got there. When he returned home he weighed only 2/3rds of that. On the way home in a hospital ship the soldiers were fed and given extra vitamins in the form of rice polishings. There were few vitamins available then in tablets or capsules. He seemingly recovered but had remained very ill. He suffered from both psychological and physical symptoms. He was anxious, fearful and slightly paranoid. Thus, he could never be comfortable sitting in a room unless he sat facing the door. This must have arisen from the fear of the guards. Physically he had severe arthritis. He could not raise his arms above his shoulders. He suffered from heat and cold sensitivity. In the morning he needed his wife's help in getting out of bed and to get started for the day. He had severe insomina. For this he was given barbiturates in the evening and to help awaken him in the morning, he was given amphetamines.

Later I read the growing literature on the Hong Kong veterans and there is no doubt they were severely and permanently damaged. They suffered from a high death rate due to heart disease, crippling arthritis, blindness and a host of other conditions.

Having outlined his background he then told me that two weeks after he started to take nicotinic acid, 1 gram after each meal, he was normal. He was able to raise his arms to their full extension, and he was free of all the symptoms which had plagued him for so long. When I began to prepare my report [20] I obtained his Veterans Administration Chart. It came to me in two cardboard boxes and weighed over ten pounds, but over 95% of it was accumulated before he started on the vitamin. For the ten years after he started on the vitamin there was very little additional material. One could judge the efficacy of the vitamin by weighing the chart paper before and after he started on it. Porteous remained well as long as he stayed on the vitamin until his death when he was Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan. In 1962, after having been well for two years, he went on a holiday to the mountains with his son and he forgot to take his nicotinic acid with him. By the time he returned home almost the entire symptomatology had returned.

Porteous was enthusiastic about nicotinic acid and began to tell all his friends about it. He told his doctor. His doctor cautioned him that he might damage his liver. Porteous replied that if it meant he could stay as well as he was until he died from a liver ailment he would still not go off it. His doctor became an enthusiast as well and within a few years had started over 300 of his patients on the vitamin. He never saw any examples of liver disease from nicotinic acid.

I have treated over 20 prisoners from Japanese camps and from European concentration camps since then with equally good results. I estimated that one year in these camps was equivalent to 4 years of aging, i.e. four years in camp would age a prisoner the equivalent of 16 years of normal living.

George Porteous wanted every prisoner of war from the eastern camps treated as he had been. He was not successful in persuading the Government of Canada that nicotinic acid would be very helpful so he turned to fellow prisoners, both in Canada (Hong Kong Veterans) and to American Ex-Prisoners of War. These American veterans suffered just as much as had the Canadian soldiers since they were treated in exactly the same abysmal way. The ones who started on the vitamin showed the same response. Recently one of these soldiers, a retired officer, wrote to me after being on nicotinic acid 20 years that he felt great, owed it to the vitamin and that when his arteries were examined during a simple operation they were completely normal. He wrote, "About two years ago, I was hit, was bleeding down the neck. The MDs took the opportunity to repair me. They said the arteries under the ears look like they had never been used."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Scientific studies show that red light therapy can protect the skin from the potential damage that sunlight can cause, making it safer to be exposed to sunlight and increasing the production of vitamin D. Red light therapy may also increase the number of cells that produce vitamin D, maximizing the time spent in sunlight.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Methionine restriction, asparagine restriction, glycine therapy, the importance of histamine in promoting cancer, the possibility that B12 is dangerous in excess, etc are all aspects that Peat has mentioned in his articles and we have posted on this blog.”

“"...In 2017, I reported on a provocative study of vitamin B12 supplements, which can prevent anemia in people who don’t get enough through food. In excessive amounts, though, using these supplements was associated with higher rates of lung cancer. Again, this seemed to be by way of a metabolic pathway that fuels the tumor cells. Nutrients or vitamins are not simply good or bad, cancer-causing or cancer-fighting. If a book or blog recommends a single “cancer diet”—or even a supplement that promises to fight cancer—beware. It could end up making things worse. Especially if there is a person on the cover in a white coat with arms folded, and with teeth that look like they have never been used.“

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
@artist said in the thread linked below…

“These days taking vitamin D3 seems to push on some other deficiency I have and make me sicker. However, even before this was the case I felt a bit uneasy about supplementing it. For most people it's probably fine I suppose, but here's what I don't understand: if my ancestors evolved in northern Europe, an environment where (as people love to repeatedly point out) it is IMPOSSIBLE to get enough vitamin D, why do I "need" that much vitamin D? How can it be that everyone in my family tree had a horrific deficiency in a major nutrient, but now in 2022 I have access to global supply chains of lab made vitamin D I can finally correct the problem? We're the first generation in the history of Europe to not be vitamin D deficient? Something is missing here imo.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals