Progesterone Works Wonders But It's Causing Weight Gain?

beachbum

Actually up ~20lbs, but losing cortisol fat stores mid section (belt sized has been decreasing). I suspect lean mass and bone mass up, and maybe organ mass?

Staples; skim milk, 0% fat cottage cheese, gelatin, white sugar, honey, jams, ripe/cooked fruits, OJ and AJ, weekly liver, gummy bears, daily raw carrot

Supplements; Tocovit, Energin, vitamin A/K, weekly aspirin, red light
Thank yooooooou very much.

BelovedGal

I'm 29 F... I had the same effects with transdermal progesterone. I was using Emerita pro-gest individual packets. But after switching to oral Progest E (I swallow some and rub some on my lips/gums) and Simply Progesterone Serum, all I can say is WOW. I have lost major water weight and my other Estrogen symptoms have greatly improved. And it's only been a month. I think that weak progesterone supplementation kind of activates estrogen but isn't strong enough to overcome it. At least that's the feeling I get. With the oral solution I am doing 3 big drops 5x a day. This is also a much higher dose than the transdermal. I think @lisaferraro is right - increase the dose a lot and I would advise switching to Progest E or Simply Progesterone Serum.

Simple Progesterone Serum? First I've heard of this. Been using progesterone creams since menopause 16 years ago, but considering trying Progest-E and am reading all I can about it now and the advice and experiences of people who've tried it. Can you tell me more about this Serum?

BelovedGal

@Emstar1892 Progesterone unbinds and removes estrogen from cells and if your liver cant attach glucuronic acid to it ( which is made by the liver from glucose ) so it can be excreted it might be removed from one place just to settle somewhere else. Hows your liver function? Can you go several hours without getting hypoglycemic symptoms? Cold hands, feet, nose, and impatience for example. Hypothyroidism can create liver problems, and when that happens estrogen will continue to circulate, building up over time. Kind of like if you were on the titanic while it was sinking, being stuck in a room thats slowly filling up with water ( estrogen ) you are given a bucket ( progesterone ) so as to scoop the water and throw it out of the room, except the window ( your liver ) is stuck shut so scooping and throwing the water up against the window does nothing but run down the wall back into the continuously filling room. This forum has many good threads discussing ways to improve liver function, which you might find helpful. Take care! I hope you can get it figured out!

You're a wealth of information! I'm learning a lot here! :happy:

Eluzoe

Will circle back around with a post about my diet. Running to work now. Very interesting about your food consistency with only change being progesterone. I would not ignore this. Might be important to watch closely. Also compare full health experience before progesterone and after. Would be interesting to see how they compare and if a bit extra weight is worth the trade off. Might be. Might not be.
Hi lisa- newbies/ hope I can find your response- unfamiliar with posting etc- just started the progest e yesterday and would like some dosage advice so I avoid under dosing- could we chat privately?
Thanks lisa

Obi-wan

I wanted to add that @haidut products, Progestene with TocoVit rubbed on the gums works very well. So well that if you overdo it, it will kind of knock you out. If that happens I do a drop of Tyronene to pick me back up! I totally agree with what @tca300 said in this thread. I am a 60 year old male trying to recover from advanced prostate cancer and I can feel this protocol working.

LadyRae

@Peata
" I think it’s that even a moderate intake of PUFA becomes toxic eventually with a high calorie intake, because it’s stored rather than being used right away as fuel. With minimal PUFA, the metabolic rate increases, reducing fat deposition." - Ray Peat

Indicating one of the main benefits of increased metabolism is to use all the fuel you eat rather than it being stored. So best case scenario you eat no more than you are able to burn. The body doesn't want to lose fat once it has it, and it will do many things to try and keep it, like subconsciously reducing your physical movements, eating more than needed etc.. With a small calorie deficit, vitamin E, Aspirin, and Coconut oil, there is nothing wrong with a little fat being pulled from your stores. Other than liposuction, there really is no other way to lose fat. The small amount of stress hormones released from a minor calorie deficit are often amplified by hypothyroidism, vitamin e deficiency, and high PUFA stores. ( " Vitamin E protects against the stored PUFA " - Ray Peat " Fat people usually have circulating free PUFA, and coconut oil can counteract their effects. " ~ Ray Peat ) Eating a diet that raises the metabolism so you can eat more and still lose weight is important, other wise some people have to cut to 1000 calories or less. People over zealous with fat loss that cut calories way too low looking for faster results. ( " If a person doesn't lose excess weight on a moderately low calorie diet with adequate protein, it's clear that the metabolic rate is low." ~ Ray Peat ) Ultimately eating a good diet low in PUFA and reducing weight slowly ( if needed ) while using things like vitamin E, aspirin, and coconut oil for a few years, or until the weight is lost, then finding how much food allows you to maintain the weight your most comfortable at is the way to do it. I'm quite surprised people still think there is a magical way to eat all you want and never gain weight, even with pro metabolic foods, there is still a point at which fat deposition occurs, without exception. For people who haven't gained excess weight, its best not to go down that road in the first place, because fat loss seems to be somewhat stressful, but like I said, after the excess weight is lost, then maintaining that new weight set point by not eating more than you personally need is not stressful. Maintenance is perfectly fine and fully compatible with health. Calorie needs are highly individual and listening to people who over simplify, and say things like " you need at least 3000 kcals to function properly.. etc.." often will lead people down the road of unwanted fat gain, if that far surpasses their individual fuel needs. Thats my personal opinion based on years of learning, observation, experimentation, and what Ray has said. Im not interested in arguing, so anyone who tries to will be left without a response.
I agree! This is a very helpful posts, thank you!

Birdie

I agree! This is a very helpful posts, thank you!
I agree too. And this especially:

"Ultimately eating a good diet low in PUFA and reducing weight slowly ( if needed ) while using things like vitamin E, aspirin, and coconut oil for a few years, or until the weight is lost..."

The long term feel of it. What never worked for me was the fast approach...the diet. Yay Ray.

Birdie

Caller: My question is about Dr. Peat’s newsletter on “ Tissue-bound estrogen and aging”: he mentions that menopausal women often get high estrogen concentration in their tissue, as opposed to their blood. Could they get a dose of progesterone to knock it out of their tissue into their blood, and then get a phlebotomy ? Would that help to decrease systemic estrogen ?

RP: No. If the liver is working, and if you’re eating enough protein, and if your thyroid is ok, your liver will send the estrogen straight to your kidneys, to be excreted, as soon as the progesterone gets it out of your cells into the bloodstream.
And there are several enzyme systems involved in this: the progesterone basically destroys the estrogen receptor that binds estrogen. It destroys the enzyme that releases estrogen from the glucuronic form deposited in cells. It activates the enzymes that add the glucuronic acid to remove it from cells. And it shifts the oxidative enzymes, so that they destroy the active form of estrogen. So, everything progesterone does to estrogen system, gets it out of the cells, then your liver will send it to your kidneys to excrete.

HD: And progesterone helps the liver to get rid of excess estrogen as well.

RP: Yeah. Progesterone activates the thyroid to do that.
Thanks. I like to think of, "if your thyroid is ok, your liver will send the estrogen straight to your kidneys,.."
Okay, I'm increasingly my progesterone. I've been doing 3 big drops in the morning. The thing is it makes me choke unless I drink tea afterwards. Have to figure that out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals