Can Weight Gained From Cyproheptadine Ever Be Lost?

ilovethesea

I've been taking cypro for about a year and it really helped me. But it also made me gain weight. Not sure exactly how much as I don't weigh myself, but some pants are too snug to be able to wear.

Is cypro weight gain really permanent? I know it says this on the bottle but is that really true?

I tried cutting fat and I haven't had starches for many months but it hasn't made any difference. It seemed I gained this weight within a couple months of taking it and now it doesn't budge up or down no matter what.

I want to keep taking the cypro every few nights, just 1-2mg as a maintenance dose, since it has so many benefits... I just hate the weight gain part.

I only do walking as exercise since I didn't want to add further stress while healing. In the past exercise has been the only way I've ever lost weight.

Dean

What? The bottle actually says any weight gained while on cypro is permanent? That's bizarre. Is it glandular fat? Like they say you can never lose the fat from gynocomastia because it is glandular.

A

Anonymous

The weight gain is permanent if you are low thyroid. Cypro is putting your body in the right state to improve metabolism. If you supress stress hormones which have been compensating for low metabolism but you don't add thyroid hormone assuming you need it, your not going to lose the weight. People avoid these meds because weight gain is a side effect. But what they don't realize is that over the long run the med actually is putting them in a position to lose weight properly.

In my opinion the ability to gain weight is actually an indicator of good metabolism, whereas someone who cannot gain weight at all is probably in a worse state of health

InChristAlone

I agree with JR someone else who can't gain weight (and is very thin) is in worse health than someone who has more fat. Remember cancer is a wasting state. How overweight are you? I am using cypro to put on some healthy weight and it is definitely working and I don't care if in the end I gain more than that wanted.

Dean

I have glacial metabolism and hypothyroidism and have still managed to lose weight numerous times over the course of my life, sometimes a lot of weight. So, it still seems bizarre to me that they would put on the label that any weight you gained while taking the product will never be able to be shed, by anyone.

My current theory of why cyproheptadine increases appetite is that it simply lowers the stress hormones to reveal a normal and regular appetite that's said to be 'increased' only in comparison to our previous stress-fuelled-appetite-lowering state.

Since metabolism is still likely to be deranged (poor liver, FFA in blood stream, lack of B-vitamins), sugar consumed is likely to be stored as fat.

The fat gained from cyproheptadine is no different to fat gained from any other substance and so it'll come off, when it does, just the same as any other type of fat.

A

Anonymous

cantstoppeating said:
My current theory of why cyproheptadine increases appetite is that it simply lowers the stress hormones to reveal a normal and regular appetite that's said to be 'increased' only in comparison to our previous stress-fuelled-appetite-lowering state.

Since metabolism is still likely to be deranged (poor liver, FFA in blood stream, lack of B-vitamins), sugar consumed is likely to be stored as fat.

The fat gained from cyproheptadine is no different to fat gained from any other substance and so it'll come off, when it does, just the same as any other type.

Lol your theory? Or a concept that has been discussed in countless posts on this forum?

JRMoney15 said:
cantstoppeating said:

The fat gained from cyproheptadine is no different to fat gained from any other substance and so it'll come off, when it does, just the same as any other type.

Lol your theory? Or a concept that has been discussed in countless posts on this forum?

Yes, my current theory.

tara

Cyproheptadine is prescribed in some places to help people with recovery from anorexia. In this context, gaining weight and not immediately losing it is a good thing.

tara

cantstoppeating said:

This seems credible to me.
Probably some of the weight gain is fat, and depending on one's state, some of it will be gains in other organs.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Dean said:
What? The bottle actually says any weight gained while on cypro is permanent? That's bizarre. Is it glandular fat? Like they say you can never lose the fat from gynocomastia because it is glandular.

I think it says that on the pills. I switched to the liquid and the label says "Helps promote weight gain".

What is glandular fat? Like bigger boobs? I noticed that actually but it's not a problem as I am female :) I wasn't sure if that was from the cypro or progesterone.

I gained fat on my thighs and upper arms as well.

OP
I

ilovethesea

JRMoney15 said:
The weight gain is permanent if you are low thyroid. Cypro is putting your body in the right state to improve metabolism. If you supress stress hormones which have been compensating for low metabolism but you don't add thyroid hormone assuming you need it, your not going to lose the weight. People avoid these meds because weight gain is a side effect. But what they don't realize is that over the long run the med actually is putting them in a position to lose weight properly.

In my opinion the ability to gain weight is actually an indicator of good metabolism, whereas someone who cannot gain weight at all is probably in a worse state of health

Ok I've been taking thyroid for quite a while before I started the cyproheptadine. I experimented with higher doses in the winters, and higher T3 ratio (1:1) but the weight never seemed to change. I think I gained it in the first couple months of taking cypro and then plateaued for all these months at the weight I still am today.

It seems that correcting hypothyroidism isn't always as simple as just taking the pills. I still struggle to find my optimal dose and ratio, and the recent T3 shortage is not helping matters.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Janelle525 said:
I agree with JR someone else who can't gain weight (and is very thin) is in worse health than someone who has more fat. Remember cancer is a wasting state. How overweight are you? I am using cypro to put on some healthy weight and it is definitely working and I don't care if in the end I gain more than that wanted.

I don't know. I don't weigh myself. I don't think anyone would call me "overweight". My same size clothes for the most part still fit. I maybe gained 15, 20 lbs? Just guessing.

I just feel like there is an overall layer of flab that I never had before.

I haven't experienced the body composition improvements other people talk about on this diet - it's been the opposite. I had more muscle before I started, when I was doing lots of cardio and weight training (which I since gave up). Or maybe the muscle is still there, just buried now.

I also feel like I got an increase in cellulite. Maybe that's just from being fatter though.

OP
I

ilovethesea

cantstoppeating said:

I hope so. Your theory makes sense. I never thought I was a restrictive eater, never dieted to lose weight in the past. But it was shocking to me to see in Cronometer how little calories I used to eat. To get over 2000 would be very rare. Now I exceed that easily. I hadn't noticed this was from the cyproheptadine but it makes sense it would make it easier to eat more. I think I only got the hang of eating enough in 2015... it was really hard to get enough calories last year when I cut out starches. I'm sure I caused some bad stress reactions from taking thyroid on not enough calories.

I had elevated liver enzymes before I found Ray Peat, they came down after but I'm sure my liver is still ****88. I eat 1 tbsp raw beef liver a day for the A and B vitamins. I think like most hypo people I have a problem holding onto the vitamins.

I don't know if I should add back in exercise at this point or not. I don't want to harm my progress with healing my metabolism.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I think cyproheptadine increases appetite due to central H1 antagonism. Quetiapine is a potent central H1 antagonist, which reputedly explains its sedative, appetite-stimulating and weight-gaining effects.

No weight gain is permanent.

artist

mujuro said:
post 99225 I think cyproheptadine increases appetite due to central H1 antagonism. Quetiapine is a potent central H1 antagonist, which reputedly explains its sedative, appetite-stimulating and weight-gaining effects.

Yes, and actually all antihistamines are known to stimulate appetite and thus cause weight gain via this mechanism. It's possible that lowering stress hormones is involved too I suppose, but antihistamines and weight gain go together.

I've lost a good 10-15 pounds hitting my ideal weight from doing a Peat-approved diet but I keep it fairly low fat which seems to be the key for most people

Last edited by a moderator:

Peata

ilovethesea said:
post 79635 I've been taking cypro for about a year and it really helped me. But it also made me gain weight. Not sure exactly how much as I don't weigh myself, but some pants are too snug to be able to wear.

Is cypro weight gain really permanent? I know it says this on the bottle but is that really true?

In my experience, no, it's not permanent.

mujuro

Forum Supporter
artist said:
mujuro said:
post 99225 I think cyproheptadine increases appetite due to central H1 antagonism. Quetiapine is a potent central H1 antagonist, which reputedly explains its sedative, appetite-stimulating and weight-gaining effects.

Yes, and actually all antihistamines are known to stimulate appetite and thus cause weight gain via this mechanism. It's possible that lowering stress hormones is involved too I suppose, but antihistamines and weight gain go together.

I've lost a good 10-15 pounds hitting my ideal weight from doing a Peat-approved diet but I keep it fairly low fat which seems to be the key for most people

Speaking as someone with 8 years of seroquel experience, I do say that the weight gain is independent of appetite or calorie balance. Something else is happening. I remember I heard someone say that antipsychotics change JAK activity. I don't think is thyroid either, as there are no other thyroid symptoms. I am tall and muscular. There is no way I eat to maintain my body weight, at least not in the last month. My weight should have gone down. People with my dimensions and musculature struggle to even maintain the fat ... and yet I gain weight with each passing month. I have only just realized (that its sneaking away) and began to do something about it.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Peata said:
post 99243
ilovethesea said:
post 79635 I've been taking cypro for about a year and it really helped me. But it also made me gain weight. Not sure exactly how much as I don't weigh myself, but some pants are too snug to be able to wear.

In my experience, no, it's not permanent.

Did you lose some weight recently Peata? What worked for you - did you stop the cypro?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals