Strange symptoms and aspirin toxicity?

Have you done an iron panel test?

bornamachine

Have you done an iron panel test?

Giraffe

Interactome said:
post 102184 So it's a good thing that my temp and heart rate goes up after I eat fructose? I felt like it was more difficult to fall asleep the times I ate a lot of honey before bed. Maybe I overdid it.
Your T3 is going up. That is what food should do. Maybe you don't want too much of it before bed. :)

They discussed it in that radio interview: Hashimoto’s, Antibodies, Temperature and Pulse KMUD, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

Interactome

Giraffe said:
post 102146 How much protein are you getting and from what food sources? Ray Peat recommends at least 80 g high qualitity protein. Some need more.

What is your digestion like? Bloating, gases, diarrhea/constipation...? You can use eggshell powder to supplement calcium if you want to check if cutting out (or limiting) dairy for while helps.

Try to eat regularly. Don't skip meals. Have breakfast within half an hour or an hour after getting up in the morning. Regarding endotoxins... Ray Peat recommends eating a shredded carrot (or carrot salat - search the forum) before bed.

I would try magnesium again.There are threads here on magnesium bicarbonate (see here and here). Some of us combine topical magnesium (as epsom salt bath or magnesium oil) with magnesium bicarbonate.

Overall it sounds like you are stressed and tense; magnesium, calcium, adequate protein, eating regularly and the carrot might make a huge difference. That your temps and pulse raise after eating fruit deems a good sign to me. Have you tried to combine fruit/honey with some saturated fat (stomach empties slower, antiseptic)?

I'll try a carrot salad in the morning and a bamboo salad in the evening after dinner.

I'll look into some the Mg threads to see what the Mg bicarbonate is about. I've got three brands: Trance-Minerals Mega-Mag, Mg Glycinate, and Calcium Magnesium Carbonate. I also have a spray and some epsom salt that I haven't used.

So fruit/honey with sat fat is antiseptic? Or is it the coconut oil?

I've noticed that many of the Ray Peat foods are high in salicylates (OJ/fruit, coconut). I'd like to figure out somehow if I'm sensitive to that.

I'm not sure, but I think I noticed once (before the aspirin incident) that I slept better after eating rice but worse after eating ice cream/fruit/sugar/honey. It's like rice knocks me out whereas the fast carbs (even the ice cream) make me more agitated.

OP
I

Interactome

Giraffe said:
post 102237
Interactome said:
post 102184 So it's a good thing that my temp and heart rate goes up after I eat fructose? I felt like it was more difficult to fall asleep the times I ate a lot of honey before bed. Maybe I overdid it.
Your T3 is going up. That is what food should do. Maybe you don't want too much of it before bed. :)

They discussed it in that radio interview: Hashimoto’s, Antibodies, Temperature and Pulse KMUD, 2013

Ok, I'll listen to it now before attempting sleep. I might learn something :geek: :)

OP
I

Interactome

bornamachine said:
post 102220 Have you done an iron panel test?

Some iron related tests have been taken, but it was while I was fasting a lot and taking 5g of vit C. So I'm not sure if any of that messed something up.

Ferritin: 138 (12-300)
Hemoglobin: 9.2 (8.3-10.5)
MCH: 1.9 (1.7-2.1)
MCHC: 22.6 (19.7-22.2) <-- Does this mean something?

tara

Blossom said:
post 102157 In addition to the other replies I will add that since you were hospitalized due to an abnormal CK and EKG you *could* have some minor heart muscle damage. Please ask your doctor about what he/she feels the test results mean. If that's the case I don't think restricting carbs is going to solve anything. When your body is trying to heal you do not want it to be forced to breakdown further muscle for gluconeogenisis. I would also think any adverse reactions you may have had to aspirin should be resolved after two weeks of not taking it.

This makes good sense to me.

Interactome said:
post 102095 A cardiologist has done an ultrasound of my heart and found a thickening of one of the valves, and slight insufficiency, which I'm waiting to talk to them about again in a week (due to bacteria?).

If your problems stem from your heart not pumping effectively because stenosis or some other deformation of the aortic valve prevents it closing fully, then this could be a key cause of your distress. It can reduce blood supply to the rest of the body, leave you with fluid collecting in the lungs messing with your breathing, etc. If this is the root cause, I don't know if you can correct it with diet etc, although it wouldn't surprise me if diet can affect how well you handle it.

Interactome said:
post 102185 I'm waiting for the cardio appointment next week to see what they say.

:)

Interactome said:
post 102185 I also just found that I have some gum problems and carries according to the dentist (which I don't really feel). I think my period of low carbing has made me ignorant towards my teeth health and after I switched suddenly to high carb they started going bad.

If you have a thickened aortic valve, I think it is especially important to attend to oral/dental health. Some of the bacteria that hang out in oral infections also like to attach to the heart, which can have severe consequences. Make sure you let your dentist know about the heart valve. I think it is common for people with heart trouble to be advised to take antibiotics before any dentistry that could push bacteria into the system - including cleaning by dentist/oral hygeinist.

I know people who have had trouble with stenosis of the aortic valve. Two of them had the valve replaced - major surgery, with associated risks, but worth it in their cases. I don't think they would have done the surgery if they were doing OK with the vlave as it was. One of them got an infection on the valve (before it was replaced), and is lucky to be alive (yay for our local hospital, again).

Hope I haven't unduly scared you. :)

OP
I

Interactome

tara said:
Blossom said:
post 102157 In addition to the other replies I will add that since you were hospitalized due to an abnormal CK and EKG you *could* have some minor heart muscle damage. Please ask your doctor about what he/she feels the test results mean. If that's the case I don't think restricting carbs is going to solve anything. When your body is trying to heal you do not want it to be forced to breakdown further muscle for gluconeogenisis. I would also think any adverse reactions you may have had to aspirin should be resolved after two weeks of not taking it.

This makes good sense to me.

Interactome said:
post 102095 A cardiologist has done an ultrasound of my heart and found a thickening of one of the valves, and slight insufficiency, which I'm waiting to talk to them about again in a week (due to bacteria?).

If your problems stem from your heart not pumping effectively because stenosis or some other deformation of the aortic valve prevents it closing fully, then this could be a key cause of your distress. It can reduce blood supply to the rest of the body, leave you with fluid collecting in the lungs messing with your breathing, etc. If this is the root cause, I don't know if you can correct it with diet etc, although it wouldn't surprise me if diet can affect how well you handle it.

Interactome said:
post 102185 I'm waiting for the cardio appointment next week to see what they say.

:)

Interactome said:
post 102185 I also just found that I have some gum problems and carries according to the dentist (which I don't really feel). I think my period of low carbing has made me ignorant towards my teeth health and after I switched suddenly to high carb they started going bad.

If you have a thickened aortic valve, I think it is especially important to attend to oral/dental health. Some of the bacteria that hang out in oral infections also like to attach to the heart, which can have severe consequences. Make sure you let your dentist know about the heart valve. I think it is common for people with heart trouble to be advised to take antibiotics before any dentistry that could push bacteria into the system - including cleaning by dentist/oral hygeinist.

I know people who have had trouble with stenosis of the aortic valve. Two of them had the valve replaced - major surgery, with associated risks, but worth it in their cases. I don't think they would have done the surgery if they were doing OK with the vlave as it was. One of them got an infection on the valve (before it was replaced), and is lucky to be alive (yay for our local hospital, again).

Hope I haven't unduly scared you. :)

Scared and scared ... I've been scared on and off for a while now going from one hypothetical theory to the next making my doc think I'm insane.

3 months ago my final heart diagnosis at the hospital was "bicuspid aortic heart valve". Then after 3 weeks on the aspirin all hell broke loose :) causing me to run frantically to the emergency 3 times saying that something is wrong but apparently they kept referring to the "bicuspid" theory. I then went to 4 private cardiologists. The last one only could see that I did not have any bicuspid valve, but that one of the leaflets of the aortic valve looked slightly thickened on the edges. I immediately said "scar tissue due to a bacterial infection?" and went to a dentist the very next day. My doc just won't give me any antibiotics before the cardio says so, and the dentist wants my doc to do it. So I'm still waiting to have something done to the teeth. But now I'm flushing my mouth after meals.

Lets see if I get lucky. If it is the case, then I think I must have had some lazy hypo-bugs that went hyper once I switched their menu to a more Peaty one. My low carbing must have been keeping them comatose and the aspirin triggered something in the system that made the underlying weakness more apparent...

tara

Interactome said:
post 102296 bicuspid aortic heart valve
My understand is that having a bicuspid aortic valve is a minority variant that many people live with happily with no trouble, but that it is a bit more prone to getting stiff and under-functioning than the more common (tricuspid?) variant, and therefore more prone to picking up an infection, too.

I don't know how accurately they can see the difference from scans, esp. when something is a bit out of shape. But either way, it seems like there is something amiss there.

Interactome said:
post 102296 I immediately said "scar tissue due to a bacterial infection?" and went to a dentist the very next day. My doc just won't give me any antibiotics before the cardio says so, and the dentist wants my doc to do it. So I'm still waiting to have something done to the teeth.
Hopefully the cardiologist next week will prescribe antibiotics so you can get your teeth attended to. :)

Interactome said:
post 102296 Lets see if I get lucky. If it is the case, then I think I must have had some lazy hypo-bugs that went hyper once I switched their menu to a more Peaty one. My low carbing must have been keeping them comatose and the aspirin triggered something in the system that made the underlying weakness more apparent...

I think if there is deformity of the valve it can under-perform, and if it is under-performing too much that can make you unwell even without any additional infection. If there is an infection there too, it can sometimes become a critical problem quite quickly.
So maybe your change in diet etc had an effect, or maybe it has just gradually worsened over time till it got over a more noticable threshold, or maybe there is just a chance infection recently.

All speculation, of course - there could be other things going on too.

Hopefully the cardiologist can give you an idea of what s/he thinks is going on, and what to do about it.

Sea

Sounds like you need a lot more salt. When your metabolism slows down you need more salt than normal. Since your blood pressure goes down after salty meat you already have a big clue here. Salt can also help a lot with the digestion of sugar, at least when you are already deficient in salt. I recommend going up to around 5 teaspoons/day or more and seeing if you feel better. If the salt starts to taste bad then you know you have enough.

Also low carb causes a lot of damage, so I would try to find some carbs you can tolerate and eat as many as you can.

OP
I

Interactome

@tara
I'll wait for the appointment an see. My valve is tricuspid with a 5mm thickening of one of the leaflets, but the cardio did say that it could be from some infection I've had when I was younger. They might do a transesophageal echocardiogram to make sure. I'll also get some antibiotics so I can go to the dentist next week.

@Sea
I'll try upping my salt and see what happens. Maybe have a bit of rice in the evening in addition to the carbs I get from milk.

@yomama
I've noticed some occasional bruising in my palms/fingers a few times if I put pressure on them. Perhaps the vit E, baby aspirin + ginger/garlic/cayenne that I was consuming might have led to bleeding. If it happens in my palms, maybe it happens internally as well and could be the reason for the extreme dizziness I've been experiencing lately. Maybe I should have worried about the opposite of clotting...

Giraffe

Interactome said:
post 102242 So fruit/honey with sat fat is antiseptic? Or is it the coconut oil?
Starches can feed bacteria, saturated fat (coconut oil or butter) will suppress bacterial growth somewhat.

You sound like you are getting a little hyper from fruits/honey, and you feel uncomfortable with it. I think that adding fat can take the edge of it as the fat slows down stomach evacuation.

If you combine fruits with say eggs or dairy, the proteins are allowed to be used constructively, rather than being converted into energy.

Also if you eat a meal high in phosphate (grains, meat) it is better to add something high in calcium. Calcium binds phosphate (less is absorpted) and it blocks the breakdown of soluble or indigestible fiber that phospate would trigger.
Serotonin, Endotoxins, Stress, KMUD Herb Doctors, 2011

Interactome said:
post 102242 I've noticed that many of the Ray Peat foods are high in salicylates (OJ/fruit, coconut). I'd like to figure out somehow if I'm sensitive to that.
A couple of people here have difficulties to build up tolerance to aspirin. Aspirin causes GI stress for some, glycine or baking soda can help with that. Some use aspirin topical.

I use small amounts (80-100 mg) for the bloodthinning effect. I alternate aspirin with vitamin E.

Also check this post 18477 post.

Interactome said:
post 102242 I'm not sure, but I think I noticed once (before the aspirin incident) that I slept better after eating rice but worse after eating ice cream/fruit/sugar/honey. It's like rice knocks me out whereas the fast carbs (even the ice cream) make me more agitated.
Same here. Starch makes me sleepy. Plus I crave sweets or fruits afterwards, it seems that I need the fructose.

OP
I

Interactome

I saw this here on the site on vit E:

burtlancast said:
post 19218 It's perfectly safe to take 800IU per day of NATURAL alpha tocopherols.
People have been taking up to 4000 IU and even more to solve many different health problems.

The Shute brothers have detailed their 30 year experience with vit E in 5 books.
The only exception is people who contracted rheumatic fever when young and damaged their cardiac valves. Those cannot take more than 150 IU per day.

When one takes more than 400 IU, he needs to monitor their blood pressure, as it can increase temporarly. If this happens, one can use any treatment to lower blood pressure and wait 1 month or 2 for the body to normalise to the increased output of the cardiac muscle.

Vit E is perfectly safe if non synthetic. The pharma industry is yet again trying to demonise vitamins, exactly like it attempted with vit C.

Does anyone know why vit E would increase blood pressure? I should also figure out if I've had rheumatic fever when I was younger.

OP
I

Interactome

Giraffe said:
post 102330
Interactome said:
post 102324 Does anyone know why vit E would increase blood pressure?
Serotonin might be the link post 90550.

If you have not done yet, you might want to read these articles:
Tryptophan, serotonin, and aging
Gelatin, stress, longevity

So much to learn :) I'll get to reading it in more depth later.
I'll probably end up killing myself from some vitamin/supplement overdose. I'm on my second day with no supplements. Maybe I should add back the 45mcg K2 a few times a week.

Confusing interconnections and slightly contradictory, unless it's about the net effect. So E raises serotonin and lowers Na, cortisol and adrenaline. And serotonin raises cortisol and aldosterone, which in turn keeps Na in but lowers K... Someone should write a program that can help one with reasoning about all this :)

tara

I used to get lots of bruising very easily. Now I seem to have much less. My hunch is the vit-K made a difference, but it could have been various other things I changed instead or as well.

Interactome said:
post 102336 Confusing interconnections and slightly contradictory, unless it's about the net effect. So E raises serotonin and lowers Na, cortisol and adrenaline. And serotonin raises cortisol and aldosterone, which in turn keeps Na in but lowers K... Someone should write a program that can help one with reasoning about all this :)
Yes please. :)

Giraffe

Interactome said:
post 102336 So much to learn :) I'll get to reading it in more depth later.
I'll probably end up killing myself from some vitamin/supplement overdose. I'm on my second day with no supplements. Maybe I should add back the 45mcg K2 a few times a week.
Confusing interconnections and slightly contradictory, unless it's about the net effect. So E raises serotonin and lowers Na, cortisol and adrenaline. And serotonin raises cortisol and aldosterone, which in turn keeps Na in but lowers K... Someone should write a program that can help one with reasoning about all this :)

Peat would not recommend supplementing vitamin E if the net effect was not positive. Some studies use very high doses, much higher than the ones Peat recommends.

If I were you I would supplement vitamin E (400 IU) once or twice a week. I would also supplement some vitamin K2 daily (not sure how much - probably 1-5 mg). Is "mcg" a typo? I would make sure that I get 2,000 mg calcium, eat some liver (mainly for vitamin A) and get vitamin D from sun or light therapy. I personally need a lot of magnesium. When I apply it topically on a tense muscles I can feel the effect within minutes. (Hint: thinking about your calf's pain)

I like the systematic way you approach your health questions now. :)

Edit: I mean K2 in the MK-4 form.

OP
I

Interactome

tara said:
post 102344 I used to get lots of bruising very easily. Now I seem to have much less. My hunch is the vit-K made a difference, but it could have been various other things I changed instead or as well.

Interactome said:
post 102336 Confusing interconnections and slightly contradictory, unless it's about the net effect. So E raises serotonin and lowers Na, cortisol and adrenaline. And serotonin raises cortisol and aldosterone, which in turn keeps Na in but lowers K... Someone should write a program that can help one with reasoning about all this :)

Just found something. Could it be due to internal bleeding? High ammonia, easy bruising, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Now some pain in the spleen area. How do I stop this? Vit K?

OP
I

Interactome

Giraffe said:
post 102345
Interactome said:
post 102336 So much to learn :) I'll get to reading it in more depth later.

Peat would not recommend supplementing vitamin E if the net effect was not positive. Some studies use very high doses, much higher than the ones Peat recommends.

If I were you I would supplement vitamin E (400 IU) once or twice a week. I would also supplement some vitamin K2 daily (not sure how much - probably 1-5 mg). Is "mcg" a typo? I would make sure that I get 2,000 mg calcium, eat some liver (mainly for vitamin A) and get vitamin D from sun or light therapy. I personally need a lot of magnesium. When I apply it topically on a tense muscles I can feel the effect within minutes. (Hint: thinking about your calf's pain)

I like the systematic way you approach your health questions now. :)

Edit: I mean K2 in the MK-4 form.

Ok, thanks. I've backed off the E 2 days ago. I'll see later how I introduce it if at all.

I have MK-7 45 mcg. I also bought the LifeExtension Super K, which I haven't really taken yet. I just took one now in case of the internal bleeding theory. I hope I won't hypercoagulate :)

bornamachine

Interactome said:
post 102346
tara said:
post 102344 I used to get lots of bruising very easily. Now I seem to have much less. My hunch is the vit-K made a difference, but it could have been various other things I changed instead or as well.

Interactome said:

Just found something. Could it be due to internal bleeding? High ammonia, easy bruising, dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Now some pain in the spleen area. How do I stop this? Vit K?

Interactome, could you please describe in more detail what you mean and a link perhaps? Thanks!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals