Are Vegetables Really That Necessary?

DaveFoster

Problems can happen when individuals attempt to eat green vegetables as a staple (often with butter or other fat), or worse: raw salads with vegetable oil dressings.

Obi-wan

I drink raw milk daily and try to eat broccoli daily. Also a carrot daily and a leaf salad daily with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Travis

I drink raw milk daily and try to eat broccoli daily. Also a carrot daily and a leaf salad daily with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar
I think broccoli is really good when steamed, and would have no trouble eating that every day (with salt, cayenne pepper, and perhaps coconut oil). But I'm sticking with the raw kale now for the time being; I'm somewhat apprehensive about eating non-native starch (even kale is bit starchy; this is apparent when steamed.)

The Brassica species grown in selenium-enriched soil are highly chemopreventative, and this has been proven in broccoli-feeding trials in rodents. Brassica species are all hyper-accumulators of selenium and use this element to synthesize selenomethionine: a powerful, natural, and completely safe amino acid and polyamine inhibitor (as a methionine antagonist). Selenomethionine is even obligatory for the enzyme glutathionine peroxidase—in the active catalytic domain—although we humans also can synthesize selenomethionine from just plain methionine and selenium ions.

Last edited:

G Forrest

I generally feel well after eating broccoli, though it does cause gas in large amounts or being slightly undercooked, which leads me to believe it may not be ideal if one's digestion isn't strong. Perhaps it's the fiber and the sulfur found in cruciferous veggies.

Obi-wan

George Bush Jr. was a big advocate of eating Broccoli as a anti cancer vegetable

tara

Vegetables are overrated, adequate calories and macronutrients are more important.
Depends what you are missing.
They may not be necessary, I like them when I feel like munching on something but don’t want many calories. I’ve been wondering if my cooked broccoli I have so often is doing any harm. Might switch to green beans.
I'd pick broccoli over beans.

Just "regular" vegetables, onions, peppers, garlic, parnsips, carrots, courgette, mushrooms. Small amounts of a mix variety.
I'm enjoying eating various veges too, and my sense is they mostly do me good. I probably get a little gas gas from time to time too, but nothing like what I used to get when I ate lots of relatively whole grain every day.

Vinero

Depends what you are missing.
Lately I have been eating more vegetables, like mushrooms and zucchini.
I fry it in cocoa butter, which gives me healthy saturated fat like stearic acid.
Vegetables are still overrated in society, but they can be great carriers for salt and saturated fats.

tara

Vegetables are still overrated in society, but they can be great carriers for salt and saturated fats.
Vegetables can be good sources of several essential minerals. It's quite possible to get deficient in some of those minerals if you just focus on macronutrients and NaCl.
They may not be necessary for everyone, but they can often be useful, especially for those of us who have difficulties with some of the other food sources of those minerals. Anytime I skimp on veges for a few days tends to turn into a bad week.

Vinero

Vegetables can be good sources of several essential minerals. It's quite possible to get deficient in some of those minerals if you just focus on macronutrients and NaCl.
They may not be necessary for everyone, but they can often be useful, especially for those of us who have difficulties with some of the other food sources of those minerals. Anytime I skimp on veges for a few days tends to turn into a bad week.
What nutrients are you thinking of? I rely on milk, meat and dark chocolate for my minerals.
Milk for calcium
Meat for zinc
Dark chocolate for magnesium and copper.

tara

What nutrients are you thinking of? I rely on milk, meat and dark chocolate for my minerals.
That's not just focusing on macros and protein.
Not all of us can eat those things.
Potassium, magnesium, calcium, ....
And some of us seem to do better with some fibre.
And then there's enjoying the food.

G Forrest

Well leafy greens are powerhouses when it comes to vitamin A and K, and also calcium.

Sobieski

For me, vegetables are much like other foods that can be problematic. If they're cooked well enough and eaten with copious amounts of butter, they seem to cause no problems.

Travis

For me, vegetables are much like other foods that can be problematic. If they're cooked well enough and eaten with copious amounts of butter, they seem to cause no problems.
And they don't seem to cause any problems when consumed raw.

cjm

Milk for calcium
Meat for zinc
Dark chocolate for magnesium and copper.

Just came here to say that on a diet of dark chocolate raw (likely 100% A2) milk and organic grass-fed lean beef, which at my current appetite clocks in around 100g protein, I feel quite stable. I've been eating this way for about two months now, more or less religiously, consuming the vast majority of those calories during the daylight hours. Idk, I instinctively crave meat, and milk and chocolate pair really well. I tried to substitute half the chocolate I was using in my recipe for vanilla extract and the milk tasted hollow. Methinks my original recipe for a gallon of choco milk was half cup dark choc and a cup sugar.

Vinero

Just came here to say that on a diet of dark chocolate raw (likely 100% A2) milk and organic grass-fed lean beef, which at my current appetite clocks in around 100g protein, I feel quite stable. I've been eating this way for about two months now, more or less religiously, consuming the vast majority of those calories during the daylight hours. Idk, I instinctively crave meat, and milk and chocolate pair really well. I tried to substitute half the chocolate I was using in my recipe for vanilla extract and the milk tasted hollow. Methinks my original recipe for a gallon of choco milk was half cup dark choc and a cup sugar.
Meat, milk and chocolate is a good combination. You get all the major minerals (calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, selenium) and the milk and chocolate help to inhibit excessive iron absorption from the meat.

cjm

Meat, milk and chocolate is a good combination. You get all the major minerals (calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, selenium) and the milk and chocolate help to inhibit excessive iron absorption from the meat.

I don't object to the idea of eating vegetables and occasionally I crave them. My bigger issue is having to make an effort to find trustworthy organic ones. Has anyone here thoroughly investigated their sources? I guess I'm just too lazy. The meat and milk come from a local farm where I can literally watch them feed and milk the cows so I'm re-assured of the ethics and quality. I make a bi-monthly bulk purchase, convenient to boot.

mr_mercer

I make a lentil + spinach + broccoli "dal" in the pressure cooker and can it. Let a cup of lentils and a cup of split peas germinate for a few days in a big jar of water. They get all frothy and come to life. Then toss them in the pressure cooker. Add spinach and broccoli (I usually just buy frozen). I just eyeball it and the amounts don't really matter. Add some gelatin if desired. Experiment with seasonings: curry powder, salt, etc. Sometimes I'll add a lot of canned tomato sauce, though I guess you could throw in whole tomatoes if you have access to good ones. If you want to make it more calorific also add some flour or masa harina. Cook for a few hours under pressure, and then reduce as necessary (less is needed if you added flour). Add some butter and maybe a little parmesan during the reduction and stir. Can, and maybe do another canning pressure round with the cans to make them keep longer.

You can spoon some of the goop into scrambled eggs as you're cooking, spread some on bread and put into a toaster oven, or eat straight out of the jar. You can make a whole bunch at once and then not worry about vegetables for a couple months. I'm into bulk operation efficiency.

I definitely feel that including the variety of beans and greens helps me. Eating them raw is retarded and heavily pressure cooking is a great idea.

I think there's maybe some value in limiting your menu a bit to certain nutritious foods you've prepared yourself and letting taste guide you. To elaborate, I had experimented with throwing a few T3 tablets in the above described veggie dal/stew. For a couple weeks I would crave and gobble that stuff, but then later I had to throw away a batch because I really didn't want the rest of it. I think it's better to try to get everything via food than mess around with pills for this reason. Your appetite can help guide you.

lvysaur

Lately I have been eating more vegetables, like mushrooms and zucchini.
I fry it in cocoa butter, which gives me healthy saturated fat like stearic acid.

That's new. Where do you get your cacao butter? And does it still retain any chocolate taste?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals