The Conversion Of Testosterone To DHT Is IGF-1 Dependent

Expression of the insulin-like growth factor (IGF) system and steroidogenic enzymes in canine testis tumors
"Since the conversion of testosterone in DHT is IGF-1 dependent [20]. The reduction of 5α-reductase expression in Sertoli cell tumors could be a result of the lower IGF-1 expression. In human skin fibroblasts an increase in IGF-I levels has been shown to cause a rise in 5α-reductase activity"

Decrease of Insulin Growth Factor-1 as a Novel Mechanism for Anti-Androgen Effect of Isotretinoin and Its Reported Association With Depression in Some Cases: Scientific, Peer-Reviewed Dermatology Article Indexed with MEDLINE/PubMed
"androgen significantly stimulates the proliferation of outer root sheath cells that are co-cultured with beard dermal papilla cells without cell contact. The expression of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) mRNA in beard dermal papilla cells was stimulated by androgen"

So if you want a great beard, IGF-1 is very important to produce DHT and then DHT also increases IGF-1mRNA in that area, thus promoting growth.
I've noted a synergistic effect on beard growth with milk and androsterone.
Do you find your beard growing faster with raw milk vs store bought milk?

Waremu

I know you didn't ask me but raw milk did for me for sure darkness density and rate of growth

Funny how you guys and @Hans have this experience. Same experience here as well. Also my head hair is darker. I had a few grey hairs that have darkened, as weird as that sounds. Can't explain how or why, but it seems to happen only when I am very strict Peat (no starch, very low PUFA, high calcium/milk, etc).

abruzzi

Every time I get on this website I only get confused, LOL.

Doesn't Collagen protein powder increase IGF-1?

Is there a way to know if one is increasing IGF-1 levels too much?

For example, I was thinking about buying a collagen product that says in the description it has bioactive growth factors including IGF-1, transforming growth factor-B1 and cartilage derived growth factor)

I cannot determine is this is a good or bad thing, which is why I'm on this thread.

SamYo123

Quite a few things increase IGF-1, such as vitamin D, magnesium, zinc, vit A, calcium, selenium, copper, potassium, vit C, DHEA, taurine, eggs, etc.
And what about sugar?

Sugar spikes IGF-1. IGF-1 activates SREBP-1. SREBP-1 increases viscosity of sebum leading to the oily skin you’re experiencing.

Nothing to do with SIBO.

IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

@Travis has talked about it in more detail. "

OP
Hans

Hans

Forum Supporter
And what about sugar?

Sugar spikes IGF-1. IGF-1 activates SREBP-1. SREBP-1 increases viscosity of sebum leading to the oily skin you’re experiencing.

Nothing to do with SIBO.

IGF-1 induces SREBP-1 expression and lipogenesis in SEB-1 sebocytes via activation of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. - PubMed - NCBI

@Travis has talked about it in more detail. "
Oily skin is not a bad thing. Getting acne is. I don't get acne despite having an oily skin. Many people get acne even with a dry skin. Boosting IGF-1 does increase sebum but it doesn't mean you'll get acne. This is where gut issues come in.

Despite eating sugar constantly, I've varied between dry and oily skin on my journey to recovery. I've actually found that when I get gut issues, my skin gets a little drier and at least mixed type.

Oily skin is not a bad thing. Getting acne is. I don't get acne despite having an oily skin. Many people get acne even with a dry skin. Boosting IGF-1 does increase sebum but it doesn't mean you'll get acne. This is where gut issues come in.

Despite eating sugar constantly, I've varied between dry and oily skin on my journey to recovery. I've actually found that when I get gut issues, my skin gets a little drier and at least mixed type.
100% agree. I had adequate production of test, dht and igf-1 as a teen because my skin was oily with pimples every now and then but they were benign. Not to mention I was full of boundless energy until I took accutane which made my lips so dry I couldn’t open them wide enough to eat food at times. This lasted for about a year after I got off “treatment”. Not to mention all the other side effects.

Last edited:

SamYo123

Am I having gut issues if i had have good bowl movements but lots of gas? with oats

Or I can eat alot of sugar, get constipated but have no gas

Brandin

Both DHT and IGF-1 is involved in beard growth, but the limiting factor might be DHT. Because DHT increases IGF-1 mRNA, so with low DHT you might still have a patchy beard. That is why I notice a synergistic effect between milk and andro. Even if IGF-1 is high it might not give you a good beard if DHT is low. Hair growth is also dependent on the metabolism. My hair getting thicker and softer and grows a bit faster when my metabolism is good, and thin and frizzy when it's slow.
Beard is for me about
dht,male hormones, estrogen and nitric oxide. The higher NO one has the less of the hormones are needed for beard

Dht will especially increase beard above mouthcorner and up (above middle of cheeks). Dht will still increase beard growth in whole face but not asmuch under chin as on cheeks.

Testosterone increases beard on chin, jaw, sideburns and around mouth.

Estrogen increases beard growth on the neck, sideburn are aslong as nitric oxide is high enough and testosterone still somewhat exists. Dont know how high the testosterone would have to be but probably as little as in the 100 range.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals