Vitamin E: Its Alleviation of Hypervitaminosis A

Jamsey

I came across this study today and noticed it was posted by @youngsinatra a while back. I thought I’d give it it’s own post to dig into its specifics.

“HYPERVITAMINOSIS A has been re- ported in several species particularly in domestic pets (Seawright et al., 1965) which were fed large amounts of liver, and in humans (Persson et al., 1965) due to therapeutic overdoses of vitamin A. High levels of this vitamin were also shown to have a detrimental effect on calcification in cows (Manston, 1966). On the other hand, comparable levels of vitamin A have been
used experimentally in combination with massive doses of vitamin D3 to treat milk fever in lactating cows (Payne and Man- ston, 1967) without toxic effects of either vitamin. This antagonistic action of vita- mins A and D on the toxicity of each other has been studied in chicks by Taylor et al. (1968). The present report indicates that the toxicity due to excessive vitamin A can be counteracted by large doses of vitamin E.”

“Preliminary studies indicated that a high level of dietary vitamin E ameliorated the growth depression caused by excess dietary vitamin A and the following experiment was conducted to confirm the relationship between the two vitamins at high levels.”

“vitamin A (gelatinized beadlet form) was added at a level of 3,250,000 I.U.Ag- of diet and vitamin E as pure dl-alpha tocopheryl ace- tate was dissolved in the soybean oil portion of the diet to give a final level of 10,000 I.U.Ag- (1-0% of the diet). These levels of vitamins A and E are approximately a thou- sand times the normal optimum amounts.”

“The data in Table 1 show that the mortality at 32 days was high on the vitamin A diet. Simultaneous feeding of large amounts of vitamin E with vitamin A (treatment 3) completely prevented this effect.”

“High dietary vitamin A also markedly
depressed the growth of chicks (Fig. 1)
and this was largely overcome by the inclusion of excess vitamin E throughout the feeding period.
However, recovery from vitamin A-induced growth depression at the 18th day was not facilitated by excess vitamin E (treatment 6 vs. 5)”

The livers of birds fed high vitamin A
alone were small and clay-coloured. Those of the high vitamin E animals were larger and darker red than the controls. The control and vitamin A + E livers appeared similar.

I found this line interesting “However, recovery from vitamin A-induced growth depression at the 18th day was not facilitated by excess vitamin E.” It was shown in this study that excess vitamin a(thousand times rda) will depress growth(~45% control) and increase mortality. Taking excess vitamin e with the vitamin a(treatment 3) depressed much of this effect, leading to 80% of normal growth and no increase in mortality. Looking at growth recovery after the vitamin a induced damage painted a different picture. Examining treatment groups 5 vs 6, (treatment 5: vitamin a switched to control, treatment 6: vitamin a switched to control + vitamin e), there was a no difference in the recovery of growth(~70% control growth) but there was a difference in mortality(10 vs 14 chicks alive at day 32). However, the way I interpreted the difference in growth between treatment 3 and treatment 6(~70 vs ~80 percent growth) is essentially if you take puberty blocking drugs during puberty and then stop taking them after, you will not have the same growth as someone who went through puberty normally.

That’s my interpretation. If you think you have hypervitaminosis a, maybe take some vitamin e.
Also, read this thread by amazoniac if you want more info on the interactions between these vitamins.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals