Can Taurine Cause Hair Loss?

Rand56

Long time lurker here. Taurine gives me insomnia. I know, sounds contradictory, but it has some kind of a build up effect with me, and someone else on another forum speculated it might be because of a rebound effect of glutamate..homeostasis kind of thing. Don't know if this is true, but I'll go with it in my case LOL.

I like those Rockstar energy drinks, but if I have one for like 3 consecutive days, the insomnia starts to kick in. I've taken the powder on it's own before with the same effect. I know its not the caffeine because I'm a regular coffee drinker.

That's interesting about it raising prolactin, I did not know that.

Rand56

dopaminergic substances can cause insomnia

That's interesting too. Wellbutrin also gives me insomnia. Question though, if its a dopaminergic, then why would it raise prolactin? Seems the opposite would be true, but I'm no expert on the matter.

ilikecats

That's interesting too. Wellbutrin also gives me insomnia. Question though, if its a dopaminergic, then why would it raise prolactin? Seems the opposite would be true, but I'm no expert on the matter.
exactly that is why there is so much confusion in this thread. The study that was posted in regards to prolactin and taurine involved injecting taurine into specific parts of a rats brain i believe. I dont really see how this proves that oral taurine increases prolactin in humans (i still think taurine lowers prolactin...). But prolactin antagonizes dopamine so i think sometimes prolactin is increased with certain dopaminergic substances in an effort to reach homeostasis. Nicotine is very dopaminergic and it can acutely increase prolactin but smokers who smoke more then 10 cigarettes a day (20mg of nicotine) have significantly lower prolactin levels then none smokers. I think there is a study posted on here how dopamine agonists act as prolactin antagonists AND agonists but if i recall it was kind of over my head and i didnt understand it completely.... Everyone has different reactions. i remember some poster getting high prolactin symotoms from Mucuna Pruriens even though it was been shown to significantly lower prolactin (i think by like 33%) 0 in human studies. So yeah.... this kind of reminds me of the stupid theory that limiting orgasms will lower prolactin... The increase in prolactin is small and transitory and it is there to counteract the massive amount of dopamine that gets produced during sexual arousal. Exercising you're libido/sexuality leads to higher dopamine levels in the long run i believe... but that's another story.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Fletcher

Taurine raises prolactin, tread carefully. :hattip
For me this means taurine makes Charlie's hair fall out, in his current state. Not that it makes everyone's hair fall out. In time it might not make Charlie's hair fall out, depending on what his state is then. I mention this because it's easy to look for blanket cures. What is more important is to test things for yourself and measure the results. Once you realise this you can discard things quickly if they don't work, instead of sticking senselessly with what is not working only because other people say it works for them.

johnwester130

Hormones only cause shedding.

male-pattern baldness is caused by a tightened galea and skull shape.

DKayJoe

By this do you mean the susceptibility for hairloss is mediated by a tight galea and skull shape?

If so I agree, however, I'm sure some sort of internal process gradually distorts head shape anyway, I've always had a 'dome' shape seem in MPB sufferers, however I'm sure as the years have gone on my dome has elevated, this may however be due to thinning over the scalp.

DKayJoe

I was taking 1-3 grams daily of Nutrabio taurine.

I'm sure Taurine pushes up testosterone production quite substantially, this could in turn end up aromatising into Estrogen which could then elevate Prolactin indirectly, thus having the unwanted effect of hairloss.
Maybe try lowering/splitting your dose and see what happens? When I was taking Taurine it increased my Acne quite a bit (or at least helped however I was taking it in conjunction with Progesterone/DHEA) but it seemed to actually help reduce shedding. I was taking 5g (Now foods powdered form) a day but mixed into lemon juice, I just slowly sipped throughout the day so it took me 12hours to finish the 5g.

Elephanto

Lmao if hormones had nothing to do with male baldness, it wouldn't be specific to a gender. Hormones influence everything in the body, the uptake of calcium leading to potential calcification, anabolic effects on bone that may tend the skull towards deformities, they also impact pro and anti-inflammatory immune cytokines known to influence male pattern baldness like Il-6, tnf-a. They also affect known indicators of cancer restraint like IGFBP3 and PTEN and cancer growth like IGF1, akt, VEGF also known to be involved in male baldness (high igf1/igfbp3 ratio in Mcgill study).

natedawggh

Yeah I don't really believe that taurine raises prolactin, and I've experienced hair thickening while having taken it for the last two years and at high doses. If you experienced hair loss it could be from the increase in metabolic rate, just the way some people experience hair loss when taking too much thyroid (a temporary and transient effect). Taurine also boosts dopamine and testosterone greatly, so it wouldn't seem to be he kind of substance that raises prolactin. I could be wrong but my experience from it has been very positive.

natedawggh

Long time lurker here. Taurine gives me insomnia. I know, sounds contradictory, but it has some kind of a build up effect with me, and someone else on another forum speculated it might be because of a rebound effect of glutamate..homeostasis kind of thing. Don't know if this is true, but I'll go with it in my case LOL.

I like those Rockstar energy drinks, but if I have one for like 3 consecutive days, the insomnia starts to kick in. I've taken the powder on it's own before with the same effect. I know its not the caffeine because I'm a regular coffee drinker.

That's interesting about it raising prolactin, I did not know that.
No taurine gave me insomnia when I first took it too, and I mistook that for a negative side effect. But what's happening is that it's stimulating energy production and your body's not been used to having that much energy. Ease into the dosing and after a few weeks it will be helping with sleep. Also, stopping taurine can cause a serotonin rebound headache much the way withdrawal from caffeine does. Those rockstars have a lot more than taurine in them. I would not drink them if I were you. I don't have a problem with red bull though.

Rand56

No taurine gave me insomnia when I first took it too, and I mistook that for a negative side effect. But what's happening is that it's stimulating energy production and your body's not been used to having that much energy. Ease into the dosing and after a few weeks it will be helping with sleep. Also, stopping taurine can cause a serotonin rebound headache much the way withdrawal from caffeine does. Those rockstars have a lot more than taurine in them. I would not drink them if I were you. I don't have a problem with red bull though.

Since you say the insomnia stems from energy production its not used to, could this be because of low thyroid? I'm currently taking Tyromax, and just yesterday upped it to 2 drops oral per day. I stayed on 1 drop oral for a few weeks.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals