Before / After Pictures Of Peaters?

FredSonoma

Hi all,

One thing I have frequently thought about from my past following of "raw vegans" and "paleos" is that I was completely changing my life through reading information online. If I had actually interacted with them in person, I think I would have quickly noticed that they didn't seem healthy, from body composition and general demeanor.

I do feel more comfortable trusting this forum because 1. the people seem to write very well and process a lot of information, 2. people are less testy and argumentative, and 3. the few visible people (Ray Peat, Danny Roddy, and Haidut's voice) seem very healthy.

However, sometimes as I'm staring at my computer, becoming convinced that I need to do this or that, I can't help but feel a little afraid that I am trusting words on a screen.

I have definitely felt benefits from following Peatish ideas, and that is the ultimate testimony. However, on a daily basis, I would say I feel like crap for at least a few hours, and I question if what I'm doing is really going to ever make me vibrantly healthy. I sometimes wonder if I'd be better off following the diet my mom group up on - a traditional Asian diet. Would anyone be willing to share before / after pictures of themselves from following a Peat-ish lifestyle?

answersfound

I'm not going to provide a picture, sorry. But I'll tell you about me, before and after. I grew up looking really pale and just washed out. My skin and hair was very dry, I burned in the sun easily, and I was extremely skinny. This also came with a lot of emotional issues. Now, my hair quality is excellent, my skin has this glow to it, my eyes have more color and I am extremely happy with my weight. Also, my facial structure changed for the better. I used to have crowded teeth and a narrower head. I am 6 ft 180 lbs, and although I may be a bit overweight for my frame, I feel great at this weight. From the day I came across Danny Roddy's The Pear Whisperer as well as Josh Rubin's videos, I knew that this approach was right for me. Even after a lot of time spent doing it wrong and getting no results, I knew in my heart that I just had to trust the process. When you look at Danny, Josh Rubin, or Ray Peat, they just look unbelievably healthy. Some may not like Josh's look, but he always has a lot of energy and he's in a great mood all the time.

This forum can drive you nuts because you start doing things like taking L-lysine or methylene blue, for example, before you adress the basics. A lot of people go way overboard on supplements that can help, but are not necessary. Remember, broda Barnes cured thousands with one supplement, thyroid glandular.

Makrosky

answersfound said:
This forum can drive you nuts because you start doing things like taking L-lysine or methylene blue, for example, before you adress the basics. A lot of people go way overboard on supplements that can help, but are not necessary. Remember, broda Barnes cured thousands with one supplement, thyroid glandular.

What's wrong with L-lysine and methylene blue ? They're quite safe and seem to be almost helpful on their own, wether you take a thyroid supplement or not. LOL, it catched my eye because it's two of the things I'm taking now.

Makrosky

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 I do feel more comfortable trusting this forum because 1. the people seem to write very well and process a lot of information, 2. people are less testy and argumentative, and 3. the few visible people (Ray Peat, Danny Roddy, and Haidut's voice) seem very healthy.
and 4. There's a confirmation bias on this forum that blinds you to other points of view, creating a sense that everything RP says is right. :twisted: :twisted:

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 However, sometimes as I'm staring at my computer, becoming convinced that I need to do this or that, I can't help but feel a little afraid that I am trusting words on a screen.
Meaningful human relationships can bring more health than any kind of diet. :geek:

Last edited by a moderator:
FredSonoma said:
post 109852 I do feel more comfortable trusting this forum

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 I can't help but feel a little afraid that I am trusting words on a screen.

Let me remind you of forum rule number 4 section A:

“While it is permissible to discuss medically-oriented topics, nothing posted here should in any way be interpreted as authoritative medical advice.

While the information provided by knowledgeable members is certainly available for the education of forum members, Ray Peat Forum makes no claim of accuracy and does not endorse suggestions or recommendations set forth here.

For products and services discussed in the forum, Ray Peat Forum or any of its operators or facilitators make any representations with respect to the contents thereof, and specifically disclaim any implied or express warrants of merchantability or fitness for any particular usage, application or purpose.

Ray Peat Forum does not necessarily verify the information in its forums, and therefore, cannot judge the merits or lack thereof, of any offering, information, suggestions, ideas, opinions or advice.”

I like this forum too but you have to come to your own conclusions in the end. Don’t simply blindly trust anyone. Your health is in your own hands.

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 Would anyone be willing to share before / after pictures of themselves from following a Peat-ish lifestyle?

I’m assuming you’re talking about before and after photos of body fat loss because other than that, the only common before and after change would be the health of ones skin, such as bags under eyes, “glowing” skin, etc.

I wouldn’t expect people to post pictures of themselves for a few reasons but mainly because many people here don't care about their body fat percentage. They care more about hormones and mood etc.

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 the few visible people (Ray Peat, Danny Roddy, and Haidut's voice) seem very healthy.

Yes, Peat himself, Danny Roddy and Rob Tuner are the only “Peaters” that I know of where I can see their whole body on a consistent basis. Their skin looks healthy and they are all lean. Haidut is very bright and I’m sure he’s healthy but in the context of body fat, he seems to think that extra body fat is not unhealthy as evidenced by his many posts on body fat being “protective," anti-exercise, and many of his comments. There are many people here who share Haidut's view on body fat. That's not an "attack" on anyone, it's just a simple observational fact that it is the view of many people here. I'm not saying it's wrong or right. Josh Rubin also has this view as well: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8449

Josh Rubin’s skin looks healthy but he has too much adipose tissue, in my opinion. So you're looking for before and after photos of body fat loss in a place where most don't care about it.

Remember that Danny takes 2 whole grains of thyroid daily and has been taking thyroid since 2012. He also walks a lot daily as his lives in the best walkable major city in the U.S.. Rob Turner is a strength and fitness coach, a personal trainer. You'll see Peat say that the last time he exercised was when he went skiing years ago in the documentary OTBOAT. So you could say Rob Turner's approach is a personal trainer mixed Peat style, Haidut is anti-exercise and heavy supplement mixed Peat style, Such_Saturation is pro-high fat, anti-starch, pro certain drugs mixed Peat style, Josh Rubin is pro high body fat with sufficient muscle underneath mixed Peat style, I am pro starch, low fat including saturated, (low fat, not no fat) pro other fiber besides raw carrot, and moderate exercise mixed Peat style, so you have to come to your own "Peat style."

OP
F

FredSonoma

Westside PUFAs said:
post 109881
FredSonoma said:
post 109852 I do feel more comfortable trusting this forum

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 I can't help but feel a little afraid that I am trusting words on a screen.

Let me remind you of forum rule number 4 section A:

“While it is permissible to discuss medically-oriented topics, nothing posted here should in any way be interpreted as authoritative medical advice.

While the information provided by knowledgeable members is certainly available for the education of forum members, Ray Peat Forum makes no claim of accuracy and does not endorse suggestions or recommendations set forth here.

For products and services discussed in the forum, Ray Peat Forum or any of its operators or facilitators make any representations with respect to the contents thereof, and specifically disclaim any implied or express warrants of merchantability or fitness for any particular usage, application or purpose.

Ray Peat Forum does not necessarily verify the information in its forums, and therefore, cannot judge the merits or lack thereof, of any offering, information, suggestions, ideas, opinions or advice.”

I like this forum too but you have to come to your own conclusions in the end. Don’t simply blindly trust anyone. Your health is in your own hands.

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 Would anyone be willing to share before / after pictures of themselves from following a Peat-ish lifestyle?

I’m assuming you’re talking about before and after photos of body fat loss because other than that, the only common before and after change would be the health of ones skin, such as bags under eyes, “glowing” skin, etc.

I wouldn’t expect people to post pictures of themselves for a few reasons but mainly because many people here don't care about their body fat percentage. They care more about hormones and mood etc.

FredSonoma said:
post 109852 the few visible people (Ray Peat, Danny Roddy, and Haidut's voice) seem very healthy.

Yes, Peat himself, Danny Roddy and Rob Tuner are the only “Peaters” that I know of where I can see their whole body on a consistent basis. Their skin looks healthy and they are all lean. Haidut is very bright and I’m sure he’s healthy but in the context of body fat, he seems to think that extra body fat is not unhealthy as evidenced by his many posts on body fat being “protective," anti-exercise, and many of his comments. There are many people here who share Haidut's view on body fat. That's not an "attack" on anyone, it's just a simple observational fact that it is the view of many people here. I'm not saying it's wrong or right. Josh Rubin also has this view as well: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8449

Josh Rubin’s skin looks healthy but he has too much adipose tissue, in my opinion. So you're looking for before and after photos of body fat loss in a place where most don't care about it.

Remember that Danny takes 2 whole grains of thyroid daily and has been taking thyroid since 2012. He also walks a lot daily as his lives in the best walkable major city in the U.S.. Rob Turner is a strength and fitness coach, a personal trainer. You'll see Peat say that the last time he exercised was when he went skiing years ago in the documentary OTBOAT. So you could say Rob Turner's approach is a personal trainer mixed Peat style, Haidut is anti-exercise and heavy supplement mixed Peat style, Such_Saturation is pro-high fat, anti-starch, pro certain drugs mixed Peat style, Josh Rubin is pro high body fat with sufficient muscle underneath mixed Peat style, I am pro starch, low fat including saturated, (low fat, not no fat) pro other fiber besides raw carrot, and moderate exercise mixed Peat style, so you have to come to your own "Peat style."

I'm not so much looking for body fat, but just general signs of well-being - skin tone, facial puffiness, demeanor, etc. I would say I mostly agree about the body fat, I've gained 40 lbs in 4 months but I feel far healthier and people say I look healthier (from 180 lbs to 220 lbs, I'm 6'1'', so I was not underweight before). I guess I'm just looking for comfort that there are people doing this that are healing.

FredSonoma said:
post 109885 I'm not so much looking for body fat, but just general signs of well-being - skin tone, facial puffiness, demeanor, etc. I would say I mostly agree about the body fat, I've gained 40 lbs in 4 months but I feel far healthier and people say I look healthier (from 180 lbs to 220 lbs, I'm 6'1'', so I was not underweight before). I guess I'm just looking for comfort that there are people doing this that are healing.

10 pounds of fat gain per month for 4 months seems pretty stressful to me. If you feel better then that's great. I'm not calling you "fat" but I just want to let you know that at your height and current weight, you're in the "overweight" category for current BMI standards. No, the generic BMI calculator isn't perfect but it's a good basic measure, similar to how temperature and pulse is a good measure for metabolism but can also be confused for high adrenaline causing a high temp. and pulse:

2d167wx.jpg

In my opinion, you shouldn't try to gain any more fat. Strength training increases muscle mass and muscle consumes fat at rest. You could have gained fat to heal but eventually you should start to lean out as your metabolism increases.

Ulla

Hey

When I first heard of Ray Peat I also went googling before/after photos and was kind of disappointed because nothing was found.
After awhile I concluded the same as others wrote before me.
It is not about being shredded it is about being healthy.
I am young, want to look good and feel good. Both aspects are matter to me.

I can also just tell you about myself…
I was thin all my life. I am tall and my constitution is skinny.
During high school I became a little skinny fat but in my jeans I still looked just normal.
Today I am still thin but much more leaner.
If I compare before,after photos there is no significant change to see. It is seen if I am in bathing suit but I will not post photos like that :)

Before low carb I was around 24% body fat, went down on 20%, today I would say I am around 17 %. If matters, my BMI is 18.5.

I had many health issues which some of them were corrected during low carb and the rest are going better now.
- My 3-4 times/year seriously inflamed bladder disappeared.
- I look a little bit younger because my skin isn’t so dry anymore. Before low carb people always said I look older than my age is. I am not 30 yet at the moment. On low carb things improved but after a year of LCHF I started to look older again. Now on Ray Peat I look younger again!
- I always had yellowish nails on my feet and with ridges on. Today my nails are healthy and I didn’t use any cream/oil or something else I have just changed my diet.
- Then I noticed that I have phases when my eyebrows thining. Lately since I am Peaty I have strong eyebrows.
- Don’t have dandruff. That one went away in LCHF but had returned. Now it is completely gone one more time.
- My hair were always strong but when low carbing I went through hair loss (see photo). I corrected this with adding carb - 100g/day. That was a point when going from zero carb to low carb.

- I am still cold in feet, less in hands. My skin before low carb was awful. It is good today but I have some issues with pimples but it is far away from problematic as it was sometimes.

- Low carb: eventually my regeneration from doing sports was worse and was worsening even after I went easy on the activities. With carbs back in my life also that thing improved significantly.

Hm, what else.

- My sleep pattern is better now but I still wake up around 5-6 am. I wish I could sleep till 7 am.

I could go on and on... but bottom line is that I am improving so much on Ray Peat style. Can't wait where I will get.
I still have some issues but so far I am getting better and better.
I was zero carb 6 months, 1,5 year low carb and now 6 months Peaty.

milk_lover

My skin tone has changed to the better, I have glowing skin and my hand and feet nails are pink. I got the best results after I've implemented many of the supplements suggested in the forum. Some people need extra push.

Makrosky

milk said:
post 109922
Of course skinny is more fashionable, and in a narcissistic culture anyone or anything that might steer one away from the sacrosanct ideal of a lean body risks being regarded as downright evil.
:thumbright

Lilac

I am pretty strict about eating a Peat diet, try to get sun or bright light, and reduce stress, and I still don't feel great every day. That said, I don't think I will ever abandon Peating. Why? Because what he says makes sense--it's simple and logical.

I did low-carb paleo and lost the 15 pounds I always wanted to easily, and I loved being thinner and wearing nice clothes. And I felt pretty good. But I started reading about Peat in the forums at Mark's Daily Apple and was intrigued. Chocotaco was a poster there whose posts I got a lot out of, and he was into Peat. I transitioned into Perfect Health Diet, and after adding the carbs back in I felt GREAT for a while. With PHD's intermittent fasting, I lost a few more pounds. But…my feet were still cold. Like blocks of ice at night. And my heart rate was low, 60. From reading Peat, I knew I was hypothyroid, and I couldn't forget his warning of the cause of "the degenerative diseases."

So here I am. The 15 pounds, and maybe a little more, are back. But my heart rate is about 72, and I am never unduly cold. All my thermal robes hang in the closet unused. My hair isn't falling out. A couple of people have complimented me on my skin, even though I'm wearing a lot less makeup (mineral oil!). The last cold I had was December 2014, so I'm closing in on one year.

Again, I don't feel great every day. Sometimes it's general achiness (high estrogen?). I think extending my sleep by an hour would help, but that's easier said than done.

Keep in mind that centuries ago, before pollution, X-rays, and corrupted food supplies, even the richest, most privileged folks grew old and died. Peat doesn't necessarily deliver a miracle cure; sometimes it's just incremental improvements in the quality of your life.

Strongbad

I disagree that we have to be overweight to be healthy with great metabolism. When I was young (late-teens, early 20s), I was very energetic, lean, ripped like surfers and my metabolism was through the roof (super high). I think it was because the metabolism was top-notch that it burns fat off naturally.

Plus, being lean makes me feel good about myself, regardless what society we're in now, narcissists or not.

Ideally, a person should have high metabolism to burn his/her fat off. Live and look like when we were all teens and early 20s.

jaa

I agree Strongbad. The leaner I am, the better I feel (though I doubt I've been below 12% body fat in a long time). And following Peats principals makes it easy to shed weight for me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's being written, but I get a lot of healthy = overweight vibes around here. I don't see how that's in line (long term) with Peat. It seems to me that would lead to fatty liver and high estrogen. I understand that people may gain weight initially as part of regaining metabolism, but I don't think that long term your goal should be to be overweight.

Integral

Admittedly on my end the pictures wouldn't be pretty to say the least, given that I gained around 50 pounds of fat.

Whilst it's rather provocative, I can say with honesty that I'd rather take the weight gain than be in the health state I was in before, which was a living-death.

The weight is a work in progress in my case, and I believe it'll come off in time.

Matty D

Well for me this Peating has been a great experience. :P

Before for 3 years I was on an AIP (Auto Immune Paleo) diet as advised by Datis Kharaazian. I was mainly suffering from cold hands, feet, no libido, muscle wasting and general depression. :cry:

Peating has braught my body back to life. I am gettin up at 5.30AM these days for 1 hour of intense martial arts training and qi gong. This would have never been possible before EVER... My body is definately producing more steroid hormones. My libido is up and I am putting on muscle without much effort.

I have seen improvments on my mental function too. Before I was very dopy (Serotonin?) and I was getting nothing done. These days I am switched on and focused getting stuff done (Dopamine?). :geek:

I am sure I have put on quite a bit of muscle plus some more fat I'd say. But hey after 3 years low sugar I am just celebrating this amazing sweet nutrient in whatever shape or form! :lol: Ice cream, Fructose, Sucrose... Any ose is doing it for me these days!!! :mrgreen:

I love this place. So much value, truth and community here. :hattip to Charlie and the other mods. Thank You!

Hugh Johnson

Before I started Peating I looked like a tall movie star. I had women stop me on the street regularly to tell me how good looking I was. Now, no. I suppose I look OK, but nothing like that.

OP
F

FredSonoma

Hugh Johnson said:
post 112438 Before I started Peating I looked like a tall movie star. I had women stop me on the street regularly to tell me how good looking I was. Now, no. I suppose I look OK, but nothing like that.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not haha

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals