Caffeine Inhibits Collagen Sysnthesis

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5487

Caffeine reduces collagen synthesis in human cultured skin fibroblasts. HA did not have any significant protective effect on this process. This is the first study to our knowledge that reports caffeine-induced inhibition of collagen synthesis in human skin fibroblasts.

Does anyone have a response to this or can debuke? Seems like it ages you. But I am no expert at understanding scientific articles.

tomisonbottom

No need to debunk; that's a good thing.

Like most subjects, the mainstream and advertisers have it backwards. They like to say collagen is a good thing; but actually it increases with age, so inhibition is a great thing, imo.

Gelatin, stress, longevity

"Inflammation produces fibrosis, because stress, hypoxia, and inadequate supply of glucose stimulate the fibroblasts to produce increased amounts of collagen"

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Like most subjects, the mainstream and advertisers have it backwards. They like to say collagen is a good thing; but actually it increases with age, so inhibition is a great thing, imo.

"Inflammation produces fibrosis, because stress, hypoxia, and inadequate supply of glucose stimulate the fibroblasts to produce increased amounts of collagen"
Great answer thanks.

Peater Piper

Whole body collagen may increase with age, but specifically pertaining to skin collagen, it seems to decline with age. Skin collagen has a faster turnover rate than elsewhere in the body.

Decreased Collagen Production in Chronologically Aged Skin : Roles of Age-Dependent Alteration in Fibroblast Function and Defective Mechanical Stimulation

Ulysses

There are at least 16 different types of collagen, the most common being types I, II, III, and IV. Caffeine might reduce the synthesis of some types, but not of others, which could be helpful in certain conditions. For example, one factor in the onset of varicose vein disease is an imbalance between collagen types, where the vein walls contain too much of type I and not enough of type III.

Given caffeine's other effects on metabolism I would bet that it improves the user's balance of collagen types. However, I don't have any evidence to support this -- because of how keyword searches work, it's very difficult to find published studies that address the effects of different collagen subtypes.

Just pointing out that more is not necessarily better. You generally want less collagen I in your veins, not more.

Daft

Interesting. Considering caffeine increases cortisol acutely - and I'm pretty sure I've read it still does so in long term user - I suspect some mechanisms whereby its excess seems to worsen skin quality, and the collagen suppression could ultimately relate to that. Especially if you have it without eating enough, thereby enlisting your stress hormones to release FFA's, glycogen and in particular amino acids from non essential organs such as skin to meet the increased metabolic demand.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

I've been experiementing with isolated glycine and proline. Supposedly the body makes Hydroxproline quite easily useing vitamin C and theres plenty or Argine in the diet.=Collagen

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals