19 yo, shin splints and wasted leg muscles.

Ratatopo

I'm 19, been peating for less than a year with improvements in some areas like skin and hair. As a kid I played at least 3 hours of soccer a day up to 5 with no problems, I stopped playing once I hit puberty due to pain from growing on my knee and heel, Osgood-Schlatter disease maybe? I have started playing few months back and I have terrible shin splints, my quadriceps feel super sore and full of blood when playing making me slow. I'm 162 lbs at 6ft so and I see 50 year old overweight people have more endurance than me. I stopped drinking coffee and that helped a little bit with the muscle weakness and lactic acid.

My diet is 3 eggs, 3 servings of orange juice, 3 servings of milk with sugar, rice, beef or chicken, sometimes liver, tortillas or more rice, tuna or chicken. Also I have been eating eggshell powder and have regular sun exposure

I workout and I'm pretty strong with my upper bodie and even leg exercises but I start running and its all useless.

jmparret

I do not think that matters because running shoes are not designed to last more than a few months with frequent use. I do not run like I used to so my shoes last a while.

I do not have an engineering background in shoes but i would imagine it would matter how you run. Most people run heel/toe but some fast runners just use the toe.

Joe

P

Peatress

Footwear could be the issue but it could also be tight calf muscles.

Peachy

Are you having any other issues? How’s digestion? Wondering if you need to switch something up in your diet.

I really like the book Chi Running. And I think toe strike is the way to go. But it sounds like endurance is what you’re really concerned about - something that can be helped with form or unrelated.

For the shin splints, ice every day to prevent them and don’t play when you have them.

P

Peatress

Peachy

I think this is probably true. It’s good for prevention though.

S.Holmes

I'm 19, been peating for less than a year with improvements in some areas like skin and hair. As a kid I played at least 3 hours of soccer a day up to 5 with no problems, I stopped playing once I hit puberty due to pain from growing on my knee and heel, Osgood-Schlatter disease maybe? I have started playing few months back and I have terrible shin splints, my quadriceps feel super sore and full of blood when playing making me slow. I'm 162 lbs at 6ft so and I see 50 year old overweight people have more endurance than me. I stopped drinking coffee and that helped a little bit with the muscle weakness and lactic acid.

My diet is 3 eggs, 3 servings of orange juice, 3 servings of milk with sugar, rice, beef or chicken, sometimes liver, tortillas or more rice, tuna or chicken. Also I have been eating eggshell powder and have regular sun exposure

I workout and I'm pretty strong with my upper bodie and even leg exercises but I start running and its all useless.
Is the water in your city fluoridated? If you don't know and feel comfortable sharing your town, county, and state, I can look it up for you.

Peachy

It seems counterintuitive.
How so?

Inflammation contributes to shin splints. Ice reduces inflammation. He should rest up until the shin splints heal, then go back in cautiously, icing to keep the inflammation in check so it doesn’t compound on itself.

Peachy

@Ratatopo if physical therapy is an option, I’d explore that. It helped my son heal his Osgood-Schlatters quickly. I put him back in whenever he seems to be on the verge of an injury. The key is finding a good therapist.

P

Peatress

How so?

Inflammation contributes to shin splints. Ice reduces inflammation. He should rest up until the shin splints heal, then go back in cautiously, icing to keep the inflammation in check so it doesn’t compound on itself.
Inflammation to the healing tissue is a necessary part of the immune response. Icing will delay healing and may increase scarring and atrophy.

Peachy

Inflammation to the healing tissue is a necessary part of the immune response. Icing will delay healing and may increase scarring and atrophy.
The study you posted is for severe injuries like muscle tears and 1.5 hours of icing daily. I’m talking about a short session for low-level inflammation and injury prevention.

This can reduce the swelling and help him feel better more quickly and keep moving. Which could net a better immune response than him freezing up on the couch for two days (immobility delays healing).

P

Peatress

The study you posted is for severe injuries like muscle tears and 1.5 hours of icing daily. I’m talking about a short session for low-level inflammation and injury prevention.

This can reduce the swelling and help him feel better more quickly and keep moving. Which could net a better immune response than him freezing up on the couch for two days (immobility delays healing).
You are right immobility does delay healing and I was not advocating this. If icing works for you I can't argue with that. I don't endorse icing for a shin splint.

Peachy

You are right immobility does delay healing and I was not advocating this. If icing works for you I can't argue with that. I don't endorse icing for a shin splint.
I’m glad you brought it up. I also don’t endorse icing for a shin splint. That’s why I specified prevention, but I could’ve been more clear.

BeanSprouts

Your bodyweight and diet are fine, so I'm wondering if it's overtraining. Basically, if you're doing strength training for your legs, then you play soccer, and then a lot of guys I know who play soccer do running on top of that, your knees have zero recovery time. I don't know your weekly routine, but you might just need more recovery time between workouts and soccer. Recovery time is genetically determined, so you'll have to experiment with what works best for you.

For me personally, whenever I tried running on rest days (which aren't really rest days anymore) after heavy squatting, I'd immediately get shin splints, and it just kept happening until I prioritized lifting over running and gave myself 4 real rest days each week. Shin splints aren't something you're supposed to be regularly suffering from.

OP
R

Ratatopo

Are you having any other issues? How’s digestion? Wondering if you need to switch something up in your diet.

I really like the book Chi Running. And I think toe strike is the way to go. But it sounds like endurance is what you’re really concerned about - something that can be helped with form or unrelated.

For the shin splints, ice every day to prevent them and don’t play when you have them.
Issues like less than ideal hair for my age and some skin issues, suffered from digestion issues but it has improved with this lifestyle. I digest dairy well.

The shin splints happens if I play 2 days in a row. Overtraining like @BeanSprouts said but I feel like at my age this stuff doesn't happen.

redsun

You are probably are not getting enough sodium. This is the issue that comes up in people who start to eat better. Natural whole foods are all low sodium. This is why 50 year olds seem to have more endurance than you. Its not endurance. Its just you don't get enough sodium so your muscles can't do what you want them to do.

Most people eat a lot of processed foods which are all high in sodium. This is why stopping coffee helped, because caffeine increase sodium excretion through kidneys even more. Problem is if you do endurance sports of any kind, you will notice the hyponatremia more because your muscles need to contract hundreds of times over hours.

Without enough sodium, you will not be able to contract muscles properly because sodium is needed to send signals from the brain to the muscles to contract. Also your muscles will swell because they will fill with fluid as the fluid in your blood will be attracted to the salt inside your cells, instead of staying outside your cells in the blood where it should be.

You may be shaking salt on your food every meal but thats probably not enough. You need to get way more sodium especially for endurance sports where you are active for a long time and you need even more if your sweating a lot on top of it. The large muscles in the leg suffer the most because they need the most signal to contract because of their size. Also you shouldn't be using eggshell powder at all since you drink 3 cups of milk a day. That is more than enough calcium, eggshell is pointless. You need way more salt, you can try eating pickles with your meals, and even gatorade while you are playing. And you should try to add more salt in the food you cook. It will not affect the taste as much when you add salt when cooking.

OP
R

Ratatopo

Is the water in your city fluoridated? If you don't know and feel comfortable sharing your town, county, and state, I can look it up for you.
Google says it is. I live in Florida, USA

I have a filter for the drinking water and shower head but I don't know how effective it is

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals