White rice problem

mostlylurking

Good quality pork isn’t a great source of pufa
sez who? It all depends upon what that pig was fed. Back in olden golden times, when pigs were fed things like wind-fall apples, etc. this may have been true, but mass produced pork comes from pigs fattened on grains and soy. Pigs don't have rumens so they store the same fatty acids they consume.

1705431309193.jpeg

peter88

Says me. I work at a regenerative farm and raise hogs. The meat looks like beef and the fat is firm like beef.

Example:

mass produced pork comes from pigs fattened on grains and soy.
Yes, hence why I said “good quality”

sez who? It all depends upon what that pig was fed. Back in olden golden times, when pigs were fed things like wind-fall apples, etc. this may have been true, but mass produced pork comes from pigs fattened on grains and soy. Pigs don't have rumens so they store the same fatty acids they consume.
That is exactly right Lurking. Now pigs are stuffed with GMO corn, hormones, soy and antibiotics, a far cry from the wild ones caught or cared for in the olden days. Then add their stress and mistreatment and preservatives to keep the worms and other nasties from defiling the meat and it sounds pretty darned delicious to me!…

"In this country, lard is toxic beause the pigs are fed large quantities of corn and soy beans. Besides the natural toxicity of the seed oils, the oils are contaminated with agricultural chemicals. Corn farmers have a very high incidence of cancer, presumably because corn "requires" the use of more pesticides. This probably makes corn oil's toxicity greater than it would be otherwise. but even the pure, organically grown material is toxic, because of its unsaturation."

“There are reasons that the meat of the pig becomes more saturated with toxins than many of its counterpart farm animals. The first reason has to do with the digestive system of a pig. A pig digests whatever it eats rather quickly, in up to about four hours. On the other hand, a cow takes a good 24 hours to digest what it’s eaten. During the digestive process, animals (including humans) get rid of excess toxins as well as other components of the food eaten that could be dangerous to health. Since the pig’s digestive system operates rather basically, many of these toxins remain in its system to be stored in its more than adequate fatty tissues ready for our consumption. Another issue with the pig is that it has very few functional sweat glands and can barely sweat at all. (3) Sweat glands are a tool the body uses to be rid of toxins. This leaves more toxins in the pig’s body. When you consume pork meat, you too get all these toxins that weren’t eliminated from the pig. None of us needs more toxins in our systems." -Dr Axe

I thought this video was really interesting about what pork does to our blood after eating it. I thought curing was bad for health, but now I won’t eat uncurled pork, as cured pork is the lesser of the two evils. I do block out all thoughts of everything I know about pork and enjoy bacon somewhere here and their, like bacon wrapped dates…

mostlylurking

Says me. I work at a regenerative farm and raise hogs. The meat looks like beef and the fat is firm like beef.

Example:

Yes, hence why I said “good quality”
so what are these "low pufa" pigs eating?

Pasture raised with access to forage. Supplemented with field peas, wheat, barley, triticale and apples from our orchard.
That is a way better pig, but it still doesn’t eliminate that pigs don’t sweat and so they store all the toxins they eat or are exposed to in their meat. I am not saying not to enjoy your food whatever it may be, but one eating primarily pork and white rice can read up on what they are signing up for…

“Higher consumption of white rice is associated with an increased risk of incident diabetes with the strongest association being observed in South Asia, while in other regions, a modest, nonsignificant association was seen.”

“In the 2015 report on global foodborne illness, the WHO did not explore illness resulting from heavy metal exposure, citing that robust methods to estimate disease as a result of metals such as lead and cadmium do not currently exist [2]. To date, one study has examined heavy metals in pork liver, kidney, muscle, and pig feed in Vietnam. Lead was found in 11.1% of feed samples, 55.6% of liver samples, 38.9% of kidney samples, and 27.8% of muscle meat [41]. Cadmium was found in 94.4% of feed samples, 100% of liver samples, 100% of kidney samples, and 0% of muscle meat [41]. Arsenic was not found across any of the feed, liver, kidney, or muscle meat samples [41]. For both lead and cadmium, the levels detected were below maximum residue levels. However, further research will be required to adequately comment on the heavy metal contamination of pork products in Vietnam and any associated health consequences.

4. Conclusion​

This review demonstrates the scope and complexity of risks that pork can present to consumers in Vietnam, though there are notable absences of some known risks in the published literature. Chemical risks in Vietnamese pork products are particularly hard to deduce, with only one major study assessing heavy metal contamination and few studies attempting to capture the mosaic of antibiotic residue contaminants. Biological hazards associated with Vietnamese pork products, specifically bacteria and parasites, have been more closely studied and definitively attributed to disease outcomes and mortality. Still, Salmonella spp., S. suis, T. solium, and T. spiralis do not represent the full scope of known pathogens associated with pork consumption. The omission of other appropriate pathogens from this review is a result of gaps in the available research specific to Vietnam and comparable countries of Southeast Asia. Other pathogens known to colonise pigs and infect humans following pork consumption (including Hepatitis E, Staphylococcus aureus, and Campylobacter jejuni) are virtually absent from relevant literature. Little research to assess the impacts of pathogenic Escherichia coli consumed through pork products results in another notable gap in the literature, with most studies focused on antibiotic resistance harboured by different pork-borne E. coli isolates.”

mostlylurking

Pasture raised with access to forage. Supplemented with field peas, wheat, barley, triticale and apples from our orchard.
If you were feeding cows, deer, goats, sheep, antelope, which are all ruminants, with this diet, I'd agree with you. However, pigs are not ruminants. The bacteria in rumens convert polyunsaturated fats in grains and grass and other plants (like field peas) into saturated fats which the ruminant animals store as saturated fat and also include in their milk.

The fact that your animals are pasture raised is a huge bonus and I'm sure the meat is superior to the other pork sold in chain grocery stores. However, this does not necessarily improve the saturation of the pigs' fat, although the apples would be helpful due to their sugar content. I think it would be nice if your company would actually get some of the pig fat tested for its saturation and content of linoleic and linolenic acids. That way, you could actually have some data on which to base your "low Pufa" claim.

"The observation that multiple sclerosis is associated with the consumption of pork and horsemeat, but not beef, lamb, or goat, is very interesting, since the fat of those animals is essentially like the fats of the plant materials that they eat, meaning that it is extremely high in linoleic and linolenic acids. The rumen of cows, sheep, and goats contains bacteria that convert the polyunsaturated fats into more saturated fats. Unsaturated fats inhibit the enzymes that digest protein, and MS patients have been reported to have poor digestion of meat (Gupta, et al., 1977)."

Peatful

mainly chicken but it doesn't matter because if I eat it with brown rice there is no problem
White rice is high glycemic and super fast to digest and uptake those carbs

In turn
Brown rice is slower to digest- it has fiber

This is a blood sugar issue

If eating a white rice meal
Add more fat
Meaning make macros more balanced
Like 40/30/30
And
If eating white rice
Eat smaller portions
But eat more frequently

The Herb Doctors interviewed Peat and he speaks of the white rice bolus of food being taken up almost immediately into usable glucose for our brain and muscles etc

Brown rice sticks around longer and doesn’t have as much as a dramatic effect on our BS

OP
D

Dawid

White rice is high glycemic and super fast to digest and uptake those carbs

In turn
Brown rice is slower to digest- it has fiber

This is a blood sugar issue

If eating a white rice meal
Add more fat
Meaning make macros more balanced
Like 40/30/30
And
If eating white rice
Eat smaller portions
But eat more frequently

The Herb Doctors interviewed Peat and he speaks of the white rice bolus of food being taken up almost immediately into usable glucose for our brain and muscles etc

Brown rice sticks around longer and doesn’t have as much as a dramatic effect on our BS
Good point though I don't have a problem with other quickly digested carbs like potatoes or sugar so I don't think it's a problem but I could be wrong.

OP
D

Dawid

Brown rice has some thiamine in it. White rice has had the husk removed so it contains no thiamine. It only contains starch which requires thiamine to convert it into energy. Eating white rice causes a thiamine deficit.

I also suspected thiamine deficiency. I will try supplementation.

Ainaga

hong kong has a higher life expectancy than japan. they eat all the meats, but especially pork. they also eat white rice on a daily basis. they're both staples.
also, pork is the staple meat of the okinawan people, nose to tail, something the blue zone people don't really like to talk about. they will talk a lot about the purple yam, but the okinawans themselves will tell you about their pork consumption, which is very likely the highest in japan.

hong kong has a higher life expectancy than japan. they eat all the meats, but especially pork. they also eat white rice on a daily basis. they're both staples.
also, pork is the staple meat of the okinawan people, nose to tail, something the blue zone people don't really like to talk about. they will talk a lot about the purple yam, but the okinawans themselves will tell you about their pork consumption, which is very likely the highest in japan.
“Although the traditional Japanese diet usually includes large quantities of rice, the traditional Okinawa diet consisted of smaller quantities of rice; instead the staple was sweet potato.[2][8] The Okinawa diet had only 30% of the sugar and 15% of the grains of the average Japanese dietary intake.[2]

“Okinawans ate three grams total of meat – including pork and poultry – per day, substantially less than the 11-gram average of Japanese as a whole in 1950.[2] The pig's feet, ears, and stomach were considered as everyday foodstuffs.[11] In 1979 after many years of Westernization, the quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa was 7.9 kg (17 lb), exceeding by about 50% that of the Japanese national average.[12]

The Okinawans didn’t eat much much meat at all and ate mostly sweet potatoes, not rice….

“The dietary intake of Okinawans compared to other Japanese circa 1950 shows that Okinawans consumed: fewer total calories (1785 vs. 2068), less polyunsaturated fat (4.8% of calories vs. 8%), less rice (154g vs. 328g), significantly less wheat, barley and other grains (38g vs. 153g), less sugars (3g vs. 8g), more legumes (71g vs. 55g), significantly less fish (15g vs. 62g), significantly less meat and poultry (3g vs. 11g), less eggs (1g vs. 7g), less dairy (<1g vs. 8g), much more sweet potatoes (849g vs. 66g), less other potatoes (2g vs. 47g), less fruit (<1g vs. 44g), and no pickled vegetables (0g vs. 42g).[2] As proportions of total caloric intake, foods in the traditional Okinawa diet included sweet potato (69%), rice (12%), other grains (7%), legumes including soy (6%), green and yellow vegetables (3%), refined oils (2%), fish (1%) and seaweed, meat (mostly pork), refined sugars, potato, egg, nuts and seeds, dairy and fruit (all <1%).[2] Specifically, the Okinawans circa 1950 ate sweet potatoes for 849 grams of the total 1262 grams of food that they consumed, which constituted 69% of their total daily calories.[2]

Ainaga

“Although the traditional Japanese diet usually includes large quantities of rice, the traditional Okinawa diet consisted of smaller quantities of rice; instead the staple was sweet potato.[2][8] The Okinawa diet had only 30% of the sugar and 15% of the grains of the average Japanese dietary intake.[2]

“Okinawans ate three grams total of meat – including pork and poultry – per day, substantially less than the 11-gram average of Japanese as a whole in 1950.[2] The pig's feet, ears, and stomach were considered as everyday foodstuffs.[11] In 1979 after many years of Westernization, the quantity of pork consumption per person a year in Okinawa was 7.9 kg (17 lb), exceeding by about 50% that of the Japanese national average.[12]
in my post i refer to both hong kong people and okinawans. i say hong kong people eat rice every day, and pork. i say okinawans eat purple yam, and pork, not rice.
notice your post says "The pig's feet, ears, and stomach were considered as everyday foodstuffs." that's true. how can eating that on a daily basis amount to three grams? they must have their numbers wrong, not surprising coming from wikipedi. how do you have feet, ears and stomach on the table every day and manage to feed just one teaspoon of it to everyone?
when an okinawan centenarian was asked on camara the secret to their longevity, she replied "must be all the pork we eat" without flinching.
the other percentages wikipedia claims are also higly suspect for different reasons.
'okinawan diet' here means something like 'mediterranean diet', that is something far from the truth

in my post i refer to both hong kong people and okinawans. i say hong kong people eat rice every day, and pork. i say okinawans eat purple yam, and pork, not rice.
notice your post says "The pig's feet, ears, and stomach were considered as everyday foodstuffs." that's true. how can eating that on a daily basis amount to three grams? they must have their numbers wrong, not surprising coming from wikipedi. how do you have feet, ears and stomach on the table every day and manage to feed just one teaspoon of it to everyone?
when an okinawan centenarian was asked on camara the secret to their longevity, she replied "must be all the pork we eat" without flinching.
the other percentages wikipedia claims are also higly suspect for different reasons.
'okinawan diet' here means something like 'mediterranean diet', that is something far from the truth
At the end of that Wikipedia it stated that they have gained weight and their diseases are about equal to Japan’s now…

“In the 21st century, the shifting dietary trend coincided with a decrease in longevity, where Okinawans actually developed a lower life expectancy than the Japanese average.[3]

Ainaga

that probably means their pig raising is not as great as it used to be, and they adopted other japanese trends like low fat.

still, all the better. that means that hong kong, the rice and pork (and everything else) eating nation now has a higher lifespan than both japan AND oninawa.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals