A question for young mothers out there.....

apr

Can anyone recommend the SAFEST formula available for a mother transitioning from breast milk to formula?

They all seem to have soy or vegetable oils.

Organic milk is a must....but what about all the other ingredients in formula?

Thanks in advance!

TradClare

I'm not a young mother anymore, but I used goat milk for my babies. Before about 10 months I simply diluted it one part pure water to 3 parts milk and added lactose sugar. You'd have to look up the calculations but it can be made to have human macros that way. But straight goat is great by 10 months if not younger whenever baby is getting extra carbs and fluids from foods. If you can source raw even better and usually cheaper. Maybe you can find a goat breeder or someone unlisted

carlz

I cannot speak to specific brands but I’ve heard European formulas are often better than American ones (assuming you’re in US).

naevastar

Can anyone recommend the SAFEST formula available for a mother transitioning from breast milk to formula?

They all seem to have soy or vegetable oils.

Organic milk is a must....but what about all the other ingredients in formula?

Thanks in advance!
Hipp organic formula was the best I could find in Norway. I think I started giving cows milk too at around 6 months. But I continued with Hipp 1 even when they were supposed to switch to hipp 2 cos it was more pure.

InChristAlone

Can you find donor breastmilk? Some women overproduce and love to help other Mom's.

wzuo

I cannot speak to specific brands but I’ve heard European formulas are often better than American ones (assuming you’re in US).
It's the same crap. Personally I would use goat milk or cow's if good quality is guaranteed.

OP
A

apr

Thank to all.

I am not in Europe nor US, nor can I find goat's milk nor a donor.

We have to order US or European brands online and ship. Grocery stores here offer the run of the mill formulas....similar to Costco and such.

If one were to not be able to breastfeed, does cow's milk provide all the necessary ingredients for a newborn?

wzuo

I have met a old mother and her sons and she told me she couldn't breastfeed so she gave them cow milk. It was in communist times in Poland so there were not much options to choose due to shortages of all articles. They didn't complain about that method.

LA

I was the only one my mother breast fed. My siblings were all given cow milk heated in glass bottles She used an old fashioned metal glass-bottle heater. My brother was allergic to cow milk. Our doctor made a house call and told my mother to feed him goat milk. I am 5'5" - my siblings (the cow and goat milk babies) grew taller: 5'09", 5'10", 5'11"
The above opinion is not a well researched paper on the subject.
Not one person/relative/friend I have ever spoken to on the subject believes that formulas are safe or healthy.

TheDolphin

Forum Supporter
I used raw fermented milk, I made kefir, creamy milk. This way if the milk bottle got tossed somewhere and forgotten it was already fermented, no spoilage or loss of expensive raw milk. Hardly ever used any powdered, pre-made stuff. Goat milk from your farmer is another great option.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals