Thread of better quality food options (UK)

SuperStressed

Does anyone use Biona Organic Coconut Cuisine Odourless?
I always assumed it was refined but now im not too sure, its just steamed. not sure that is the full refinement Ray Peat meant.

This odour-free oil is made by lightly steaming organic coconut oil to remove its distinctive flavour and aroma

51bNQizVyJL._AC_SX522_.jpg

purple pill

Not the most peaty i know...but picked up a mince round today, it wasnt direct from the local butchers it was from a nearby petrol station that has a fridge of a local butchers meats so they need to list ingredients anyway... feckin margarine is the second listed ingredient... what the hell, butchers are swimming in lard and beef dripping and they use this garbage 🙄🙄 Just thought id drop this in here incase anyone else was under the impression that an occasional mince round or steak pie from the butchers was low pufa, better to ask i guess

Attachments

• IMG_20230506_162430.jpg
    IMG_20230506_162430.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 15

Happycat

I always assumed it was refined but now im not too sure, its just steamed. not sure that is the full refinement Ray Peat meant.

This odour-free oil is made by lightly steaming organic coconut oil to remove its distinctive flavour and aroma

Yes I've used it.
Not sure if it is just deodorised or refined, it was ok for cooking and baking, but I prefer the full flavored one.

Happycat

Not the most peaty i know...but picked up a mince round today, it wasnt direct from the local butchers it was from a nearby petrol station that has a fridge of a local butchers meats so they need to list ingredients anyway... feckin margarine is the second listed ingredient... what the hell, butchers are swimming in lard and beef dripping and they use this garbage 🙄🙄 Just thought id drop this in here incase anyone else was under the impression that an occasional mince round or steak pie from the butchers was low pufa, better to ask i guess

They put margarine and vegetable oils in all the pastry these days, even some croissants which should be made with butter. You just have to read labels all the time, its terrible.

Honeycomb

I haven’t tried it yet but I bought the same recently from TK Maxx. I often have a look at their food section, mainly for coconut oil or olive oil. It was only £2.99.

I think I am going to use one of these two easy-looking recipes once I have found some good ideas for fillings.

What are you planning to fill your tortillas with? I think I will start with something simple like chicken or beef, cheese and tomatoes. I want it to be a hit with the kids!

GodsHound

640x640.jpg

Sainsburys do sourdough bagels claimed as 'proved for 16 hours'. Ray has said that the problem with commercial bread is the short proving/ levening time given to the dough, and that bread that has been properly levened is a suitable food as the process gives time for the gluten to hydrate and break down into more digestable proteins. There is still added iron though.

Hidden49

Yeah it’s good, The Vita Coco organic virgin one is good for me too even though it’s not refined.

P

Peatress

If you couldn’t get access to organic meat would you eat non-organic?

I need a source for organic oxtail or neck of lamb.

Sparks

If you couldn’t get access to organic meat would you eat non-organic?

I need a source for organic oxtail or neck of lamb.
Hi Peatress, I go to a Farmers Market. The meat isn't organic but I prefer it over the organic shop bought fare. I also get raw milk there.

P

Peatress

Hi Peatress, I go to a Farmers Market. The meat isn't organic but I prefer it over the organic shop bought fare. I also get raw milk there.
Thank you. I was at a farmers market at the weekend and I didn't like the look of the meat. I will try another market.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hidden49

Amazon product ASIN B088HT4YNNView: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Odysea-Kalamata-Virgin-Bottle-Bottles/dp/B088HT4YNN/ref=asc_df_B088HT4YNN/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=534924914820&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7359802993815747962&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045896&hvtargid=pla-1455895173500&psc=1

I use this one, can get in Sainsbury’s too, I tried their organic version and I didn’t react well maybe because it was rancid. Their non organic version works well though.

Ps don’t cook or heat virgin olive oil, it creates a liver toxin. Should only be had neat.

FitnessMike

This one is only 4% PUFA and tastes like the real olive oil I've had in spain and italy...
this one is the lowest in pufa that I have ever seen, could be a bit more accessible lol, but 12£ in Waitrose.

Jayvee

this one is the lowest in pufa that I have ever seen, could be a bit more accessible lol, but 12£ in Waitrose.

Very true but I guess quality comes at a price. Some people treat themselves to a nice bottle of wine at this price each month. it's one of my treats and its my main fat source. I get noticable benefits from it too. No olive oil has come close yet.

reality

I became addicted to this in the last week, but i didn’t realise it was so high in fat until yesterday, was having like 3 tubs a day lol

This is divine, had to stop buying it cuz it’s so moreish lol

I get their plain duchy vanilla, it’s a lot less calories/fat, and quality ingredients. I mix in some frozen cherries or blueberries and it’s real good treat

Hidden49

This is divine, had to stop buying it cuz it’s so moreish lol

I get their plain duchy vanilla, it’s a lot less calories/fat, and quality ingredients. I mix in some frozen cherries or blueberries and it’s real good treat
They don’t seem to sell the duchy one in any of the Waitrose stores near me which is annoying. I had the Waitrose chocolate no1 ice cream today, 24.8 grams of fat per 100g and I had the whole 500ml tub again plus another tub of the white chocolate one. Need to stop this habit before I mess up my liver.

Also this inflation is getting out of hand now, every few weeks I keep noticing supermarket prices increasing and it never seems to stop :/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals