Calming Food Fears & Sugar

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I think an organic true French croissant deserves a place in this thread! If you can find one it practically has no flour in it, which means it is loaded with butyric acid. There is no trouble distinguishing a grocery store croissant and a true, high butter content, French croissant. The latter, fresh out of the oven one, melts in your mouth with every bite!

"For example, if your recipe contained 10 pounds of flour and 2 pounds of milk, you'd say the milk was at 20 percent of the flour. A formula in percentage format can be easily scaled up or down to any batch size, and the baker can tell at a glance how it compares to the ratios in other recipes.

Bring on the Butter

The bland croissants made at many commercial bakeries can have as little as 15 to 25 percent butter, which makes them profitable but hardly inspiring. The classic French croissant has twice that much, with traditional recipes usually containing 45 to 55 percent butter by weight. In plain language, your flour weighs roughly twice as much as the butter. Deluxe versions of the basic croissant dough can incorporate as much as 75 to 80 percent butter, but they can be difficult for the unwary or inexperienced."

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
There is no vitamin C in defatted peanut flour, butter, or the whole raw nuts. However, all sources of peanuts are a good source of several B vitamins.

Per USDA data, 1 ounce of defatted peanut butter powder contains:

6 mg of niacin (38% of daily value)
4 mcg of folate (17%)
2 mg of thiamin (13%)
1 mg of riboflavin (8%)
8 mg of pantothenic acid (8%)
1 mg of B6 (7%)

Attachments

• F495E3D1-C797-4E02-A6CC-6DE1976EFA4D.jpeg
    F495E3D1-C797-4E02-A6CC-6DE1976EFA4D.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Consider this: according to U.S. law, reduced fat milk must have vitamin D and vitamin A added to it. Many of the contaminants in the vitamins themselves are possible sources of allergies to commercial milk, not the milk itself. Whole milk, which many people choose to avoid, is actually the most likely to be allergen free! Carrageenan is also commonly used in milk products as a thickening agent. But carrageenan is a powerful allergen that can cause a reaction similar to latex allergy.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is why if I am going to have a wheat splurge my first choice is an organic croissant (or a yeast free sourdough bread made with starter). Unlike bread and pizza crust, a croissant is packed with “Peaty” butter, milk and sugar. This recipe below makes 24 croissants. That is about two tablespoons of flour per croissant.

Attachments

• 0A0E2BAE-51D8-415B-964F-49051B0824E8.png
    0A0E2BAE-51D8-415B-964F-49051B0824E8.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Exposure to excessive cortisol or hypoglycemia is able to quickly produce cataracts, showing the basic importance of glucose metabolism for lens health.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Awesome Rinse. Thanks for the inspirational pics.

Questions:
- Is peanut butter used in the cups PBFit?
- What ingredient to you use to make the crisp part of the apple-peach crisp?

I don’t know what PBFit is? For the crisp I use a half cup of oat flour with one half cup heirloom Jovial all- purpose flour. I am pushing that ratio to 2/3 cup of oat flour next time to 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour. I have made it with all oat flour, which just doesn’t crisp up well. I think I could try the all oat flour again l, but reduce the butter and maybe do a half whole oats and half oat flour blend and it might work out without the wheat. I will do some more experimenting with it this weekend and let you know it goes.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Many tropical fruits, besides having relatively saturated fats, are also low in iron, and often contain important quantities of amino acids and proteins. In this context, Jeanne Calment's life-long, daily consumption of chocolate comes to mind: As she approaches her 121st birthday, she is still eating chocolate, though she has stopped smoking and drinking wine. The saturated fats in chocolate have been found to block the toxicity of oils rich in linoleic acid, and its odd proteins seem to have an anabolic action.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:

“I see a lot of studies demonizing sugar, but in the studies they use high fructose corn sugar, is that a fair study?”

RAY PEAT:

“No, only demons would claim such things to be scientific.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:

“I see a lot of studies demonizing sugar, but in the studies they use high fructose corn sugar, is that a fair study?”

RAY PEAT:

“No, only demons would claim such things to be scientific.”

RAY PEAT:
“The people who do those experiments are participating in, effectively, a big cultural conspiracy. Looking at the history of nutrition research, the demonization of cholesterol and sugar began under the influence of industries and government with ulterior motives.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I think most of my health problems started when I was taking Omega-3 fish oil in my early 20s *facepalm*.. and of course following the mainstream diet devoid of real nutrients - i.e. limiting sugar, dairy. Wish I found out about Peat earlier.
As a kid I loved sweets/chocolate/fruits/milk and I developed pretty well then.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is a product that I found that makes for a good splurge without all the PUFA’s. These are so good for only 15 starch carbs per roll and good saturated and mono saturated fats!

Attachments

• CE32C62D-AA72-4862-BD2C-8851BABC71C2.jpeg
    CE32C62D-AA72-4862-BD2C-8851BABC71C2.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 1A3A34AF-6BB5-4B2C-B6D6-B88903423B77.jpeg
    1A3A34AF-6BB5-4B2C-B6D6-B88903423B77.jpeg
    747.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is another decent product. With what little PUFA that is in it, I figure pairing it with the saturated fat in cheese will offset it!

Attachments

• 6502827B-3179-4B21-A4BD-C6EC96F5AD0B.jpeg
    6502827B-3179-4B21-A4BD-C6EC96F5AD0B.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 8EB82AC2-A65B-453E-8414-A0CAFD9791E8.jpeg
    8EB82AC2-A65B-453E-8414-A0CAFD9791E8.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 17
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Diabetes was named for the excessive urination it causes, and for the sugar in the urine. It was called the sugar disease, and physicians were taught that sugar was the problem. Patients were ordered to avoid sweet foods, and in hospitals they were sometimes locked up to keep them from finding sweets. The practice was derived from ideology, not from any evidence that the treatment helped.

In 1857, M. Piorry in Paris and William Budd in Bristol, England, reasoned that if a patient was losing a pound of sugar every day in 10 liters of urine, and was losing weight very rapidly, and had an intense craving for sugar, it would be reasonable to replace some of the lost sugar, simply because the quick weight loss of diabetes invariably led to death. Keeping patients from eating what they craved seemed both cruel and futile.

After Budd's detailed reports of a woman's progressive recovery over a period of several weeks when he prescribed 8 ounces of sugar every day, along with a normal diet including beef and beef broth, a London physician, Thomas Williams, wrote sarcastically about Budd's metaphysical ideas, and reported his own trial of a diet that he described as similar to Budd's. But after two or three days he decided his patients were getting worse, and stopped the experiment.

Williams' publication was presented as a scientific refutation of Budd's deluded homeopathic ideas, but Budd hadn't explained his experiment as anything more than an attempt to slow the patient's death from wasting which was sure to be the result of losing so much sugar in the urine. The following year Budd described another patient, a young man who had become too weak to work and who was losing weight at an extreme rate. Budd's prescription included 8 ounces of white sugar and 4 ounces of honey every day, and again, instead of increasing the amount of glucose in the urine, the amount decreased quickly as the patient began eating almost as much sugar as was being lost initially, and then as the loss of sugar in the urine decreased, the patient gained weight and recovered his strength.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Looking back on my own childhood I ate lots of fruit roll-ups, sugar cereals, ice cream, and always had a big glass of Tropicana orange juice first thing in the morning (curiously I continued this up until adulthood: a big glass of oj just felt right, but then I got into the whole new-agey gravy train of limiting sugars and any fruit must be consumed in it's raw state, so out went the carton oj). Of course there was always some very sugary cereal (Golden Crisp, Lucky Charms, Corn Pops) with lots of milk that started the day. I suppose it wasn't the grains in the cereal that was craved, but the sugar and milk - grains always just seemed to be a filler to serve up the sugar. Jello was also a staple nearly every night and I never grew tired of it. Coffee ice cream was one of my favorite flavors in fact until my parents said I shouldn't have it because of the caffeine, even though they were perfectly ok with the whole family slurping up a fully caffeinated 2 liter bottle of pepsi a day back then.) Lobster night with boatloads of melted butter was probably my favorite *meat* night. It all seems very Peat friendly to me, with the exception of breads, however with my own daughter, she tends to only really like a slice of bread with a big slab of butter.

It's interesting that we gravitate towards these foods when we are young, and it isn't until we approach adulthood that we begin to neurotically restrict the types of foods we eat and force ourselves to eat more salads and strictly avoid sugars and saturated fats.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When most people think of maple syrup, “healthy” might be the last word to come to mind. The amount of sweet, delicious sugar reminds us of eating similar snacks like cupcakes or an irresistible Snickers bar. But what if I told you that real maple syrup is actually immensely healthy for you? A recent maple syrup study has shown that the delicious liquid contains a molecule called quebecol, which has anti-inflammatory properties. The purpose of anti-inflammatory substances are simple; they work to reduce inflammation! There are many diseases, disorders, and pathologies that plague people with inflammation. Common inflammatory-based conditions include psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, periodontal diseases, asthma, atherosclerosis (caused by high cholesterol), cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, and even cancer! Would you have thought that maple syrup could help these conditions?

The study looked at how the molecule in maple syrup, quebecol, affected known substances in the human body that relate to inflammation. The experiments showed that quebecol was effective in preventing many of these substances from causing inflammation, further concluding that it is a great anti-inflammatory agent.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals