Anyone know what this brown discoloration on the eye is ?

GorillaHead

I attached a photo. Curious what this patchy brown is on the whites of my eye

Attachments

• IMG_6819.png
    IMG_6819.png
    515 KB · Views: 42

alephx

I think it is kind of a mole, pigmented patch. Not sure the exact term but I've seen similar (less diffuse though, more defined shape) in other people

HeyThere

Looks like a popped blood vessel to me. Not sure why it's brownish in color, might be older blood?

P

Peatress

The cornea normally contains more riboflavin even than the retina, which has a much higher rate of metabolism. When the cornea isn't able to get enough oxygen from the air for its needs (and if riboflavin is deficient, its need for oxygen is increased), surrounding blood vessels at first dilate in response to the diffusing lactic acid, to increase the blood supply to the edges of the cornea. If the problem is prolonged, the conjuctiva becomes chronically blood-shot, hyperemic, and larger more visible blood vessels grow, surrounding the cornea, or even invading the cornea. Many people, especially women, experienced problems of this sort from wearing contact lenses, especially when the lenses were made of materials very impermeable to oxygen (Dumbleton, et al., 2006).

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

The cornea normally contains more riboflavin even than the retina, which has a much higher rate of metabolism. When the cornea isn't able to get enough oxygen from the air for its needs (and if riboflavin is deficient, its need for oxygen is increased), surrounding blood vessels at first dilate in response to the diffusing lactic acid, to increase the blood supply to the edges of the cornea. If the problem is prolonged, the conjuctiva becomes chronically blood-shot, hyperemic, and larger more visible blood vessels grow, surrounding the cornea, or even invading the cornea. Many people, especially women, experienced problems of this sort from wearing contact lenses, especially when the lenses were made of materials very impermeable to oxygen (Dumbleton, et al., 2006).
Interesting ill try some riboflavin

mostlylurking

Once you get the brown patches I'm not sure they can be reversed but you could prevent new ones forming.
I suspect the brown debris will clear out/go away in time. I had some brown/dark spots (blood) at the back of my eye several months ago from a retinal detachment and they went away.

P

Peatress

I suspect the brown debris will clear out/go away in time. I had some brown/dark spots (blood) at the back of my eye several months ago from a retinal detachment and they went away.
Thank you. This is good to know as I have a small brown mark which has been there for years. I have no visual disturbance from it.

mostlylurking

Thank you. This is good to know as I have a small brown mark which has been there for years. I have no visual disturbance from it.
Of course, I could be wrong....Dried blood from an injury (like a bruise) should go away. A birth mark or a mole, maybe not so much.

P

Peatress

Of course, I could be wrong....Dried blood from an injury (like a bruise) should go away. A birth mark or a mole, maybe not so much.
Mine is very similar to the OP. I have very good eyesight so I haven't worried about it previously.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals