Thoughts on Endoscopy Procedure

x3britt45

Ever since I had an endoscopy, I can now feel and hear the liquids going into my stomach. Even when I swallow my saliva, I can feel the LES open and go into the stomach. I am wondering if it's possible that they had damaged something. I have only noticed symptoms about a month after the procedure, which the only thing they found was gastritis. I don't notice it with foods, just liquids, like its being squeezed through a tiny valve. Also, when I drink a liquid, it goes to the bottom of esophagus, and then I hear it release and its like glug glug into the stomach, and anybody nearby would be able to also hear it. I also have a lot of belching, but the belching was prior to the procedure in March. I did not want to do this but was struggling with health issues and lost weight so wanted to get checked out to be sure.

Curious does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

frannybananny

Ever since I had an endoscopy, I can now feel and hear the liquids going into my stomach. Even when I swallow my saliva, I can feel the LES open and go into the stomach. I am wondering if it's possible that they had damaged something. I have only noticed symptoms about a month after the procedure, which the only thing they found was gastritis. I don't notice it with foods, just liquids, like its being squeezed through a tiny valve. Also, when I drink a liquid, it goes to the bottom of esophagus, and then I hear it release and its like glug glug into the stomach, and anybody nearby would be able to also hear it. I also have a lot of belching, but the belching was prior to the procedure in March. I did not want to do this but was struggling with health issues and lost weight so wanted to get checked out to be sure.

Curious does anyone else have any thoughts on this?
I'm supposed to get an endoscopy soon and now I'm nervous! Do you have any pain after the procedure? I've had an endo before and did not have any of the issues that you are mentioning. what is the LES?

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Yikes! Oh, that's just great. I'm starting to think I will just decline the endoscopy.
I can’t speak for everyone else but I’ve had 2 endoscopies in the last 4 years and the only side effect I had from either of them was a minor sore throat for one day. I suffer from chronic reflux and was happy to have the endoscopies done to check for internal damage.

OP
X

x3britt45

I can’t speak for everyone else but I’ve had 2 endoscopies in the last 4 years and the only side effect I had from either of them was a minor sore throat for one day. I suffer from chronic reflux and was happy to have the endoscopies done to check for internal damage.
I guess if you have problems and need answers sometimes you just have to. Did they find anything with yours?

haidut

Forum Supporter

Suppose they did find some damage. What would have been the treatment? There is none. There is nothing GI medicine can offer except "watchful waiting" - i.e. regular endoscopies - until you get a serious side effect from the procedures or something nasty develops and then they bring out the big guns (radiation, chemo, surgery). So, in my humble opinion, in the absence of serious symptoms (e.g. black stool, constant pain, etc) the only thing GI medicine will give you is a PTSD/anxiety.
@frannybananny

P

Peatress

Suppose they did find some damage. What would have been the treatment? There is none. There is nothing GI medicine can offer except "watchful waiting" - i.e. regular endoscopies - until you get a serious side effect from the procedures or something nasty develops and then they bring out the big guns (radiation, chemo, surgery). So, in my humble opinion, in the absence of serious symptoms (e.g. black stool, constant pain, etc) the only thing GI medicine will give you is a PTSD/anxiety.
@frannybananny
100% agree with this - I would even go further. Even if I had black stool I would not agree to have this procedure done again.

David PS

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
@frannybananny
This makes a lot of sense! I will refuse them in the future. Thanks

frannybananny

Thanks for that Jkbp.

frannybananny

@frannybananny
I had an endoscopy several years ago, maybe 7, and what they found was a part of my stomach lining that had a strange "thickening" as they said. Well, they biopsy it right then and there and send a snippet to the lab. It was benign and that is good to know and they can see what it is right then and there. I guess that would be the only advantage.

OP
X

x3britt45

@frannybananny
Do you have any suggestions for healing the sphincters and vagus nerve?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you have any suggestions for healing the sphincters and vagus nerve?
Progesterone and glycine/gelatin seem to be good options to try first. In general, anything consisting of mostly muscle tissue (such as sphincters, and not just in the esophagus) would get weaker with age due to increasing catabolic/anabolic ratio of steroids (e.g. cortisol/DHEA in both sexes, cortisol/testosterone in males, progesterone/estrogens in females, etc). Progesterone is a cortisol antagonist both at the receptor level and enzymatically (-11b-HSD1, +11b-HSD2), so when used consistently it can negate the muscle weakening (and atrophying) effects of cortisol. Glycine has a similar effect, but more along the lines of inhibiting inflammation, though it can directly lower/oppose excess cortisol as well.

OP
X

x3britt45

100% agree with this - I would even go further. Even if I had black stool I would not agree to have this procedure done again.
Have you had any issues with the procedures? Or you just would choose not doing it again from what you know. I’m on the same board

OP
X

x3britt45

Progesterone and glycine/gelatin seem to be good options to try first. In general, anything consisting of mostly muscle tissue (such as sphincters, and not just in the esophagus) would get weaker with age due to increasing catabolic/anabolic ratio of steroids (e.g. cortisol/DHEA in both sexes, cortisol/testosterone in males, progesterone/estrogens in females, etc). Progesterone is a cortisol antagonist both at the receptor level and enzymatically (-11b-HSD1, +11b-HSD2), so when used consistently it can negate the muscle weakening (and atrophying) effects of cortisol. Glycine has a similar effect, but more along the lines of inhibiting inflammation, though it can directly lower/oppose excess cortisol as well.
Thank you for the suggestions. 🙏

P

Peatress

Have you had any issues with the procedures? Or you just would choose not doing it again from what you know. I’m on the same board
It was a while ago so I can't really say. Put it this way, if I were in good health I would say it was harmless to me. However, I am not. I can't blame the procedure, I blame my stupidity.

OP
X

x3britt45

It was a while ago so I can't really say. Put it this way, if I were in good health I would say it was harmless to me. However, I am not. I can't blame the procedure, I blame my stupidity.
I understand, and feel the same way

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals