Antimicrobial Effect of Cola on Several Microorganisms

OP
R

Rock_V

Abstract. This study was carried out on three different brands of cola which are marketed in Turkey. Liquid portions of the collected colas were fully removed at 55 oC. Antibacterial effect spectrum was determined by Cut Plug method. Minimum Inhibitory Concentrations were determined by micro dilution method by preparing serial dilutions of cola on studied bacterial strains. It was found that cola has a strong antibacterial effect on Bacillus cereus, Enterococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli, Escherichia coli O: 157 H: 7, Salmonella enteritidis, Yersinia enterocolitica bacteria and antifungal effect of cola could not identified. It was considered that cola drinks can be used for the treatment of bacterial factors and bacteria that causing food toxicity. At the end of the study, a comparison could not carried out as there was no study on the antibacterial effects of cola on various bacteria. It has been considered that cola beverages can be used for the treatment of bacterial factors and bacteria that causing food toxici

Gustav3Y

A couple of times in life I had some bad belly aches for a long time (one with diarrhea, one without diarrhea), ironically a bit of Cola helped reducing those bad belly aches. Too much Cola seemed to make the belly aches worse at those times as far as I remember.

BrianF

When I went to the doctor with a nasty bout of food poisoning from prawns. The doctor advised me to drink coca cola (regular, not diet) and to stir it with a spoon (to remove the gas) and then to drink it and nothing else for the next few days. Obviously I wasn't to eat either (not that I wanted to or even could).

yerrag

I've been thinking about this, so I'm glad for this synchronicity with Rock.

First of all, Coca-Cola was originally made as medicine, if I recall right. There were many oils used, and these oils have medicinal value. Sugar and carbon dioxide for energy and tissue oxygenation. It had to taste good also as it's better to enjoy medicine than to not enjoy it-this is sensible. Problem is that it tasted so good it became a beverage. And the medicinal aspect became forgotten. So much so that it became known as junk food, and it truly deserved junk status when even the sugar was replaced by sugar-free poisons.

But really, what's not to like about about cola, really?

Many essential oils are anti-bacterial, and if you check what oils are used to make the cola concentrate, don't be surprised if some of the oils are anti-bacterial.

Add sugar, and do we revere sugar for production of energy, and if sugar is metabolized correctly, it even produces carbon dioxide which we know is a key pH regulator in the body, and necessary for the body to maintain acid-base balance. And if you believe in Beauchamp more than you believe in Pasteur, you would know that a bad terrain makes germs flourish. So, definitely, cola is anti-bacterial seen this way.

Last but not the least is the CO2 that you take in and let absorb into the body's tissues. The body knows how to use CO2 to good effect. One way taking soda helps is that when the body is busy fighting bacteria, it downregulates oxidative metabolism in order to focus on killing bacteria. If this infection is persistent, and takes days or weeks to subside, the body will be depleted of carbon dioxide - because oxidative metabolism is downregulates. Taking cola, or simply soda water, will give the body a valuable supply of CO2. Just the body being able to adequately oxygenated its tissues because of CO2 enabling it should allow the body to keep its energy levels and immune resistance high enough to deal with the infection.

This gives me an idea - Why not make our own medicinal colas using some essential oils with good anti-microbial properties? It may still taste good, and you'll enjoy getting well from it as well.

yerrag

Can cola prevent or cure COVID? You betcha. It sure beats using intubation and pure oxygen respiration by hospitals, where CO2 is treated as villain rather than savior.

Gustav3Y

First of all, Coca-Cola was originally made as medicine, if I recall right.
It supposedly was, but with coca plants it is said, no coca plants in Cola forever.
Weather it really contained anything related to coca plants is another thing, might just well be myth or hype.

It probably has something to do with the fact that is very acidic PH 2.3 when you look at that and it also has caffeine.

The CO2 might or not be a bonus, considering people report good effect with Cola without the gas.
Can there be CO2 in Cola without the bubbles?

I can tell you Cola from McDonald's is not the same as with the one in the bottle, McDonald's acts for me almost always like a go to the toilet request the next minutes of drinking it, while the store bought one rarely does that as far as I have noticed.
At least around this time of my life.

Amazoniac

It supposedly was, but with coca plants it is said, no coca plants in Cola forever.
Weather it really contained anything related to coca plants is another thing, might just well be myth or hype.

It probably has something to do with the fact that is very acidic PH 2.3 when you look at that and it also has caffeine.

The CO2 might or not be a bonus, considering people report good effect with Cola without the gas.

I can tell you Cola from McDonald's is not the same as with the one in the bottle, McDonald's acts for me almost always like a go to the toilet request the next minutes of drinking it, while the store bought one rarely does that as far as I have noticed.
At least around this time of my life.
Since pH is a measure of hydrogen ion concentration in a solution, evaporating the water (as they did) will lower it further. This alone can have an inhibitory effect, but it has your antimicrobial caffeine and the phosphoric acid. Even excess concentrated sugar can create solute stress that's also inhibitory in a dish, I remember discussing this with our semi-god a long time ago. I don't expect regular consumption to be much potent.

↳ [18] Use of coca-cola drinks in gastric pathology in pediatric patients

yerrag

The coca plant isn't the only source of medicinal property.

I don't understand. You referring to original Coke or all colas? And what about the caffeine, what about it?

I talked about the benefits of carbonation. You don't agree with that? Or you didn't read that far?

Gustav3Y

I talked about the benefits of carbonation. You don't agree with that? Or you didn't read that far?

The reality is that people drink fizzed out Coca Cola and get benefits on apparent pathogenic issues, anecdotes here on this thread and in reality also.
So then I asked can no gas Cola, after it fizzed out still contain CO2?

"I don't understand. You referring to original Coke or all colas? And what about the caffeine, what about it?"

I am referring to Coca Cola that I was able to buy in mylife time and for which I can attest some positives, the so called original recipe is from 19th century.
PH 2.3 of a drink is not to be ignored
Caffeine is metabolic boosting, antimicrobial, etc and found in Coca Cola.

yerrag

O
The reality is that people drink fizzed out Coca Cola and get benefits on apparent pathogenic issues, anecdotes here on this thread and in reality also.
So then I asked can no gas Cola, after it fizzed out still contain CO2?
Oh ok. Without carbonation, there still are other ingredients. As for CO2, when fizzed out it's no longer there.
Caffeine is metabolic boosting, antimicrobial, etc and found in Coca Cola
So you think caffeine is the significant factor that gives colas their antimicrobial properties? Perhaps, but there are essential oils also in Coke that are also antimicrobial. But I won't drink colas to fight infection, unless I make my own Cola with my own essential oil blend in it.

Lilac

This gives me an idea - Why not make our own medicinal colas using some essential oils with good anti-microbial properties? It may still taste good, and you'll enjoy getting well from it as well.

I used to hear a lot of advertisements for the Sodastream appliance. That might be a convenient way to carbonate your own recipe.
:cheers

yerrag

I used to hear a lot of advertisements for the Sodastream appliance. That might be a convenient way to carbonate your own recipe.
:cheers
I made my own setup but it's bulky with the CO2 steel tank. I think it's. better to go with the Sodastream even if it costs more. It's just more convenient to use it seems. Been learning from reading a few aromatherapy books. It seems making one's own recipe isn't too hard, and drinking offers the ability to incorporate high molecular weight substances into the recipe.

Last edited:

Gustav3Y

"These results suggest that Coca-Cola induces HCO3 secretion in both the stomach and the duodenum, and these responses may be attributable to both the intracellular supply of HCO3 generated via carbonic anhydrase, and endogenous PGs, probably related to the acidic pH of the solution."

The high acidity causing an increase of bicarbonate secretion by the stomach and duodenum. This is not something one would have guessed out of thin air.

Gustav3Y

yerrag

PH 2.3 of a drink is not to be ignored

The high acidity causing an increase of bicarbonate secretion by the stomach and duodenum. This is not something one would have guessed out of thin air.
I couldn't get over that Coke would have a pH of 2.3, so the acidity, it must be intentional then as it was intended as a medicine when formulated.

All this talk about phosphoric acid being used as a toilet cleaner, or even Coke, even if it were true, is intended to malign Coke just as Ivermectin is called a horse dewormer, in order to scare the bejesus out of drinking them.

It's funny there's caffeine-free Coke and sugar-free Coke, but no phosphoric acid-free Coke.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Even excess concentrated sugar can create solute stress that's also inhibitory in a dish

Salt and sugar both cause mild/moderate blood hypertonicity, which has direct antiviral effect. Sugar lower lipolysis, which lowers free tryptophan in the blood as FFA displace tryptophan from albumin where most of it is present while in circulation. That also tends to decrease serotonin synthesis, especially in the brain since tryptophan uptake into the brain is driven mainly by the tryptophan/LNAA ratio. Also, as you said, there is evidence for direct antiviral effect of sugar(s) and some of the evidence is quite recent.

FWIW, Pepsi is on the W.H.O. list of essential medicines, as it is quite effective in treating dehydration in people with infectious disease (including of viral origin). While the W.H.O. does not explicitly say so, the reason Pepsi ended up on that list was not so much its rehydrating properties, but the fact that doctors in 3rd world countries noticed it alleviates (and possibly even retards/cures) viral infections, and in some cases even malaria. I don't know that there is any special ingredient in Pepsi responsible for these effects, so my guess is it's the sugar, CO2, caffeine, and phosphoric acid and those are also present in Coke, so the latter should have similar effects.

@Rock_V

yerrag

Maybe it's because Pepsi is devoid of any real sugar, at least in the Philippines. That's why the WHO recommends it over Coke.

At least with Coke, I can still buy it the 500ml bottle and the aluminum can that. contains Coke with real sugar.

yerrag

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals