Billionaire$ hate this simple trick! What is the best low pufa olive oil?

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

A simple trick I put my olive oil in the fridge, at 4C and obviously most of the oil was hard, I then poured out the rest that was still liquid. This should be the pufa part right? So you can now make your own low pufa olive oil. What is the draw back with this method that I'm missing?

tankasnowgod

Mike Fave, or so, the co host of @Hans podcast mentioned a low pufa oil. Hydrogenation affects mufa too. You get a solid block of saturated fats maybe with some olive flavour.
True, depending on how far they take the hydrogenation. Hydrogenated Peanut Oil, for example, has very low PUFA (0.47%), but still quite a bit of Oleic Acid. If they fully hydrogenated it, it would be 70-80% stearic acid.

This video goes into it more-

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7oZMxda18

Mauritio

I found one that has 2g of SFAs and 1g of PUFAs per tablespoon. That's really low pufa, but the ratio is still the same...
I think it has really high oleic acid content .

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I found one that has 2g of SFAs and 1g of PUFAs per tablespoon. That's really low pufa, but the ratio is still the same...
I think it has really high oleic acid content .
I can't imagine if this is a lot or little, how much is a spoon? I'm a metric or percentage guy, sorry.

P.S. This the one Mike Fave mentioned, thanks!

Mauritio

I can't imagine if this is a lot or little, how much is a spoon? I'm a metric or percentage guy, sorry.
I miscalculated it . Its actually average.

I emailed mike and he said he doesnt use a specific brand or one that is available online . It's from a local shop.

Ben.

A simple trick I put my olive oil in the fridge, at 4C and obviously most of the oil was hard, I then poured out the rest that was still liquid. This should be the pufa part right? So you can now make your own low pufa olive oil. What is the draw back with this method that I'm missing?

This is even recommended without regards to the pufa (fats) as keeping it cold preserves alot of the benefitial compounds in the olive oil. Can't remember where i've read it but apparantly alot of the benefitial stuff is gone within weeks of the bottle being opened and stored at room temperature.

Mauritio

I made some posts about the policosanol content of different olive oils. They can vary a lot depending on origin and extraction method/time of the year !
But I still haven't found the perfect one.

I'd like a good analysis containing pufa, sfa , polyphenols, policosanol ,etc. Of certain types of commercial olive oils

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

I made some posts about the policosanol content of different olive oils. They can vary a lot depending on origin and extraction method/time of the year !
But I still haven't found the perfect one.

I'd like a good analysis containing pufa, sfa , polyphenols, policosanol ,etc. Of certain types of commercial olive oils
Policosanol in olive oil? I missed this one. You mentioned honey comb as a good source for policos and I could then justify the extra money for honey comb. Always wondered why honey in comb is better in terms of taste and post well-being as the wax seem void of nutritional value.

OP
Michael Mohn

Michael Mohn

This is even recommended without regards to the pufa (fats) as keeping it cold preserves alot of the benefitial compounds in the olive oil. Can't remember where i've read it but apparantly alot of the benefitial stuff is gone within weeks of the bottle being opened and stored at room temperature.
OK. I always heard olive oil should be stored not too cold but they probably had more practical reasons in mind.

Mauritio

Policosanol in olive oil? I missed this one. You mentioned honey comb as a good source for policos and I could then justify the extra money for honey comb. Always wondered why honey in comb is better in terms of taste and post well-being as the wax seem void of nutritional value.
Yes , I think its somewhere in the policosanol thread. Quite substantial amounts of it actually .

Ben.

OK. I always heard olive oil should be stored not too cold but they probably had more practical reasons in mind.

Yes its realy unpractical because it gets solid, in a bottle that is ment to pour liquid.
I guess if i were to "follow" the advice of putting it in the fridge, i would put the majority of the oil in a container where i can spoon it out like butter and keep the amount of oil that i'll be using within the next days in the original bottle at room temperature.

I also like the "ridding of pufa" attempt you described above.

Dr. B

Yes , I think its somewhere in the policosanol thread. Quite substantial amounts of it actually .
isnt it beeswax not honey comb with policosanol

I miscalculated it . Its actually average.

I emailed mike and he said he doesnt use a specific brand or one that is available online . It's from a local shop.

costco has a very expensive extra virgin organic 'raw' unfiltered olive oil

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals