Starch: The Great Mystery

Starch with meat is basically what my diet is now. I disagree it causes bloating. Many bodybuilders and athletes eat like that too. White rice + turkeybreast, or potatoes + steak is a typical meal for me.

Do you still drink a lot of oj? That would help explain why you respond well. If I were to simply eat beef and rice with nothing else all day I will get very bloated by the end of the day, throw in other things mentioned though and I am fine.

Vinero

Do you still drink a lot of oj? That would help explain why you respond well. If I were to simply eat beef and rice with nothing else all day I will get very bloated by the end of the day, throw in other things mentioned though and I am fine.
No I gave up drinking OJ. I have some coca cola or Pepsi when I'm thirsty, or just plain water.
How does adding OJ explain why I would do well with starch + meat?

No I gave up drinking OJ. I have some coca cola or Pepsi when I'm thirsty, or just plain water.
How does adding OJ explain why I would do well with starch + meat?

So you can go a whole day eating beef and rice, drinking water, nothing else - no supplements, no spices or condiments, or other beverages or foods, and will not feel bloated?

Vinero

So you can go a whole day eating beef and rice, drinking water, nothing else - no supplements, no spices, or other beverages or foods, and will not feel bloated?
I do take some supplements. Zinc, magnesium, vitamin C, b1, b3, coffee, aspirin, taurine.
But other then that I sometimes eat only Rice and Beef and feel fine. I think my digestion has improved actually since cutting out dairy. Milk and cheese make me constipated and milk especially in large amounts causes bloating.

I do take some supplements. Zinc, magnesium, vitamin C, b1, b3, coffee, aspirin, taurine.
But other then that I sometimes eat only Rice and Beef and feel fine. I think my digestion has improved actually since cutting out dairy.

I see. I am usually okay too if I get those things. I have the same results from limiting dairy. The bloat I have seen comes from days where I take no supplements and experiment with various low nutrient macro combinations. I was not trying to see if I could make myself bloated, I was seeing how I felt without supplements and learned incidentally.

I asked about oj, because of the effect I have seen from vitamin c on starch bloat.

Last edited:

Vinero

I see. I am usually okay too if I get those things. I have the same results from limiting dairy. The bloat I have seen comes from days where I take no supplements and experiment with various low nutrient macro combinations.
Maybe the magnesium or taurine helps to keep my digestion in check, that's possible.
I have to experiment cutting out all supplements and just eating starch + meat for a few days to see if it causes bloating or not.

Maybe the magnesium or taurine helps to keep my digestion in check, that's possible.
I have to experiment cutting out all supplements and just eating starch + meat for a few days to see if it causes bloating or not.

If it aint broke don’t fix it!

Peatogenic

lol the similar threads page has shown me that this seems to be a debate that has been going on for quite a while =P

Although I haven't seen anyone talk about adding powdered fructose to starch. Could this be the ultimate solution??? I'm going to experiment with it.

From personal experience, I just ate a starchy, salty meal and my temp shot up to 98.7. Regardless of scientific rationale, if your temps shoot up from a meal, isn't that a good sign?

I always mix fruit with starches. I remember the Rubins recommending this years ago. I've noticed that there is definitely a synergy between the two. I know there have been studies showing how OJ helps digestion of starches.

I've never not eaten starches. Root vegetables are so nutrient dense.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

I always mix fruit with starches. I remember the Rubins recommending this years ago. I've noticed that there is definitely a synergy between the two. I know there have been studies showing how OJ helps digestion of starches.

I agree. I've been eating my boiled starches with the tomato, or my bread with apple juice or grapes. Without the addition of fruit, I feel the depressant effect of the starch, although it does fill my stomach up. Combined with the fruit, my stomach is able to be filled and at the same time I avoid the depressant effect which can occur from just plain starch consumption.

Starch is a suboptimal food choice for suboptimal conditions. Every time I begin to eat starch again, after thinking I need it, i always pay for it. If I were in a starvation situation I’d turn to starch for food, but in our relatively modern context its entirely possible to get by on meat, eggs, fruit, sugar, and vegetables.

Every time I think I need starch, I really just need salt and some veggies. Next time any of y’all have a starch craving, try eating a veggie soup instead and see if it completely goes away.

False. You need starch if you're going to optimally satiate yourself for hours at a time and also have good temperatures, moods, and strength. A diet you follow will result in suboptimal moods and poor energy. The energy states just don't compare, you ignorant naïve ****. Look at the OP's post about starch and its ubiquitous consumption throughout every human time period and every human culture. Stop thinking your all edgy and hip because you think you know it all and have found some secret to health just because you stopped eating starch. I bet you sneak cookies in the middle of the night and then post cringey posts crying about how unique and misunderstood you are with the world you false prophesizing, dime a dozen, weak little snail.

gaze

nothing better then toast on a cold morning. a cold cup of juice and milk alone just doesn’t feel good in the morning, especially in the winter. juice and milk, along with toast and eggs butter and jam is a different story though, maybe even breakfast potatoes. i agree combination is the best. IDK how it’s possible to be starch free tbh.

opson123

I agree. I've been eating my boiled starches with the tomato, or my bread with apple juice or grapes. Without the addition of fruit, I feel the depressant effect of the starch, although it does fill my stomach up. Combined with the fruit, my stomach is able to be filled and at the same time I avoid the depressant effect which can occur from just plain starch consumption.

False. You need starch if you're going to optimally satiate yourself for hours at a time and also have good temperatures, moods, and strength. A diet you follow will result in suboptimal moods and poor energy. The energy states just don't compare, you ignorant naïve ****. Look at the OP's post about starch and its ubiquitous consumption throughout every human time period and every human culture. Stop thinking your all edgy and hip because you think you know it all and have found some secret to health just because you stopped eating starch. I bet you sneak cookies in the middle of the night and then post cringey posts crying about how unique and misunderstood you are with the world you false prophesizing, dime a dozen, weak little snail.
This is hilarious. In before some Walmart Karen demands you're banned for crossing the line and making fun of the poor bloke Runenight201.

lvysaur

we've hit peak peat folks, metabolism so high you argue two positions at once

though if you really think about it, that's what most people already do

Hugh Johnson

My favorite part about that is when he said "but you still need a few hundred grams as either starch or sugar every day.."

People need to realize that Peat is one of the very few people who advocates eating a few hundred grams of carbohydrate daily to meet your sugar needs.
What do people eat then? 400g of carbs is just 1600 kcal, for a young man that is about half the calories needed just to exist. Do people in America eat pure fat?

Mossy

I agree. I've been eating my boiled starches with the tomato, or my bread with apple juice or grapes. Without the addition of fruit, I feel the depressant effect of the starch, although it does fill my stomach up. Combined with the fruit, my stomach is able to be filled and at the same time I avoid the depressant effect which can occur from just plain starch consumption
If I were in a starvation situation I’d turn to starch for food...
Although I haven't seen anyone talk about adding powdered fructose to starch. Could this be the ultimate solution??? I'm going to experiment with it.
I think there is something to this—adding sugar to starch. I’ve been eating a lot more starch (potatoes and flour) due to restricted budget, and the times I add fruit or sugar the side effects seem to be less.

Jam

I think there is something to this—adding sugar to starch. I’ve been eating a lot more starch (potatoes and flour) due to restricted budget, and the times I add fruit or sugar the side effects seem to be less.

This must be why, at least in the traditional Italian-type diet I follow, we always end all meals (which are almost always starch-heavy) with fruit. This is what my parents taught me, and most all Italians with a "normal" (traditional) diet I've met do the same.

Peatogenic

This must be why, at least in the traditional Italian-type diet I follow, we always end all meals (which are almost always starch-heavy) with fruit. This is what my parents taught me, and most all Italians with a "normal" (traditional) diet I've met do the same.

That's really cool info. Don't they also end dinners with espresso?

Jam

That's really cool info. Don't they also end dinners with espresso?

Espresso to end lunch (after the fruit) -- always. It's then up to personal preference whether to do the same at dinner -- I don't, keeps me up a bit too late, but some do.

Last edited:

Herbie

I heard that Peat said something along the lines of source of sugars in the diet can be based on starch and fruit or fruit and cane sugar and add in kale broth of minerals for the latter but if mixing starch and cane sugar then there will be problems but I am not sure why this is and if its to do with intestinal bacteria.

Peat said starch is most fattening and wheat being the most, I guess this is following the glycemic index which is something to consider.

I have found this high liquid diet a challenge from excess urination and feeling stressed from it. Its very hard to get a lot of carbs from liquid and we should remember that Peat was eating 9000 calories and not urinating at all so he is different. I come from under eating my whole life and trying to increase calories and metabolism to be healthier and to feel energetic for life and many people would be like me.

What I find happens is instead of having the high carb to fat ratio, it ends up being even because I eat more fat to get the calories and its from Jersey milk, milk chocolate, adding cream to coffee etc. I know this isn't optimal and the fat should be a bit lower and carbs higher for most Co2 production etc and starch would allow this to be possible.

Mossy

Interesting. And maybe why many cultures—I’m guessing most—eat dessert after dinner.

GreekDemiGod

This is a bit early to tell, but I think low starch makes me feel amazing energy-wise, negative thoughts just disappear, I feel like I'm on a constant dopamine high. However, I have to eat some starch (rice, potatoes) at dinner, otherwise I can't fall asleep. I get high adrenaline from eating only fruits.

Pro's of starch:
  • extra boost in strength in the gym
  • muscle glycogen topped off, muscles look fuller.
  • help immensely with deep sleep
  • great source of calories for those on high caloric intakes.
Cons of starch:
  • perma-bloating
  • mild depression
  • low-energy
  • slow digestion
  • dermatitis

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals