Can you help me interpret my high SHBG and high prolactin Medichecks? With pics!

Screenshot_20230511-231210.png
Screenshot_20230511-231235.png

Any reasoning behind this? Any immediate action you'd take? 30yo male. Appreciate you might want diet info etc. So please ask away for whatever might be relevant.

Laurence

When I took grape seed extract my SHGB was as high as 83 nmol/L.
Down to between 40 and 50 these days.
Are you supplementing with any polyphenols?

OP
T
When I took grape seed extract my SHGB was as high as 83 nmol/L.
Down to between 40 and 50 these days.
Are you supplementing with any polyphenols?

Interesting, but no I haven't! Thanks for the heads up though.

OP
T
What is your diet like? Low carb? Fasting? Low protein?
Lots of fruit, moderate starches, milk, muscle meats, occasional bread if it's convenient. I believe my protein is around 110g daily, carbs around 200g and the rest from fats.

EDIT: Also, I've been weightlifting every other day or two, which is something the "doctor" said could cause my high SHBG.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Lots of fruit, moderate starches, milk, muscle meats, occasional bread if it's convenient. I believe my protein is around 110g daily, carbs around 200g and the rest from fats.

EDIT: Also, I've been weightlifting every other day or two, which is something the "doctor" said could cause my high SHBG.
Things that lower SBHG include:
  • Insulin
  • Protein
  • Zinc
  • Low fiber diet
  • Exercise
  • IGF-1
  • Vitamin D
  • Thyroid
  • Magnesium
Things that increase it include fasting, low calorie diets and low carb diets. Most people I work with that have high SHBG use to eat low carb or do intermittent fasting.
Carb intake of 200g should be enough to lower SHBG, unless you're eating in a deficit and your fasting insulin is low.
Zinc, magnesium and B6 can reliably lower prolactin. Some sort of stress on/in the body is usually the reason for high prolactin.

OP
T
Things that lower SBHG include:
  • Insulin
  • Protein
  • Zinc
  • Low fiber diet
  • Exercise
  • IGF-1
  • Vitamin D
  • Thyroid
  • Magnesium
Things that increase it include fasting, low calorie diets and low carb diets. Most people I work with that have high SHBG use to eat low carb or do intermittent fasting.
Carb intake of 200g should be enough to lower SHBG, unless you're eating in a deficit and your fasting insulin is low.
Zinc, magnesium and B6 can reliably lower prolactin. Some sort of stress on/in the body is usually the reason for high prolactin.
Thanks Hans. Would you recommend any further bloods to further illuminate the matter before trying any remedies in particular? Besides the magnesium, Vit D, Zinc etc. you listed.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks Hans. Would you recommend any further bloods to further illuminate the matter before trying any remedies in particular? Besides the magnesium, Vit D, Zinc etc. you listed.
What are your main protein sources?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Currently beef, milk, and low fat Greek yogurt. Occasional chicken thrown in but I avoid it mostly.
What supplements are you using?
How is your digestion?
What are your main symptoms?
Do you have hypothyroid symptoms?

OP
T
What supplements are you using?
How is your digestion?
What are your main symptoms?
Do you have hypothyroid symptoms?
No supplements.

Digestion is fine in terms of BM but sometimes I do get quite bloated after large meals. I haven't put this down to any food in particular, just large meals which probably wouldn't bloat other people but they bloat me. Feels as though my digestive system doesn't have as much 'capacity' as other people's!

Symptoms - it's a very slow slog putting on muscle and losing stubborn fat around the middle. I can do it but it takes an incredible amount of effort over months to see the smallest (if any) difference. Muscle falls off me very easily. Quite severe hairloss trouble when I was young, about 10 years ago. I would say about 1 day a week I get quite depressed emotionally and it takes a day to get me feeling okay again. It's nothing in particular, I just feel desperate and unhappy in my life for a day and then it goes away. I'm prone to contemplating life's big questions, overthinking, and beating myself up about stuff. Beyond that, my complexion and/or puffiness is very prone to change and I can't figure out the dietary component. One day I'll look fresh, svelt and healthy eating X foods and two days later I look pale, puffy and tired eating X foods. And then I get random drops in energy accompanied by brainfog. Maybe 5-6 hours a week? Again, can't track where or why these come on. A diet that seems to work for 9 days will suddenly feel off on the 10th day. All of the above make it sound quite desperate, but it isn't. 90% of the time I'm energetic, happy etc. I would say out of everything that bothers me, it's in the inability to shift the belly fat despite eating what all my research tells me should allow me to drop that weight with exercise. And then the random puffiness. I believe the depression issues are due to life circumstances and my psychological tendencies.

In terms of hypothyroid symptoms, my temps still are a little low sometimes. And SOMETIMES, for whatever reason, I'll eat a big meal, feel really warm and satiated, check my temps, and they're lower than ever. Like 36.4 or similar.

Sorry Hans, that must just sound like a jumble of information..

Hans

Forum Supporter
No supplements.

Digestion is fine in terms of BM but sometimes I do get quite bloated after large meals. I haven't put this down to any food in particular, just large meals which probably wouldn't bloat other people but they bloat me. Feels as though my digestive system doesn't have as much 'capacity' as other people's!

Symptoms - it's a very slow slog putting on muscle and losing stubborn fat around the middle. I can do it but it takes an incredible amount of effort over months to see the smallest (if any) difference. Muscle falls off me very easily. Quite severe hairloss trouble when I was young, about 10 years ago. I would say about 1 day a week I get quite depressed emotionally and it takes a day to get me feeling okay again. It's nothing in particular, I just feel desperate and unhappy in my life for a day and then it goes away. I'm prone to contemplating life's big questions, overthinking, and beating myself up about stuff. Beyond that, my complexion and/or puffiness is very prone to change and I can't figure out the dietary component. One day I'll look fresh, svelt and healthy eating X foods and two days later I look pale, puffy and tired eating X foods. And then I get random drops in energy accompanied by brainfog. Maybe 5-6 hours a week? Again, can't track where or why these come on. A diet that seems to work for 9 days will suddenly feel off on the 10th day. All of the above make it sound quite desperate, but it isn't. 90% of the time I'm energetic, happy etc. I would say out of everything that bothers me, it's in the inability to shift the belly fat despite eating what all my research tells me should allow me to drop that weight with exercise. And then the random puffiness. I believe the depression issues are due to life circumstances and my psychological tendencies.

In terms of hypothyroid symptoms, my temps still are a little low sometimes. And SOMETIMES, for whatever reason, I'll eat a big meal, feel really warm and satiated, check my temps, and they're lower than ever. Like 36.4 or similar.

Sorry Hans, that must just sound like a jumble of information..
No, it's helpful thank you.
Prolactin is increased by serotonin, estrogen, hypothyroidism, stress and ejaculation as well as dopamine antagonists. Also nutritional deficiencies. It's likely a combination of all these in your case.
Most of the serotonin is created in the gut, so any gut issue will likely increase prolactin. But I'd rather say that a nutritional deficiency is causing prolactin to be that high.

A lot of my clients get a boost boost in their temperature by eating liver and taking activated charcoal. Which points to nutritional deficiencies and gut toxins as the cause.

OP
T
No, it's helpful thank you.
Prolactin is increased by serotonin, estrogen, hypothyroidism, stress and ejaculation as well as dopamine antagonists. Also nutritional deficiencies. It's likely a combination of all these in your case.
Most of the serotonin is created in the gut, so any gut issue will likely increase prolactin. But I'd rather say that a nutritional deficiency is causing prolactin to be that high.

A lot of my clients get a boost boost in their temperature by eating liver and taking activated charcoal. Which points to nutritional deficiencies and gut toxins as the cause.
Thanks again Hans. I have tried regular liver in the past but ended up giving up as it wasn't convenient and didn't notice an immediate difference. Will try again over a longer period.

So you think that is likely the cause of the high SHBG also, and that's compounding with high prolactin? To cause the estrogenic fat distribution, hard to build muscle etc?

In the case of gut health, would you recommend any type of stool analysis or won't that get me far?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks again Hans. I have tried regular liver in the past but ended up giving up as it wasn't convenient and didn't notice an immediate difference. Will try again over a longer period.

So you think that is likely the cause of the high SHBG also, and that's compounding with high prolactin? To cause the estrogenic fat distribution, hard to build muscle etc?

In the case of gut health, would you recommend any type of stool analysis or won't that get me far?
A lot of people report that they struggle to build muscle or lose fat when their gut health isn't optimal.
There are many solutions. I like AC and black cumin, but it's key to optimize your vir D and thyroid also to optimize gut health.
Some people benefit from phages, anti-microbials, anti-fungals, probiotics, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals