Smoking And Tobacco Use

Pet Peeve

imho the electronic cigarette was a fiasco, it did not feel healthy and the silica wick tasted horrible, but there's this new thing called iqos, which is tobacco but vaped instead of smoked, looks promising

javin

Related question: Is rolling your own cigarettes any better in regards to chemicals?

Travis

The demonization of tobacco is a smokescreen which obscures and downplays the hazards of reckless industrial processes and environmental degradation, framing it conveniently as a problem of individual weakness.
Exactly. The demonization of tobacco was contemporaneous with the fallout of the 1945 atomic bonbs and subsequent nuclear testing. That is not to say that tobacco is completely safe, but its' effects have been greatly exaggerated.

I buy organic tobacco leaves and shred them myself.

mt_dreams

Related question: Is rolling your own cigarettes any better in regards to chemicals?

if it's pure tobacco, then it's a lot better as you will avoid the 2000 or so additives. it will be even better if you can get your hands on organic, as tobacco is one of the highest sprayed crops, and pesticides seem to do more harm via the lungs compared to the stomach.

What's wrong with five cigarettes a day?

if your throat can handle the heat, you can probably get away with it. If I smoked cigarettes, I'd get one of those sticks that hunter thompson would use to cool the smoke a bit.

Travis

Not only are pesticides are huge issue that can be circumvented by buying organic tobacco, but the heavy-metal content can be partially mitigated as well. Non-organic tobacco producers can use inorganic phosphate fertilizers which contain higher amounts of cadmium and lead than organic fertilizers (cowshit).

Virginia: Zn (4.8-108.8), Cu (1.1-68.8), Mn (4.1-897.5), Cd (0.01-3.4), Pb (0.01-10.2);

http://www.agr.uth.gr/labs/soil/pdfs/pdf14.pdf
CONCENTRATION
OF HEAVY METALS IN BURLEY, VIRGINIA AND ORIENTAL TOBACCO LEAVES IN THE THESSALY REGION OF CENTRAL GREECE

X3CyO

If I smoked cigarettes, I'd get one of those sticks that hunter thompson would use to cool the smoke a bit.

Targard is the main brand to use.
Friends dad uses the disposable ones and chain smokes.. only heard him cough once in 8 years.

Never used it before but seems to work decently.

Patches seem to be the way to go; then vaporizing, then eliquid types then snuff/snuss.

Think theres more to tobacco than just nicotine though. Same goes for coffee n caffiene.

michael94

It would be so cool if smoking was healthy. Ahhhh..
Maybe i'll just stop caring and start smoking again. :mrgreen:

Hello. Aside from getting organic tobacco ( or tobacco in the process of certification like Hestia ), one can also brew the tobacco as a tea and apply it topically. This works very well, although it is a bit inconvenient. It can be drunk, also, with the side effect of being very irritating to the digestive system. Be warned that this extraction method can be quite strong you would want to start with like 1/8th of a cigarette when brewing, to test. Tobacco has medicinal properties when used judiciously.

Exactly. The demonization of tobacco was contemporaneous with the fallout of the 1945 atomic bonbs and subsequent nuclear testing. That is not to say that tobacco is completely safe, but its' effects have been greatly exaggerated.

I buy organic tobacco leaves and shred them myself.

That is funny because nuclear "fallout" is a hoax altogether.

Hello. Aside from getting organic tobacco ( or tobacco in the process of certification like Hestia ), one can also brew the tobacco as a tea and apply it topically. This works very well, although it is a bit inconvenient. It can be drunk, also, with the side effect of being very irritating to the digestive system. Be warned that this extraction method can be quite strong you would want to start with like 1/8th of a cigarette when brewing, to test. Tobacco has medicinal properties when used judiciously.
Yeah i sometimes smoke some and when i do it's additive free with quality hemp papers. I can't get organic where i live. I never smoke basic commercial tobacco. Tastes and feels horrible.
The smoking "ritual" is an important part of it for me. :cool

Travis

That is funny because nuclear "fallout" is a hoax altogether.
I have never heard any information along these lines. I was under the impression that radioactive isotopes were indeed cancerous. There is a lot of data on the Bikini Atoll Islanders after Operation Castle Bravo.

There is also the Lucky Dragon fishing boat incident.

michael94

I have never heard any information along these lines. I was under the impression that radioactive isotopes were indeed cancerous. There is a lot of data on the Bikini Atoll Islanders after Operation Castle Bravo.

There is also the Lucky Dragon fishing boat incident.

I do not consider these as evidence for the harmful effects of nuclear radioactivity. You can find the same sorts of photos and more of Hiroshima/Nagasaki "radiation" victims. Of course, neither of those cities were nuked and were simply firebombed like Tokyo, Dresden, etc. Having your face partially melted due to the extreme heat of firebombing raids will certainly look very gruesome. Any residual chronic damage is more easily explained by whatever toxic chemicals/heavy metals may have been present in the bombs.

raypeatclips

I do not consider these as evidence for the harmful effects of nuclear radioactivity. You can find the same sorts of photos and more of Hiroshima/Nagasaki "radiation" victims. Of course, neither of those cities were nuked and were simply firebombed like Tokyo, Dresden, etc. Having your face partially melted due to the extreme heat of firebombing raids will certainly look very gruesome. Any residual chronic damage is more easily explained by whatever toxic chemicals/heavy metals may have been present in the bombs.

Serious question, do you have any sources or evidence that Hiroshima/Nagasaki weren't nuked, or about the nuclear fallout hoax, or is it just a theory of yours?

michael94

Serious question, do you have any sources or evidence that Hiroshima/Nagasaki weren't nuked, or about the nuclear fallout hoax, or is it just a theory of yours?

It is an application of an analysis on the available evidence ( most of which I cannot claim as mine ) and some common sense.

Here are some pictures of the devastation post-bombing.

Hiroshima ( Nuclear Weapon ):

01d0642394.jpg

0f997ad40b.jpg

Tokyo ( Fire-bombing ):

55d739c49d.jpg

Tokyo was also more industrialized at this point in history, meaning less bamboo/wood and more steel reinforced modern buildings.

Mushroom cloud from normal explosives, despite how the nuclear mushroom cloud has become iconic.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/23/wildlife-returns-to-radioactive-wasteland-of-chernobyl/

Travis

OPERATION CASTLE
410201 Summary Report of the Commander
Task Unit 13 Military Effects
Programs 1-9 Pacific Proving Grounds March – May 1954

If it's a hoax it a damn good one.

But to be honest, the pictures of Hiroshima do look fire-bombed.

Have you considered that the early ones were faked to fool and intimidate the Russians, but they actually worked out how to make them in the 50's?

Jsaute21

Thoughts on a decent quality pipe tobacco? Not every day but I assume it is superior to cigarettes and alcohol.

Travis

I just smoke plain organic tobacco.

All commercial pipe blends are usually adulterated with sugar and/or glycerin.

You should try Nat Sherman MCD's. These are very good.

Great cigarette for a casual smoker. I don't know anything about pipe tobacco though.
iu

I had stopped smoking commercial brands over ten years ago and I smoke once every waking hour. These are way better than American Spirits and don't cost much more. This is the best cigarette IMO and I have tried every Nat Sherman variety, a few Dunhill types, half of the American Spirits, about 20 different brands of Indonesian Kreteks. I have a bit of smoking experience but I haven't tried them all.

Jsaute21

Thanks for the feedback. I bought my tobacco at a high quality store, and was ensured that this type was pure tobacco. I smoke out of a pipe, obviously. As a former athlete, i used to chew. No matter what - i think this habit beats that one. I am not an every day guy, but it can be a nice habit occasionally.

Travis

Well, most commercial tobacco is actually sprayed with sugar. This seems to be not well-known. Here is a quote from Pipes Magazine:
First, contrary to legend,most tobaccos that contain Virginia and/or Burley (which is the vast majority of blends) are cased, including some that refer to themselves as "unflavored". This, in essence, can still be true as some casings are as simple as sugared water. Casings are mostly used to lessen the negative qualities of a tobacco. If a Burley has a high pH which can lead to tongue bite, a casing (with or without a flavor) containing some sugar will help to bring the smoke back toward the acidic side, and will reduce the chance of bite. Some Virginias can be harsh or ashy, but with the right casing, that can be mitigated as well. Mostly, though, casings are not used to flavor the tobacco as much as to prepare it for other processing, much as a mild marinade is used to prepare meat for cooking and to tenderize it more than to flavor it.
But I couldn't say for certain since I have never had pipe tobacco, but I thought that commercial pipe tobacco had additives (sugar) almost by default.

You should be able to tell.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals