Waking Up In The Middle Of The Night Since Peating

blackkzeus

I'm a 23 year old male. I'm of normal weight. 5'11 , 165lbs. I've recently had a hormone panel and everything came back normal besides testosterone, which is on the low side at 410 ( 360-1100)

Since I began Peating (increased calories and consuming sugar and milk) in the beginning of the month I've been waking up in the middle night feeling very hot, hungry, and thirsty. In the beginning of my new diet I was consuming alot of fruits, dairy, and sugar and experienced migraines, blurry vision. I eventually cut out the dairy and fruits and switched to starches, vegetables, and muscle meats because I was having delayed sensitives to them. Basically, acne and a weird tingly feeling in my face. I thought the removal of those foods would also help with waking up in the middle of the night. It did not. What could be the issue?

TubZy

I'm a 23 year old male. I'm of normal weight. 5'11 , 165lbs. I've recently had a hormone panel and everything came back normal besides testosterone, which is on the low side at 410 ( 360-1100)

Since I began Peating (increased calories and consuming sugar and milk) in the beginning of the month I've been waking up in the middle night feeling very hot, hungry, and thirsty. In the beginning of my new diet I was consuming alot of fruits, dairy, and sugar and experienced migraines, blurry vision. I eventually cut out the dairy and fruits and switched to starches, vegetables, and muscle meats because I was having delayed sensitives to them. Basically, acne and a weird tingly feeling in my face. I thought the removal of those foods would also help with waking up in the middle of the night. It did not. What could be the issue?

Most likely blood sugar drop/ cortisol surge. Try drinking a big glass of juice before bed. I had the same issue in the beginning of peating.

OP
B

blackkzeus

Most likely blood sugar drop/ cortisol surge. Try drinking a big glass of juice before bed. I had the same issue in the beginning of peating.

So i had a sugary drink last night right before I went to bed. I woke up twice feeling very hot, hungry, and thirsty. I usually only wake up once during the night. Any other suggestions?

HDD

You might try milk with sugar, ice cream, or cheese with oj instead of only sugary drink.

WestCoaster

I noticed a lot of people who are here have lowish Testosterone.

A lot of people here also have high cortisol and cortisol and testosterone oppose each other. As one rises the other falls.

OP, you need something fatty before bed; stay away from the sugar prior to sleep. It should be no secret to people that sugar causes a sugar crash. This is what a sugar crash is: As insulin rises or spikes it suppresses the body's ability to burn fat (which is the main source of energy); just remember, insulin blocks fat burning. When blood sugar drops too low, cortisol spikes to bring the blood sugar back up, that is one of Cortisol's chief functions; if it did not do this, we would die. To avoid this, you don't let the blood sugar drop to low, and to do that you need to consume food that does not cause the blood sugar to drop (like too much sugar).

You (and others) have to understand when insulin spikes too fast you get essentially a quick burst of energy. Once the sugar has been used up, your blood sugar drops rapidly, but unfortunately because a lot of people with high sugar diets (or fast too much), have some level of insulin resistance. What this means is the insulin doesn't clear from your body that quickly and remains elevated. Remember what I said in the previous paragraph, insulin blocks fat burning. Your body essentially loses it's energy supply (no sugar and no fat), so cortisol steps in and drags your blood sugar up to keep you alive.

What you're experiencing is consuming sugar before bed, your insulin spiking completely rending your body's ability to burn fat useless. Your body is using up the sugar, but your insulin is remaining elevated, your body is losing it's energy supply, and cortisol is stepping in to correct it. Cortisol is waking you up. This also causes someone to (feel), hot and have some level of night sweats. Night sweats can be a sign of T2 diabetes (which is insulin resistance). Sugar causes insulin to spike (so group in there any type of fruit juice, and fruit if you consume too much of it). Dairy also causes insulin to spike (so group in there milk and ice cream). If you consume ice cream, you're getting a double hit from both sugar and dairy.

Eating fatty things like eggs, cheese, or red meat should alleviate this. If it doesn't, it means you're consuming too much insulin spiking foods throughout the day (juice and milk for example), you'll need to start scaling back and removing them systematically until you find you can sleep through the night.

OP
B

blackkzeus

burning fat is our main source of energy? I thought using glucose was. I'm confused on the whole insulin process. I thought insulin shuttles the sugar into the cells, so if the sugar is being used how am I insulin resistant ? I'm just trying to process what you're saying. It's just contradictory to what I've ever heard. Or maybe I'm confused.? What you're saying does Make some sense.

I'll try fat before bed. But what about complex carbs ? They're not easily used up by insulin right

InChristAlone

My worst sleep was on the milk diet. I would wake up with an adrenaline surge shortly after going to sleep, then again at 3 am. Sometimes every 2 hrs. I get the best sleep by balancing blood sugar throughout the day. I don't drink milk anymore, but I do eat quite a bit of haagen dazs (which is 58% fat) in the evening, and then sometimes a snack before bed like a piece of fruit and cheese. I can sleep through the night if I get it right. I disagree that sugar causes the drops though, I think milk is a powerful insulin spiker.

OP
B

blackkzeus

I'm not drinking milk though. Haven't drank milk in like two weeks. Nor do I eat any fruit.

BastiFuntasty

Isn't it the presence of free fatty acids that make you insulin resistant?
There is this one study where someone was on a sugar only diet and his insulin sensitivity improved quite well.
It seems that sugar together with fat is more of the problem. If only sugar was the culprit fruitarians wouldn't be able to sleep.

Liver function is paramount when it comes to process sugar correctly and it needs much time to correct a sluggish liver.

But I would also not go to high with sugar in the presleep time.
Peat himself mentions for people with sleep problems a little extra fat would be good ta make it through the night. You have to experiment what works for you.

A lot of people here also have high cortisol and cortisol and testosterone oppose each other. As one rises the other falls.

OP, you need something fatty before bed; stay away from the sugar prior to sleep. It should be no secret to people that sugar causes a sugar crash. This is what a sugar crash is: As insulin rises or spikes it suppresses the body's ability to burn fat (which is the main source of energy); just remember, insulin blocks fat burning. When blood sugar drops too low, cortisol spikes to bring the blood sugar back up, that is one of Cortisol's chief functions; if it did not do this, we would die. To avoid this, you don't let the blood sugar drop to low, and to do that you need to consume food that does not cause the blood sugar to drop (like too much sugar).

You (and others) have to understand when insulin spikes too fast you get essentially a quick burst of energy. Once the sugar has been used up, your blood sugar drops rapidly, but unfortunately because a lot of people with high sugar diets (or fast too much), have some level of insulin resistance. What this means is the insulin doesn't clear from your body that quickly and remains elevated. Remember what I said in the previous paragraph, insulin blocks fat burning. Your body essentially loses it's energy supply (no sugar and no fat), so cortisol steps in and drags your blood sugar up to keep you alive.

What you're experiencing is consuming sugar before bed, your insulin spiking completely rending your body's ability to burn fat useless. Your body is using up the sugar, but your insulin is remaining elevated, your body is losing it's energy supply, and cortisol is stepping in to correct it. Cortisol is waking you up. This also causes someone to (feel), hot and have some level of night sweats. Night sweats can be a sign of T2 diabetes (which is insulin resistance). Sugar causes insulin to spike (so group in there any type of fruit juice, and fruit if you consume too much of it). Dairy also causes insulin to spike (so group in there milk and ice cream). If you consume ice cream, you're getting a double hit from both sugar and dairy.

Eating fatty things like eggs, cheese, or red meat should alleviate this. If it doesn't, it means you're consuming too much insulin spiking foods throughout the day (juice and milk for example), you'll need to start scaling back and removing them systematically until you find you can sleep through the night.

Sugar and insulin dock correctly when thyroid is in working condition... you have glycogen stores that will maintain blood sugar..... no sugar means cortisol will go up and block thyroid function.. which will lower glycogen stores. .

tara

For me, loading up on sugar just before sleep doesn't seem ideal. Seems to work better for me to load up on food earlier in the day - especially morning till midday/early afternoon. And then a smaller boost in the evening. I don't always manage to do it like that though.

OP
B

blackkzeus

Sugar and insulin dock correctly when thyroid is in working condition... you have glycogen stores that will maintain blood sugar..... no sugar means cortisol will go up and block thyroid function.. which will lower glycogen stores. .

You think my problem may stem from being hypothyroid?

OP
B

blackkzeus

For me, loading up on sugar just before sleep doesn't seem ideal. Seems to work better for me to load up on food earlier in the day - especially morning till midday/early afternoon. And then a smaller boost in the evening. I don't always manage to do it like that though.

Yeah I don't do that. The thing is I don't eat sugary foods through out the day really. Just a lot of carbs.

sladerunner69

Sounds like you're burning through all of your sugar too fast, which happens a lot to me as well. Especially when I take extra supplements like niacinmide and methylene blue. Perhaps your emtabolism is already decent and stacking diet and suppelements on top would mean you would need a remarkable amount of calories before bed to prevent this.

Last night before bed I drank pepsi, ate a good amount of cheese, and had a yogurt. I took niacinmide, vitamin k, one gram aspirin, methelene blue, 5a-dhp and 2 drops pansterone. I usually wouldnt take all this at once but I had a bit of a hangover from some a few coors banquet I treated myself to on saturday night, so I wanted to kickstart my metabolism and bring everything back online, as well as crush the estrogen release. But I guess it really pushed my metabolism too hard ebcause I woke up 3 hours later with my brain in shambles again, it was ridiculously hard to think clearly and just form a coherent thought, making it very uncomfortable to try and fall back asleep so I had to drink some OJ/baking soda which made things a little easier.

Risingfire

Are you eating pufa's? Whenever I eat fried food, I wake up in the middle of the night. Not necessarily an adrenaline surge but I still wake up. My body isn't used to the fried food and freaks out

aquaman

I'm not drinking milk though. Haven't drank milk in like two weeks. Nor do I eat any fruit.

List what you eat exactly and at what times (and quantities). It's not much use just knowing you eat certain foods in a day: the timing, combinations and quantity is more relevant.

OP
B

blackkzeus

It depends on the day. My eating schedule and the foods I eat change on a daily basis. But yesterday here's what I ate and I woke up in
the middle of night yesterday, feeling very hot and thirsty

10 am: 2 eggs and potatoes (300 calories)
2 PM: 12 inch italian sub (1200)
6 PM: Rice and some chicken ( 600 calories)
10 PM: 10 sugar cookies ( bad choice, I know lol) ( 400 calories)
1 AM: 2 Tablespoons of olive oil (240 calories)

I had the olive oil because someone suggested I eat some fat before going to bed to prevent waking up through the night.
Didn't work yesterday.

OP
B

blackkzeus

Are you eating pufa's? Whenever I eat fried food, I wake up in the middle of the night. Not necessarily an adrenaline surge but I still wake up. My body isn't used to the fried food and freaks out

I"m eating PUFAS but not that much.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals