Benadryl paradoxical reaction

LJS

Forum Supporter
I recently decided to try Benadryl instead of cypro (cypro made me feel slow and heavy and dry mouth)

I took 12.5mg of snuzaid. (It’s hard to get diphenhydramine hydrochloride where I live).

On the two times I’ve taken it, it has made me super alert, adrenaline surges and unable to sleep. I do not have this with cypro so I’m wondering what is going on? I figure it’s related to my super sensitive gut somehow. It actually made all my shakiness and constant teeth chatter worse (cypro does the opposite)

It feels like it worsened my cortisol, serotonin, histamine response?!

youngsinatra

Acetylcholine is part of the parasympathetic nervous system. Antagonizing it strongly forces the nervous system into a more sympathetic state.

Acetylcholine = Parasympathetic NS
Adrenaline/Noradrenaline = Sympathetic NS

Cypro is a much weaker anticholinergic than Benadryl, and that effect is only really seen in higher doses of Cypro.

toolhead

I recently decided to try Benadryl instead of cypro (cypro made me feel slow and heavy and dry mouth)

I took 12.5mg of snuzaid. (It’s hard to get diphenhydramine hydrochloride where I live).

On the two times I’ve taken it, it has made me super alert, adrenaline surges and unable to sleep. I do not have this with cypro so I’m wondering what is going on? I figure it’s related to my super sensitive gut somehow. It actually made all my shakiness and constant teeth chatter worse (cypro does the opposite)

This paradoxical reaction is not uncommon. Happened to my father the first time I recommended Benedryl for sleep before an important day he had.

He now has no problems with it. Maybe try a smaller dose and work your way up.

Layne

Hi @LJS -- It doesn't sound like Benedryl is a good fit for you. I ran across a testimonial by a man who took one dose of Benedryl, and it gave him permanent tinnitus. You may want to just let it go.

HeyThere

I'm very sensitive to everything but need Benadryl as a relative constant. I take tiny baby sips of the children's version. If I take too much, I get horrible restless legs and I'm up for a long time in misery.

OP
L

LJS

Forum Supporter
@Layne yep cypro works (despite sluggishness) so I’m just leaving it alone. My biggest issue (Along with gut) is adrenaline surges and shakiness so I don’t even want to work my way up!

I also have tinnitus already so thanks for letting me know

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals