CO2 Tables - A Freediving Perspective

wtf

*Right off the bat I want to post a disclaimer that I am far from experienced in Freediving and have only started dabbling in this world.

CO2 tables are a training method that freedivers use to acclimate their bodies to the high levels of CO2 experienced in a dive, Briefly they are constructed by holding ones breath for a set time while diminishing ones breathup inbetween reps. I suspect that they may be in alignment with Ray Peats thoughts on the benefits of CO2. On the other hand 02 tables are used to acclimate body to hypoxic conditions experienced in the limit dive. These 02 tables may be in detriment to the conditions required for elevated metabolism.

For example CO2 table using 1 min hold:
1:00 min hold, breath up 2:00 mins (recover)
1:00 hold, 1:45 recovery
1:00 hold, 1:30 recovery
1:00 hold, 1:15 recovery
1:00 hold: 1:00 recovery
1:00 hold, 0:45 recovery
1:00 hold, 0:30 recovery
1:00 hold, 0:15 recovery

[CO2] Usually done for 8 reps per set as shown above once or twice a day, 3 times a week. And scale hold time based off of prev. training with hold ~50% of max hold. O2 saturation remains high.

For completeness here is an example of an 02 table (opposite symmetrical construction of CO2 Table):
1:15 hold, 2:00 recovery
1:45 hold, 2:00 recovery
2:15 hold, 2:00 recovery
2:45 hold, 2:00 recovery
3:15 hold, 2:00 recovery
3:45 hold, 2:00 recovery
(recovery remains constant and hold increases at some rate up to about 80% static limit hold)

[O2] usually done everyday leading up to a competition or diving trip. O2 saturation levels fall drastically.

I can attest that this method greatly advances the beginner trainee and in one month my breath hold went from 1:45 to 3:45 when done every other day. Both methods can be quite taxing on the body and I would recommend doing after any training or on off days.

What I am really interested in is what does the Ray peat community think of such techniques and, if they are of benefit, make aware of such straight forward training techniques. I believe there may be some value in the CO2 tables done regularly, and potential metabolism consequences from O2 tables if done chronically however I believe there may be some hormetic value in the later.

Freedive UK <-- For some more information

Normal Human

The CO2 tables are similar to the method Buteyko used to help people increase their CO2 retention. However, they do not recommend doing a "maximum pause" greater than 2 minutes, as this is when the negative effects of hypoxia manifest.

Learn Buteyko Online

firebreather

Except Buteyko teaches breath holds after the exhale but most of the free dive training I’ve looked into teaches holding the breath after the inhale

Very curious as to why the difference but never found a solid answer

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals