Aspirin Chelates Iron

haidut

Forum Supporter
Both vitamin E and aspirin have been associated in epidemiological studies with lower iron saturation, however I don't think either one is considered an iron chelator. This study says that aspirin is in fact an iron chelator.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3335633

"...Since MDA production in this system is known to be affected by iron-chelating agents (enhanced at low concentration, inhibited at higher concentration), the iron-chelating properties of ASA were investigated. Conductivity titration curves of Fe(OH)3 added to water or ASA suggested that the ASA was complexing with iron. The presence of an iron-ASA complex was established by high pressure liquid chromatographic analysis of the solution from this study. We conclude that aspirin enhances MDA production by hepatic microsomes and mitochondria via an aspirin-iron chelate and that this represents at least one mechanism by which aspirin may produce liver damage."

The concentration of aspirin resulting in maximum chelation of iron was 2.3mM. In human doses, 30mg/kg - 90mg/kg gives concentrations of 1mM - 3mM, so to achieve 2.3mM you'd need about 60mg/kg dose.

tara

Is this saying that aspirin may chelate iron, and by means of the aspirin-iron combination, increase liver damage? That doesn't sound great?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
tara said:
Is this saying that aspirin may chelate iron, and by means of the aspirin-iron combination, increase liver damage? That doesn't sound great?

Yes, that's what it says. However, I also posted a study showing aspirin protects the liver from acetaminophen toxicity, as well as from other assaults like alcohol, PUFA oxidation, etc.
So, it could go either way but so far I have not seen a direct study showing the aspirin-iron chelate damages the liver. Btw, the study also says that the same potential damage is inherent in the other iron chelators. There is nothing specific to aspirin that makes the formed iron chelate more dangerous than the one formed by say deferoxamine. It would depend on the dosage of the chelator, with higher doses being more damaging since they would shuttle more iron to the liver.
Lower doses of aspirin (<1g daily) have been shown to lower iron and there was no liver damage.

Peat's_Girl

haidut said:
Both vitamin E and aspirin have been associated in epidemiological studies with lower iron saturation, however I don't think either one is considered an iron chelator. This study says that aspirin is in fact an iron chelator.

"...Since MDA production in this system is known to be affected by iron-chelating agents (enhanced at low concentration, inhibited at higher concentration), the iron-chelating properties of ASA were investigated. Conductivity titration curves of Fe(OH)3 added to water or ASA suggested that the ASA was complexing with iron. The presence of an iron-ASA complex was established by high pressure liquid chromatographic analysis of the solution from this study. We conclude that aspirin enhances MDA production by hepatic microsomes and mitochondria via an aspirin-iron chelate and that this represents at least one mechanism by which aspirin may produce liver damage."

The concentration of aspirin resulting in maximum chelation of iron was 2.3mM. In human doses, 30mg/kg - 90mg/kg gives concentrations of 1mM - 3mM, so to achieve 2.3mM you'd need about 60mg/kg dose.

Sorry, H, can you simplify? How much, in mg, or Aspirin and E for a chick with extra chub (175lbs)?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peat's_Girl said:
haidut said:

Sorry, H, can you simplify? How much, in mg, or Aspirin and E for a chick with extra chub (175lbs)?

I think they used 2.3mM concentration of aspirin, which translated to about 75mg/kg oral daily dose (one or split does not matter) to achieve these levels. This is a high dose, but even low doses of aspirin like one 325mg tablet have been shown to lower iron over the course of 12 months.

Peat's_Girl

haidut said:
I think they used 2.3mM concentration of aspirin, which translated to about 75mg/kg oral daily dose (one or split does not matter) to achieve these levels. This is a high dose, but even low doses of aspirin like one 325mg tablet have been shown to lower iron over the course of 12 months.

Like 60 g? Isn't that a suicide handful of aspirin? ;D

What about vitamin E for PUFA depletion (plus a low fat diet ofc)?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peat's_Girl said:
haidut said:

Like 60 g? Isn't that a suicide handful of aspirin? ;D

What about vitamin E for PUFA depletion (plus a low fat diet ofc)?

Why 60g? A typical girl weighing aboout 65kg would need to take close to 5g of aspirin to achieve that. High, but certainly doable and done before.
I am not sure about vitamin E depleting PUFA. I think at best it can saturate unsaturated PUFA, but that is something Peat said and I have not been able to verify it. Other than displacing PUFA by eating saturated fat and excreting PUFA through glucuronidation (preferable) or oxidation (not optimal), there aren't many ways to saturate the fat. Maybe heating yourself up to 90 degrees as often as you can would saturate some of it. Peat said that exposing animals to cold or hot turned their fat into PUFA or saturated fat.

Peata

Was reading on this page: Iron: Too Much of a Good Thing

This was interesting:

After full growth is achieved, at about age 18 or so, excess iron accumulates in the blood of all humans at the rate of 1 mg per day. [2] About 80 percent of the body's iron stores are in the blood. Women are less at risk for iron buildup than men because of the blood they lose monthly during menstruation. As a result, women have somewhere around half the circulating iron levels as men. Their rates for heart disease, cancer and diabetes are also about half those of males. Because men have no direct outlet for iron, by age 40 their iron levels are similar to those of a postmenopausal 70-year-old woman. This amount of iron can lead to premature aging and diseases such as arthritis, cancer, cataracts, diabetes, osteoporosis, and retinal, liver and brain disorders. [4] Postmenopausal women, or women who have undergone early hysterectomy in their 20s, 30s and early 40s, may experience similar problems. [5]

Upon closer inspection, many health-promoting practices inadvertently control iron. For example, taking an aspirin a day to prevent heart attacks and strokes causes blood loss via the digestive tract on the order of about a tablespoon per day. This results in iron loss. [7] Raymond Hohl, M.D., an assistant professor of internal medicine and pharmacology at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, says even chronic use of a baby aspirin may help to control iron and in some cases can induce iron-deficiency anemia. [8] Aspirin also appears to increase the production of ferritin, an iron-binding protein that prevents iron from inducing oxidation. [9] By exercising, a person loses about 1 mg of iron through sweat. [10] Fasting and vegetarian diets, both of which promote longevity in animals and humans, limit iron consumption because red meat contains the highly absorbable heme iron. Whether or not related to iron consumption, restricting red meat consumption has been shown in various studies to reduce the risk of colon cancer. [11]

Various dietary practices can help control iron levels. In a relatively short period of time, dietary changes can result in anemia, iron overload or an ideal state of iron control. Anemia can be induced in about 120 days, while symptoms of iron overload can come on in just 60 days.

Humans absorb only a fraction of the iron they consume, but there are many controlling factors. [20] Iron absorption rates from food vary widely, from less than 1 percent to nearly 100 percent. [21] Cooks who use iron or stainless steel pots increase the amount of iron they consume. [22] Generally, iron in plant foods is not as well absorbed as iron from meat: Only 5 percent of iron in plant foods is available, vs. 30 to 50 percent of iron from meat. [23] Olive oil and spices such as anise, caraway, cumin, licorice and mint promote iron absorption, [24] while antacids, eggs and soy reduce availability. [25] Since dairy products contain lactoferrin, milk also inhibits the absorption of iron. [26] Moderate alcohol consumption is unlikely to pose a problem with iron absorption, but excessive amounts of alcohol is associated with iron overload, particularly in adult males. [27]

Vitamin C also increases iron absorption. [28] However, there is no evidence that vitamin C leads to iron overload. Thus vitamin C should not be avoided by meat-eaters for this reason, since studies show high-dose vitamin C supplements are associated with a decreased risk for heart disease, cancer, cataracts and other disorders. [29] A vegetarian diet does not generally cause iron-deficiency anemia because there is more vitamin C in plant-food diets, which enhances absorption. [30]

A 1982 human study was conducted to assess the effect of various drinks on iron absorption. A subject ate a standard meal of a hamburger, string beans, mashed potatoes and water. When green tea was drunk instead of water, iron absorption was reduced by 62 percent. Coffee reduced iron absorption by 35 percent, whereas orange juice (as a source of vitamin C) increased absorption by 85 percent. Contrary to other studies, milk and beer had no significant effect. [31]

I'm reminded of @natedawggh posts about cilantro iron chelation, better health and freedom from body odor.

I'm getting some dried cilantro to try it. I take aspirin quite often too so this is good to know.

docall18

When i take liver cleansers such as Vit K2, B6 or high copper foods I get a strong reaction. I get increased temperature (higher cortisol?), need to eat very frequently to maintain blood sugar and insomnia.

I am starting to think this may be from iron (or something else) being released from the liver. The only thing that stops the reactions is high dose zinc. Zinc is supposedly an iron antagonist.

What else can lower iron in the body?

Luann

That study looked like it happened all in one day (fast results)?
That's kind of cool

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
glucuronidation is attaching a molecule onto some waste product so you can pee it out.

Thank you. I see you answered a few similar question in the other threads. I really appreciated it as I cannot answer all the question I get daily and was hoping somebody would step in and fill in the gap.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I looked up glucuronidation on wikipedia but find myself the wiser about it. What is it in a word in our context, and what would one do to promote it?

The nice hamster already answered it before me :):

Luann

Why 60g? A typical girl weighing aboout 65kg would need to take close to 5g of aspirin to achieve that. High, but certainly doable and done before.

Would there be a problem in taking upwards of 3 grams without K2? For a couple of days of course not long term.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Would there be a problem in taking upwards of 3 grams without K2? For a couple of days of course not long term.

It depends on the person's liver health and how prone they are to bleeding. If possible, I would add vitamin K for any intake of aspirin higher than 1g daily.

Philomath

Yes, that's what it says. However, I also posted a study showing aspirin protects the liver from acetaminophen toxicity, as well as from other assaults like alcohol, PUFA oxidation, etc.
So, it could go either way but so far I have not seen a direct study showing the aspirin-iron chelate damages the liver. Btw, the study also says that the same potential damage is inherent in the other iron chelators. There is nothing specific to aspirin that makes the formed iron chelate more dangerous than the one formed by say deferoxamine. It would depend on the dosage of the chelator, with higher doses being more damaging since they would shuttle more iron to the liver.
Lower doses of aspirin (<1g daily) have been shown to lower iron and there was no liver damage.
If the ASA, or any chelator, releases iron from storage and shuttles it to the liver (where iron damage may occur), would it be better to add something like charcoal for protection?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals