Brewer's Yeast A Cure For Diabetes And More..

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Lectins can affect function throughout the body. In the book Lectins by Nathan Sharon, lectins in the form of lima and kidney beans lead to “…depressed growth, pancreas enlargement, depressed insulin, and disruption of normal protein, fat, and carbohydrate intermediary metabolism.””

apr

Rinse & RePeat:
“Did your dad take it as a suppliment or as a meal?”

RAY PEAT:
“It was his only food for a few weeks.”
Going over this thread again as my insulin is rising.

Could it be that Peat's father improved because he was basically fasting? And had little to do with the brewer's yeast.

No food for two weeks would heal just about anything I would assume.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Going over this thread again as my insulin is rising.

Could it be that Peat's father improved because he was basically fasting? And had little to do with the brewer's yeast.

No food for two weeks would heal just about anything I would assume.
That is hard to say, and I am learning towards I don’t think so, otherwise we would be hearing people doing the Master Cleanse Diet, drinking only lemon water with maple syrup and cayenne pepper, healing diabetes, and we are not. I know adding brewer’s yeast to a diet wouldn’t do it alone either, so maybe the combo, with the brewer’s yeast having everything to support the fast?

apr

That is hard to say, and I am learning towards I don’t think so, otherwise we would be hearing people doing the Master Cleanse Diet, drinking only lemon water with maple syrup and cayenne pepper, healing diabetes, and we are not. I know adding brewer’s yeast to a diet wouldn’t do it alone either, so maybe the combo, with the brewer’s yeast having everything to support the fast?
Makes sense.

I am in a conundrum trying to understand this. I test normal fasting blood sugar always. My A1C is normal. But my insulin keeps rising (in double digits now).

Is this considered pre diabetes or diabetes with the other markers being normal?

I have quite a bit of abdominal fat I am trying to lose but have found it almost impossible (71 yr old female). Within Peat parameters I have tried low starch, lower calories with no food group restrictions and all sorts of other combos to no avail.

We do eat out a lot but I usually try to pick dishes in restaurants where I know they use olive oils (greek, Italian etc) and try to avoid PUFA oils but I know I am probably PUFA laden anyway from years of it prior to finding Peat. At home I only use coconut oil and ghee.

I am worried about the insulin and do not know what else to do (exercise also has not budged it).

Am tempted to go low carb but I freak out just thinking about it.....knowing what I now know. Tried low fat and couldn't handle the hunger.

Anybody else like this? High insulin but normal blood sugar.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Makes sense.

I am in a conundrum trying to understand this. I test normal fasting blood sugar always. My A1C is normal. But my insulin keeps rising (in double digits now).

Is this considered pre diabetes or diabetes with the other markers being normal?

I have quite a bit of abdominal fat I am trying to lose but have found it almost impossible (71 yr old female). Within Peat parameters I have tried low starch, lower calories with no food group restrictions and all sorts of other combos to no avail.

We do eat out a lot but I usually try to pick dishes in restaurants where I know they use olive oils (greek, Italian etc) and try to avoid PUFA oils but I know I am probably PUFA laden anyway from years of it prior to finding Peat. At home I only use coconut oil and ghee.

I am worried about the insulin and do not know what else to do (exercise also has not budged it).

Am tempted to go low carb but I freak out just thinking about it.....knowing what I now know. Tried low fat and couldn't handle the hunger.

Anybody else like this? High insulin but normal blood sugar.
The restaurants are a problem no matter what you think you are doing. I don’t trust Olive oil at the grocery store, much less a restaurant. Olive oil is commonly mixed with unsaturated oils, even in Italy and Greece it is allowed. I avoid it altogether and only use it if it is American made and I pay a high price for the better stuff. I am a pretty strict Peater and I can’t find much acceptable at a restaurant, so I am betting that that is your biggest problem. I was at my very worst when I wrote restaurant reviews. I ate at high end places and didn’t eat a lot, taking home the leftovers, but it was just a pure PUFA experience. In my area there are only 3 restaurants I will allow myself to eat at because I can find at one or two things fairly decent, and even those dishes are not optimal. I am sure this is your problem, and then adding that to bad fat you are storing is not a good combo.

apr

The restaurants are a problem no matter what you think you are doing. I don’t trust Olive oil at the grocery store, much less a restaurant. Olive oil is commonly mixed with unsaturated oils, even in Italy and Greece it is allowed. I avoid it altogether and only use it if it is American made and I pay a high price for the better stuff. I am a pretty strict Peater and I can’t find much acceptable at a restaurant, so I am betting that that is your biggest problem. I was at my very worst when I wrote restaurant reviews. I ate at high end places and didn’t eat a lot, taking home the leftovers, but it was just a pure PUFA experience. In my area there are only 3 restaurants I will allow myself to eat at because I can find at one or two things fairly decent, and even those dishes are not optimal. I am sure this is your problem, and then adding that to bad fat you are storing is not a good combo.
Ugh.

You are probably right. I live outside USA and the lifestyle here is eating out with friends every weekend, plus lunches with girlfriends etc. Almost impossible to avoid. I know if I were really really serious about this, I would ditch the eating out and just eat at home....but that makes for a very miserable life at 71. lol. Since I am not going to change my lifestyle drastically nor impose that on my husband, I have to find a way to mitigate the damage when I eat out....and supplement Via E. I am being honest in saying that it is more important for me now to enjoy the remainder of my life. I avoid fast foods and questionable restaurants with prepackaged foods. We gravitate toward ethnic food....lebanese, Italian, greek, Spanish. While not perfect, better than most. I am in the tropics so I get great fruit and drink organic milk and cheeses at home.

So putting that aside.......I guess my biggest question is what does the high insulin mean in the absence of high blood sugar? Do I still look at this as a diabetic issue? Could other things be driving it up?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@apr some of the things I order in a restaurant is Carne Asada, ala carte, at a Mexican restaurant, and I will use the fresh salsa on it, and my splurge will be a cheese enchilada on the side. I don’t eat the endless chips, rice and beans. I have been known to bring my own swaps to restaurants too, like sliced radishes for the guacamole or I fry my own masa chips at home in refined coconut oil and put them in a brown paper sack, which keeps them crunchy, and they taste so much better too. I always order a regular iced tea, not the presweetened sweet tea, and I add lots of sugar, at lunchtime instead of the corn syrup laden Coke. I have a high end tequila martini with my dinners, no mixers, as the pure tequila helps with digestion and kills pathogens. The other night my dinner was bacon wrapped dates, which had lots of bleu cheese on the plate and gad it with an order of meatballs, while the time before I had crème brûlée as part of my main course with the bacon dates instead of the meatballs. At Italian places I tend towards the “caprice” mozzarella salad, the manicotti, if I can find it made with the thin crepe rather than the noodle, or even Angel hair pasta which has less starch than the other thicker noodle dishes. Pizza I order thin crust and don’t eat the ends. I order things like a Philly cheese steak sandwich without the bread, which I ends up getting me more sandwich filling so I don’t even miss the bread. Japanese restaurants give me a few more choices, while navigating Thai food is a little more difficult and Chinese restaurants are out of the question altogether. I won’t go to fast food or chain restaurant period. I know it may sound picky to be this way, and those that are around me use to think so, but I see it as elevating myself, and now my friends get it, seeing I look healthy and vibrant.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
So putting that aside.......I guess my biggest question is what does the high insulin mean in the absence of high blood sugar? Do I still look at this as a diabetic issue? Could other things be driving it up?
I am not a diabetic expert @apr, but I did learn quite a bit with my sister and her blood sugar meter, experimenting. Her doctor was impressed with her meter results and especially her food lig, seeing she was eating a big variety of foods that was not on her recommended food list, the doctor gave her. So her doctor told her she was not going to refer her to a dietician and said, “Whatever your sister is having you do keep doing it”. She was well out of the woods, no longer near diabetic, and had lost 17 pounds at that time, and eventually lost 100 pounds within a year. It was all in her food pairings and portion control. For myself, I usually eat well before going out to eat, filling up on my grass-fed raw milk, so that hunger doesn’t get me eating more restaurant food than I intend. I don’t add extra fats to my meals either, with the coconut oil, that is a little counter productive, in my opinion, to losing fat. So I think back to your original question, Ray Peat’s father cured his diabetes not overloading his diabetic issues bombarding it with lots of food, and complicated combinations. Eat simply, and less. Don’t eat meals out that come with sides. Order entrees Ala carte, or just have a couple of sides instead like scalloped potatoes and some grilled asparagus for dinner, as an example. I know you want to enjoy your later years, but indulgence comes with a trade off, and it is not going to be fun when it comes time to pay the Piper. As much as I love food, I had to learn to tame those desires, and the result is much more gratifying than the moment of unhealthy chewing and swallowing I could have had. I am happy in my skin and don’t feel regretful enjoying my time out. A moment on the lips and forever on hips and diabetes on top of that is not NOT worth it.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This was posted elsewhere by @seppl. Ray Peat always did say to cook vegetables thoroughly. I have to admit I do miss those refreshing and crunchy PUFA laden salads….

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“D-mannose is being increasingly used as an effective alternative to antibiotics for various conditions. A simple sugar, d-mannose is found naturally in high amounts in many fruits such as apples, oranges, and peaches, as well as blueberries and cranberries. Vegetables, including green beans, cabbage, and broccoli, are also a common source. In addition, d-mannose occurs naturally in some cells in the human body and is thought to be a prebiotic, because consumption of d-mannose stimulates and fosters the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract.”

Chemically, d-mannose is considered a simple sugar. Structurally, it is similar to glucose, but it is absorbed more slowly in the gastrointestinal tract. This accounts for its lower glycemic index. Compared with actual glucose, which is readily absorbed and has a glycemic index of 100, mannose must first be converted into fructose and then into glucose, significantly blunting the insulin response and reducing its impact on blood sugar levels. After mannose is absorbed by the gut, it is not stored in the liver like glucose but is filtered out of the body directly by the kidneys. “

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Compared with actual glucose, which is readily absorbed and has a glycemic index of 100, mannose must first be converted into fructose and then into glucose, significantly blunting the insulin response and reducing its impact on blood sugar levels.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This may be the key to why the brewers yeast cured Ray Peat’s father in just two weeks @apr. i posted more about mannose right above this post….

“The brewer's yeast cell-wall contains a high proportion (15-30% of the dry cell mass) of cross-linked polysaccharides, mainly mannose oligosaccharides and β-glucan [9, 10].”

apr

This may be the key to why the brewers yeast cured Ray Peat’s father in just two weeks @apr. i posted more about mannose right above this post….

“The brewer's yeast cell-wall contains a high proportion (15-30% of the dry cell mass) of cross-linked polysaccharides, mainly mannose oligosaccharides and β-glucan [9, 10].”
Thank you for your comments. I took d mannose once for UTI issues then dropped it....will have to revisit.

I really don't "indulge" in restaurants. I have a lot of restraint most of the time. I just am not willing to give up going out with friends to eat. I mitigate the best way I can, like you. At the same time, if nothing healthy is available, I will just eat the junk because I do not want to be obsessed about this. I have been following Peat for decades and have seen a lot of people sabotage themselves with orthorexia.

I do not have diabetes. Nor high blood sugar. and glyncinated hemoglobin is normal range.

My original post is concerning what other things could cause such a drastic rise in Insulin? And does a rise in insulin automatically mean diabetes is next? Other than exercise, what else could lower insulin other than kept diet?

I could stand to lose 20 lbs and know that will help....but up till now exercise is doing niente!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you for your comments. I took d mannose once for UTI issues then dropped it....will have to revisit.

I really don't "indulge" in restaurants. I have a lot of restraint most of the time. I just am not willing to give up going out with friends to eat. I mitigate the best way I can, like you. At the same time, if nothing healthy is available, I will just eat the junk because I do not want to be obsessed about this. I have been following Peat for decades and have seen a lot of people sabotage themselves with orthorexia.

I do not have diabetes. Nor high blood sugar. and glyncinated hemoglobin is normal range.

My original post is concerning what other things could cause such a drastic rise in Insulin? And does a rise in insulin automatically mean diabetes is next? Other than exercise, what else could lower insulin other than kept diet?

I could stand to lose 20 lbs and know that will help....but up till now exercise is doing niente!
I would say light exercise, like brisk walking or lifting light weights would be beneficial, but with my sister’s situation it was food pairings that made the biggest difference, in getting her off of that borderline diabetic situation.

apr

I would say light exercise, like brisk walking or lifting light weights would be beneficial, but with my sister’s situation it was food pairings that made the biggest difference, in getting her off of that borderline diabetic situation.
Could you elaborate more on the food pairings please?
Did she lower calories?
Exercise?

Thank you

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Could you elaborate more on the food pairings please?
Did she lower calories?
Exercise?

Thank you
My sister did not exercise at all. She avoided grains and paired fruit, mostly berries, with her proteins. She did not count any calories. This was before I discovered Ray Peat, about 7 years ago. The protein sugar pairings are really important to keep blood sugar levels from crashing with just proteins, and the opposite is the case with sugar splurges needing protein. Once my sister didn’t eat enough sugar and her blood sugar dipped to almost passing out. I fed her ice cream and chocolate to bring it back up. That was a little scary.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Aspirin, which is antilipolytic, decreasing the release of free fatty acids, as well as inhibiting their conversion to prostaglandins, lowers the production of stress-induced aldosterone, and helps to lower blood pressure, if it's taken in the evening, to prevent the increase of free fatty acids during the night. Aspirin increases insulin sensitivity. A low salt diet increases the free fatty acids, leading to insulin resistance, increasing free fatty acids in the blood, and contributing to atherosclerosis “ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The supplements that most often help to correct diabetes-like conditions are niacinamide, thiamine, thyroid, and progesterone or pregnenolone. Vitamins D and K are clearly protective against developing diabetes, and their effects on many regulatory processes suggest that they would also help to correct existing hyperglycemia.“ -Ray Peat

apr

“The supplements that most often help to correct diabetes-like conditions are niacinamide, thiamine, thyroid, and progesterone or pregnenolone. Vitamins D and K are clearly protective against developing diabetes, and their effects on many regulatory processes suggest that they would also help to correct existing hyperglycemia.“ -Ray Peat
Thank you for the additional info.

Sadly I cannot take aspirin....it eats a hole in my stomach. Have tried all the suggested ways of reducing this to no avail.
I do take thiamine, Vit D, Progesterone and K....even though I do not have hyperglycemia. I eat salt freely.

My issue is not hyperglycemia. My blood sugars are stable and I can go 4 hrs without eating with no symptoms....so no hypo either. Biomarkers for diabetes are all in normal ranges.

My issue is high insulin. Since pandemic to now it just keeps rising and I have developed quite a gut. I walk daily and watch what I eat.

I do not know what else causes a rise in insulin if diet is good. Cortisol? Stress? Adrenaline? I also do not know how to differentiate between feeling high cortisol vs high adrenaline.

As a side note...my ENdO took me off thyroid meds which I had taken for decades. Oddly enough my labs are all in normal range so on paper I look good. That was around 2021 (pandemic) because I had an SVT and she blamed the thyroid meds on that....stating that a 71 yr old female should not get so much thyroid stimulation because it affects the heart. She had me on T4 but I bought T3 on the side and she was not aware thankfully. I did what she said because the SVT scared me and I ended up in ER with pulse of 220. I am thinking maybe lack of thyroid could be causing high insulin?

Really stuck

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals