Energy Deficient Thought Patterns

pboy

do you guys think, its sort of what ive picked up on and even noticed with myself, that perhaps when people are unopen to new ideas, or become standoff ish in nature, or when they kind of just overlook or ignore someone trying to inspire them, that maybe this type of behavior is a mental defense mechanism against overspending energy, when in an energy deficient state? Ive noticed sometimes when im feeling really energized, especially with a good amount of sugar and potassium, im much less inclinced to engage in those type of thought patterns, but am even willing to admit more I might be wrong, I can improve, and open up to new information and ideas in a more serious way...also feel a higher tendency to want to smile and give energy to others who look like they might need it. I think nutrition might actually be more important than people even realize...because if people's brains perceive they cant expend extra energy into deeper thoughts, or thoughts that would imply that perhaps they could change or are doing something sup optimal (which hits like a stress), how can things ever really get better? and when people don't have enough energy to smile or help others, even just in spurts, its just a bleak looking situation

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I AGREE 100%. I've found as my metabolism improves and I get better at providing myself with appropriate fuel it builds upon itself and I'm capable of feeling and doing things I never considered before. I used to be stuck and I didn't have the energy to break free now I'm amazed at the calm, capable resilient person I've become. I don't take it for granted either because I had a real stressful family crisis that set me back a bit about 2 months ago. I'm so thrilled that I was able to bounce back so quick instead of being stuck in a negative self perpetuating cycle. I think our brains are so demanding when it comes to fuel that it can sometimes be the first area to falter. The depth of insight and the richness of feeling is such an extraordinary opportunity. I never knew what I was missing.

Suikerbuik

I have the same experience pboy, love most of your posts by the way!!

maybe this type of behavior is a mental defense mechanism against overspending energy
Brain processes take really much energy, indeed think neurons do such things as protective mechanism. Go work for a week straight on without sufficient sleep or just being hypothyroid, your mind will blank and usually 3 times 3 will be 7 or so (brain fog is similar). Often wondered about this too.

How can things ever really get better?
After a nap or good night of sleep people have different thought patterns. It's not that you always be in the state you mentioned, usually it's short. Or after an event that really inspired you, which was within your comfort zone, opening new doors.

a bleak looking situation
Yes and no. When people realize what's all about, and this consciousness is rapidly changing these days. For the large population though more time is needed. Suffering or truly personal events is usually what gets people there in a rapid way. Life is tough (build to survive) and always trying to reach homeostasis. So I see things positive!

jyb

In the consciousness interview, Peat talks about lack of protein too as causing cognitive problems. When I was hypoglycemic prior to improving my health, even holding a conversation could be problematic, it's too much for the brain, so I'd be very defensive and of course nowhere near able to consider new ideas.

J

j.

on the other hand, people consider new ideas often in crisis situations. like people considered ray peat ideas only after becoming extremely sick, hypothyroid, with low brain glucose, oxygen, and co2, etc.

OP
P

pboy

agree with all of you, suiker appreciate the positive attitude, I agree too...when people see a door open up that actually can bring real tangible hope it often improves their outlook. Its a good thing there are people who maintain enough energy and obtain enough knowledge like Peat has to even be able to put out info that can help people...so those in situations like j described can have an easier time finding their way out of the situation

SQu

It's an eye opener,the brain aspect of this. I was sometimes unable to speak. One car trip I 'dozed' for 4 hours but it was close to being passed out. The willingness to consider ideas, cope with criticism, even how introverted you are, we call personality when it's actually energy. I now wonder whether a lot of ripe fruit, eggs, a lot of milk and cheese, a lot of Sun,time outdoors, and not eating more vegetables than I had to as a child, is what made me a creative person. I had a rich imaginative life which defined me as a person. Personality, I thought - but maybe it was just fruit!

J

j.

sueq said:
I now wonder whether a lot of ripe fruit, eggs, a lot of milk and cheese, a lot of Sun,time outdoors, and not eating more vegetables than I had to as a child, is what made me a creative person. I had a rich imaginative life which defined me as a person. Personality, I thought - but maybe it was just fruit!

I think it's your real personality, but the right nutrients allowed you to be healthy to develop your personality. People without personalities probably very often are sick people, but hypothyroidism is often missed, so sick people aren't seen as sick.

narouz

In thinking about personality, consciousness, and nutrition...

I've found myself wondering, vis-a-vis Peat,
if we might generalize about two different kinds
of consciousness or personality or energy:

One fueled by PUFA, starch, meat etc,
and another fruits, sugars, dairy, etc (Peatian stuff).

One relying upon glycolytic metabolism,
the other using a healthy oxidative metabolism.

One producing a lot of lactic acid, estrogen, adrenaline, cortisol, serotonin, etc,
the other stimulating predominantly progesterone, testosterone, CO2, etc.

kiran

There seem to be quite a few different types of "gycolytic personality" though. Think Myers-Brigg Typing.

I also wonder which type an Extrovert would fall under. Peat says estrogen makes him want to talk to people.

OP
P

pboy

that hilarious narouz but probably pretty accurate. kiran I think it depends...cause some people are really extroverted but its in an energy grabbing or attention grabbing way, like more of a trying to take energy vibe, where as someone else could be grounded extroverted and trying to be a good mentor or inspiring type attitude...I guess its more in the underlying tone behind the introvert or extrovert, grounded and giving, or inflamed and attention or energy grabbing

narouz

Peat likes to mock the Darwinian "survival of the fittest"
by revising it to "survival of the meanest."

That might be a starting point in conceiving
two opposing Peatian typologies
(see my earlier post up the thread).

The author Walker Percy had a polarity of types.
I believe he labeled his "bluebird" and "jayhawks."
The nice smart cooperative peaceniks
vs the ornery, aggressive, estrogen-ridden a-holes.
Brother's keepers vs. I Got Mine You Get Yours.
Smart Liberals vs (Ayn) Randian Tea Partiers/Louie Gommerts. (j. bait. :P )

kiran: I'm not suggesting this as a fully-differentiated generalization, typology.
I've been impressed by the Myers-Briggs myself,
and astrological types.

Let's not start drawing dichotomies here :mrgreen: also I thought what Ray Peat was criticizing was the exploitation of the idea of natural selection to justify a dominant position which has not been earned at all. In this context I feel the concept of family is what has been causing problems all along. I will be misunderstood on that, though.

Speaking of Darwin, there's nothing we can mock about his ideas, because all the mechanisms he proposes are embedded in the workings of reality, so they cannot be "unjust". If you read the book he mentions a Creator and a Being more than once. If anything he should inspire intelligent design theory, not the concept of randomness.

narouz

Such_Saturation said:
Let's not start drawing dichotomies here :mrgreen:

Why not? It's fun!

Such_Saturation said:
I thought what Ray Peat was criticizing was the exploitation of the idea of natural selection to justify a dominant position which has not been earned at all.

Yes, I think so.
Peat doesn't think "fittest" should be reduced to "meanest."

sweetly

Reminds me of that Ray Peat quote where he talks about the coffee and cookies in class...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals